Best Buy Reviews in North Wales, PA | Glassdoor

North Wales, PA

2.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Working all holidays (work/life balance)" (in 481 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 554 reviews)

1. "One of the better retail places to work at"

Former Employee - Computers Specialist in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Computers Specialist in North Wales, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At my time here at Best Buy they were very flexible with my scheduling around school, I would assume that would apply to having a good management, which is what our Best Buy had. Best Buy has great employee discounts which included in-store purchases and employee only accommodations online. Most employees enjoy the job which made working with them fun and time moved fast.

Cons

At the end of the day, working at Best Buy is all about the sales, if you can't handle the pressure of having numbers told to you and being told to try hard to close the sale then maybe the job isn't right for you. Some managers can be deceptive and conning, but you usually don't seem them around too long. The pay isn't too bad for a full-timer trying to make it by, but as a part-timer, the expected work is a bit much for the pay.

Advice to Management

Management takes some of their best workers for granted. They turn a blind eye to some people who would be willing to take the corporate route or don't provide for part-timers who are better employees than their full-timers

2. "I enjoy working here overall, but the management needs some work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Wales, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Wales, PA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I personally enjoy working at Best Buy. It is a stable working environment, and it is honestly rather easy. We do get pretty amazing discounts on a lot of electronics, and we have the knowledge to go along with our purchases. If you enjoy working with customers, this could be a great place for you to work. The other thing is that right now there is a bit of potential to move up within the company. I already know what my next two moves will be if I decide to stay for longer. And no, I'm not just some high school kid looking for a bit of cash on the side. I'm actually a college graduate, who genuinely enjoys working with people and finding them the solutions they need. I truly enjoy my job. I love the people I work with, and the customers I help. Yes, occasionally we get the customer that just will not be happy. Yes, I have gotten yelled at by customers for no reason. But it's all the nice customers, the ones who listen to our opinion, that make it all worth it.

Cons

In this particular store, the work you do that is outside of your job description is rarely noticed or appreciated. Also, the management has no continuity. Within the past year or so, there have been at least three General Managers. That means three different strategies on how this store should be run, three different personalities, and three different people to have to learn to work with. Really the biggest downside of working here is that you occasionally have terrible customers. No, the customer is not always right. You are entitled to have your opinion, but my knowledge should overall outweigh your opinion. I will ask for your opinion if I want it. Don't give it to me otherwise. Finally, if you ask me a question, listen to my answer. If you didn't want to know or didn't want my opinion, don't ask.

Advice to Management

If you, as the manager, tell the employee that we cannot do anything beyond what we have already done for the customer, DO NOT go around us (the employee) and tell the customer we can do more. It makes the customer less trustworthy of the employee because you have undermined what we were told to tell them. Second, do not micromanage us. We know we are supposed to contact customers. It's part of our job description. Remind us to be checking the aisles, if we look like we haven't been, but don't constantly patrol our department. We can do that. Also, put more faith in your supervisors; it is their job to supervise us, it is your job to coach them. Finally, Be someone that we want to look up to. I was hoping that the new GM was going to be someone that we could look up to, but since he started back at this store, I have been sorely disappointed. Overall, I think you have a good plan. But your execution of that plan has some flaws.

3. "Don't work here!"

Current Employee - Sales in North Wales, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in North Wales, PA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Honestly? I can't think of anything, not even the discount was worth staying for.

Cons

Where do I start? Train people! Or at least find ppl in the store that will WANT to train people. I had the worst experience on my first day there, I don't ever plan to go back, let alone be a customer there again. No way!

Advice to Management

Find better hires, the people in your store don't respect the GM or move w a sense of urgency to help customers. Almost every employee was on their phones in plain sight of the customers, some texting while helping the customers. The whole environment preaches professionalism but everyone is so laid back about everything. Also find a more simple interface for your computer system, "you're an electronic store, and your systems are so slow." That's a quote from an employee working there.
    Oh and if you ever call customer service and they offer to take your name and number for a message for another department, don't bother... your message sits at the customer service desk, and usually that department can't come to the phone, not just because they're busy w in store customers, but because they don't want to take the call.
    I refuse to represent or shop at a company that cares more about the dollar then their customers needs satisfaction and happiness.
    I saw so many incidents that could have been handled differently w customers leaving happy not frustrated.

I certainly will not only not work here again, but I refuse to shop here ever either, Hello Amazon!

4. "Good Discount"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Wales, PA

Pros

Good Employee Discount
    fellow employees are nice
    building sales and communication skills
    good for part time job during high school

Cons

Sunday morning meeting
    working EVERY Sunday (and A LOT of nights)
    having managers act like you are on commission when you really arent
    having some clueless managers

Advice to Management

Place was much more structured and managed when i started, four years later, it seemed as if no one knew what they were doing.

Showing 4 of 17,042 reviews