Best Buy Reviews in Norwich, CT | Glassdoor

Norwich, CT Area

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life balance can use some work" (in 495 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 562 reviews)

1. "Great place as a first job"

Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Waterford, CT
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Waterford, CT

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, the largest consumer retail company in the world, so if that's what you want to go into, great company to start with. employees tend to be upbeat and competitive, great working environment

Cons

management can sometimes be a bit overwhelming
    if your not ready, holiday season can be hell

Advice to Management

keep up the good work but stop stagnating employees who dont deserve higher positions over ones who do

2. "The Slow Death of a Tech Giant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, CT

Pros

There really weren't too many positive aspects of this job. The employee discount was nice and many of my immediate co-workers were fantastic people.

Cons

Where to begin. The entire experience was very disorganized. Work schedules were often put out at the last second. Training was essentially non-existent. As a sales rep, we were given no commission, (and were even told to use this as a sales point when talking with customers, figuring that we would seem more honest if we didn't get any money based on what was sold) but we were constantly hounded about our sale numbers and efficiency. We were even told to lie to customers in order to add-on useless and overpriced components to their purchases.

Advice to Management

All in all, just awful.

3. "Great!"

Former Employee - LP/Inventory/Deliveries/You Name IT in Waterford, CT
    Former Employee - LP/Inventory/Deliveries/You Name IT in Waterford, CT

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Appreciation of hard workers, management will work with you if you have complaints, fun work environment.

Cons

Some times they will hire people who may be difficult to work with, probably not the best hiring process for some positions

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees!

4. "Computer sales associate"

Current Intern - Rd Engineering in New London, CT
    Current Intern - Rd Engineering in New London, CT

I have been working at Best Buy as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Best buy does produce good managers. Great bennifits and killer employee discount. The job also helps you develop sales skills. Great job to get in high school and college

Cons

There's a lot of corporate politics and procedures that you have to follow. They arnt very efficient. Also I don't fully agree with the pay for the amount of work you actually do

Advice to Management

I never had a problem with management. They awalys took care of me. For you to be a successful manager you need to learn how to take care of the workers under you

5. "Another employer that prefers part-time employees. Does little for the employee."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Waterford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Waterford, CT

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some focus on employee's technology expertise development. Friendly group of workers.

Cons

Pressure to sell, sell, sell.

Advice to Management

Most employees don't get enough hours. Part-time work provides few benefits.

6. "One of the best retail environments that I have ever worked in."

Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Waterford, CT
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Waterford, CT

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I still love going to work everyday. The training is phenomenal and the managers and supervisors don't babysit you. They expect you to know how to do your job and trust you to do it. Like many positions, you get what you put into it. If you work hard, you will be recognized and will move up. Within 3 months of working with the company I was given full time status and made a specialist in my department. Everybody has a generally good attitude and the atmosphere is fun.

Cons

The company does like to change the way they do things on an employee level quite often. Different supervisors have different things that they think will work, so if your supervisor changes, expect changes in your department. It sometimes feels like they try a shotgun approach to encouraging an increase in your personal sales goals, trying several different tactics hoping that one will motivate you. In the end, however, they are also pretty flexible so as long as you are meeting the goals, it is not a big deal.

7. "Not the same"

Current Employee - Manager in Waterford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Waterford, CT

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team members, good discount. Fun atmosphere and always in touch with the latest technologies. Can get transferred anywhere there is another Best Buy.

Cons

It's supposed to be non commissioned but with all the pressure on managers you'd think it was commission based. Upper management is clueless and is constantly changing things. Any day the company can do another reorg or change something drastically. You have to keep learning and selling the every changing protection plans. Pay is decent but raises are non existent to horrible. Work life balance is challenging especially November and December with managers having to work 6 days and 60 hours minimum for those months. Computer systems are outdated and complicated.

Advice to Management

Making employees work on thanksgiving costed the company a lot of employees and we weren't even as profitable as the prior year. Stop changing polices and offers so often.

8. "not bad starting out"

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Waterford, CT
    Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Waterford, CT

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

not a bad place to start out but long term is not sustainable

Cons

crapy management all they do is push for sales and numbers

9. "I loved coming to work every day"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waterford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waterford, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really fun team, great part time job, Just like working in an adult toy store, Awesome discounts, the people you meet there are always a good bunch

Cons

Hours are not always consistent, some stores will have you on for 8 hour shifts at a time, others go for 5

Advice to Management

Bring the old discount back, that's pretty much it

10. "Great retail job. On the other hand, a retail job."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New London, CT

Pros

Management focuses on building a strong team and connecting the employees to a common goal, which is what every company should be doing. In a retail field, most of the staffing is unmotivated 18-24 year-olds who are working retail for a reason. Realizing this, Best Buy has tooled their methods for getting them working together, knowledgeable by creating a cooperative but competitive training environment, and setting up their staffing correctly.

Cons

It's retail, so you get all the problems found at every retail store. It's also big business, so you get situations where you can tell Best Buy is going after every dollar it can, and as a non-commissioned sales rep you usually don't feel great about selling the customer on it. Most of the time it's pretty good, but it's not perfect.

Advice to Management

The management at my location is fantastic in terms of both how to manage and product knowledge. I do know that all locations are not like this however. If your store doesn't match the reasons I gave in the positive aspect, I'd suggest reevaluating.

Showing 10 of 17,579 reviews