Best Buy Reviews in Omaha, NE | Glassdoor

Omaha, NE

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance but its retail" (in 479 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 547 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice hours, flexible schedule and fun work environment

Cons

Location of your store really hampers your revenue per hour and customer quality.

"Seven years and then nothing"

Former Employee - Inventory/Merchandising Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Inventory/Merchandising Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities if you get good managers and a great company culture that strives to put employees first definitely great for college and high school job.

Cons

A lot of managers go unchecked and employees leave due to lazy managers who are allowed to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Quit sitting in the office and get out on the floor with your employees to help them feel that you are as invested as they are in the company!

3. "Great culture and fun"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people and a great atmosphere to thrive in and have a good time while being a little laid back.

Cons

Numbers are extremely too important for a non commission positon and you will be talked to a lot about your performance. Even several times daily.

4. "Great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, treats employees well, retail is struggling but they are doing their best to take care of all employees. Would definitely recommend.

Cons

Hours are not always consistent. A few managers are not qualified and let the power go to their head. Obsession with shrink gets old.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within the company. The managers that are home grown are way better than the ones outside. Also, remind managers that this job is a second gig for a lot of people who make a lot more cash at their regular job than the managers do.

5. "Best Buy had a good employee discount, but demanding sales quotas expected."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Omaha, NE

Pros

Best Buy offers a great employee discount on products in store and on their website. They also offer incentives to continue sales training.

Cons

Best Buy has sales quotas they expect you to meet. Depending on who your supervisor or manager is, they might be very demanding in this regard. They make bonuses based on their team meeting or exceeding sales quotas.

6. "Easy job but I would strongly advise to not ever work for this company read below the facts as to why I advise not to."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, freedom to move departments within 3 months, simple tasks, not to much to worry about, customers left happy most of the time.

Cons

This is to make you understand the experience I had while working for this company. System interface would change only for worse causing the entire store to shut down and close. Me and my co workers were consistently harassed by our assistant manager. Constantly brought it up to general management and corporate and nothing would change. Company promoted me to warehouse position and increased my pay as well... Within a month I had that taken away from me as well as a decrease in salary with it. Strong lack in management it seems as if managers only worry about their department rather then the entire store.

Advice to Management

Focus on managing the store and not singling out a specific department you think has no benefit to yours. The store can operate better as a team and working together to meet goals and store income.

7. "Lunar Project Team"

Current Employee - Deployment Functionality Technician in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Deployment Functionality Technician in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, traveling to fun locations, and lots of overtime.

Cons

Over night shifts 80% of the job, pay is weak in comparison to similar work.

Advice to Management

Pay your good employees what they are worth and maybe they will stick around longer.

8. "It's what you'd expect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay for young people, nice management, super friendly environment, great employee discount

Cons

Just the holidays but you'd expect that from retail

Advice to Management

Just remember "have fun while being the best"

9. "Not a bad place..but you are sales.."

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Omaha, NE

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good place to learn a lot about computers! lots of tests to get you ready to do anything and everything!

One of the best employee discounts I have ever had! AMAZING

Cons

if you are part of geeksquad you are part of sales they expect you to be able to sell any technology (TV's Cameras, Computers, Printers,) at any time

Advice to Management

leave geeksquad to just computers! we are techs not your sales team because you keept having us do sales we would get very backed up :(

"Would not recommend working for this company (Mobile Sales)"

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(Mobile Sales) It's hard for me to think of positive things regarding this company and store. Having friendly coworkers was probably the best part of working for Best Buy. Oh, and the employee discount - really nice if you buy a lot of electronics.

Cons

- Pay is not even remotely competitive. Mobile Sales starts at $9-$10/hr, with no commission - compared to Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, or Apple all starting at $12-$13/hr + commission. Unfortunately Best Buy requires it's Mobile team to know all the tech info and plans for all carriers, but expects to pay them 30% less for more work than a carrier store. Mobile is also expected to perform tech support on phones, despite it being Geek Squad's duty (which can lead to 2-hour long phone calls with carrier's customer support).

- Despite being non-commission, everything in sales is ran as if it was. Scheduling, promotions, and zoning is all based on sales numbers and "upselling" the customer, not on customer satisfaction. Expect daily "check-in & check-out" meetings w/ management to discuss your sales and how to improve them.

- Management is terrible. Applied for full time, was told by GM that I need to apply for part time, but with the promise of between 30-40 hrs/week regardless (specifically with opportunity for full time position within 60 days). After 90 days, I can tell you that never happened (and confirmed that GM has told MANY other new hires the same thing). Several weeks I was scheduled for 40/hrs, but no mention of full time employment. Soon hours dropped from 38, to 26, to 16, and most recently, 4 (FOUR) hours in a week! I'm not sure if anyone can afford to work only 4 hours a week.

- Expect inconsistent scheduling, odd hours, and no time off requests. Best Buy has initiated a "4-day out" scheduling practice, which is exactly what it sounds like. No 2-week schedules during the holidays - schedules are written for 4 days out at a time, with management also reminding us that time off requests for 2 or more days would be denied.

- Was called in on days off because "they had LITERALLY no employees to work Mobile" several times only to find out Mobile was staffed, they just needed "extra coverage" in other zones. I'm happy to come in if you really need me, but please don't lie about it.

- It's not stated in the interview, but be prepared for a 4-day long sales training in another state if hired. I commuted to Kansas City, and it took 2 months to receive the compensation for travel expenses/mileage that I paid out of pocket.

- Attendance policy is not the greatest. You have 3 "attendance violations", a 4th is probation, and with #5 you're fired. It sounds decent - but then you realize that whether you've got a flat tire (and miss work entirely) or if you clock in 5 minutes late, they both count as the same violations. Violations are erased 6 months after the most recent write-up, so you need to go half the year without being late/sick to get your absences excused.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you can't keep - hiring someone on with the promise of 30 to 40 hours a week and subsequently cutting their hours to 1/10th of that is a sure fire way to increase turnover. Also, please consider more competitive pay for Mobile - 30% less pay than the competition for over 3X the work just isn't fair to us.

Showing 20 of 16,558 reviews