Best Buy Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK | Glassdoor

Oklahoma City, OK Area

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close group and interactive experience

Cons

No cons to put here

2. "Great Job"

Current Employee - AT&T Mobile Expert in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - AT&T Mobile Expert in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount definitely makes it worth dealing with all the typical retail customers. The departments are all very tight knit within each other and feel like family. Management is great but sometimes can be very stressed therefore making everyone stressed but that is maybe 3 or 4 days of the month. Monthly bonus is always a HUGE perk, not many companies reward their employees monthly for their performance, I think it really helps motivate employees and make them feel like they’re definitely impacting the company.

Cons

I haven’t had a proper thanksgiving in three years. Also it’s retail so you always have to put up with annoying customers.

3. "Not bad for the money"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great coworkers, nice work environment, easy to learn, overall not hard

Cons

Strict management, metrics focused, hard hours during holiday season, poor training environment, under/over staffed constantly.

Advice to Management

Take it easier on the new guys. I had the general manager over my shoulder basically the whole time I worked there and it didn't help my performance in the slightest. It made me nervous around customers to know I was being watched so closely.

4. "Great people, Management needs to be better"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Norman, OK

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, great people, decent pay

Cons

your job accountabilities change practically every month

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, not wall street

5. "Sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not really any pros other than co workers

Cons

No support and they expect you to be unethical

6. "Specialty Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Specialty Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount is amazing, it's the main reason I've stayed on

Cons

Management is incredibly incompetent, they hardly ever stay in their area and actually help their employees

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

7. "I enjoyed my time with Geek Squad."

Former Employee - Geek Squad Agent Home Theater in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Agent Home Theater in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO, Independent work, training opportunities, chance for bonuses dependent on market, physically active work, supervisors were understanding of dangerous environmental factors (like heat, cold, insects) and were supportive of refusal to endanger oneself by attempting a job that was unsafe.

Cons

Store associates over promising services, micro managing, not much advancement opportunity, daily schedule not really locked in, so you work until job done, because of that and weekend work a requirement work life balance is tough.

Advice to Management

Seniority and time served should earn installers limited weekend work if they prefer, or at least a weekend day and weekday off back to back.

8. "Its pretty good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Good people and everyone is very frievdly

Cons

Not really too many, management coild be better

Advice to Management

less micro managing

"Home Sales Manager- was over running 9 departments and training and managing up to 45 employees."

Former Employee - Home Sales Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Home Sales Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company and vendor so sorted discounts were fantastic.

Bonus structure was great as well, especially when you have a team that works well together and exceed monthly goals.

For a Leadership position it was the consistent learning and training we received on management of people to merchandising, inventory, budgets, YOY growth, marketing campaigns and how to effective run one sponsored by corporate or vendors. Upward mobility was decent if you were willing to relocate to a different state in your region or territory.

For hourly employees, if they did their assigned tasks (which included e-learnings) the product trainings, induction training, sales training, Best Buy Culture training could make them into a great employee with great chances of upward mobility, or marketable for other jobs after college. 90% of the time hours were very flexible except around the holidays. They ultimately gave us an availability schedule and if that were put into the labor management system they could not be scheduled outside of their availability.

Cons

As a manager, work life balance was horrible. Even on my days off I would have conference calls, or emails that would require immediate attention. I understand being on salary and working 50-70 hours a week, but if you are scheduled off, then that should remain your time, not the company's.

The district politics and promotions based on the buddy system instead of the most qualified candidate was out of control. A lot of people in our district were related which made it virtually impossible to get your own store. Plus no matter how hard you worked, how good your numbers were, even if you were #1 there always was a District Manager telling you how bad you're performance is. Never ever any recognition for accomplishments.

Lastly, the goals set by corporate vs district expectations were difficult. If your FY budget is set be corporate at 2% over last year then that should be the set expectation, not the district changing the growth from 2% up to 5% YOY which makes the District expectations completely unattainable. Corporate just doesn't come up with these numbers wildly nilly, there are plenty of professionals up there that know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

The nepotism, and buddy system used in districts for promotions needs to be stopped. There are many well qualified candidates that are more than capable of doing the job, inside and outside the company.

Stop allowing district managers to come up with their own unrealistic YOY budgets, so they can line their own pockets with bonuses.

For District management;

#1- Sop making your own budgets, there are people at corporate that have degrees in corporate finance, and financial analysts who research these numbers thoroughly.

#2 Recognize your store managers for their performance if it is good. Positive reinforcement goes a long way. Stop making people fear you, loyalty, trust, and motivation are not built out of fear.

#3 Stop using hearsay and gossip to formulate an an opinion about a person, meet with them informally, get to know them as a person and as someone who can help you achieve your goals. The problem is you don't take the time to meet with your store leadership team members on an informal basis. Everything you see and know about them is based on other people talking about them and taking their opinion as fact when you really don't know what motivates them, what deflates them, what they are interested in in and outside the workplace, what they are passionate about, what their future goals are and offering to lead them down the path of greatness.

Most stressors are triggered by what event or impact your staff has on the store leadership, how they are treated by your staff, usually it's poorly, or fear of them losing their job that they work hard at and are good at for years. You need to know each and every manager as an individual. It makes managing them a whole lot easier. Trust me, I did that with my employees and they were 110% more engaged, productive, and willing to go the extra mile without being asked to.

10. "A career for some, just another job for most."

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Moore, OK
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Moore, OK

Pros

Fun, like minded people. Control over your schedule.

Cons

Mandatory annual inventory, black Friday and holiday season work. GM has a problem coaching employees without insulting them on a personal level.

Showing 45 of 15,264 reviews