Best Buy Reviews in Orem, UT | Glassdoor

Orem, UT

2.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance but its retail (in 458 reviews)

• Post holidays not many hours available for non-full time employees (in 526 reviews)

1. "Best Buy is a demanding but fair place to work."

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Orem, UT

Pros

Best Buy offers the best employee discount in the industry. They are happy to schedule around your school hours and offer 100% tuition reimbursement. The best employee news/training anywhere.

Cons

When Best Buy under-performs on Wall Street they tend to lean on the employees hard. They tend to hire internally so outside-hires can only expect minimum wages/positions.

Advice to Management

Best Buy has been pushing technicians to perform in a more salesmen-like capacity and increasing their sales responsibilities. This seems to be driving down wages for skilled computer, car audio, and home theater installation techs. The policy is driving down the quality of work performed, as well. If you want more cheap sales employees, hire some more blue shirts.

2. "Not a great experience."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orem, UT

I worked at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company discount was nice on some products. They do make an attempt to have their employees trained properly.

Cons

They don't care much for their employees. I don't agree with being open on Thanksgiving day. Pay is poor.

Advice to Management

Many employees spend their entire time at Best Buy wanting to like their job but managers and supervisors take all of the joy out of the job.

3. "Moving in the wrong direction"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orem, UT

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the team-oriented atmosphere that the company adheres too. It made it easier to get things done. The employee discount was nice.

Cons

The company tends to employ managers that don't quite understand how each employee has his/her own strengths. Instead of taking the time to find out what those strengths are, they try to create a cookie-cutter sales strategy. This would be a great business plan if every employee was the same, but that isn't the case.

4. "Fun place to earn minimum wage; appealing (but diminishing) employee discount"

Former Employee - Representative II in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Representative II in Orem, UT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far, the best reason to work at Best Buy is to work with great people and have a good time. I enjoy technology and customer service so I enjoyed coming in to see the latest gadgets and recommending them to incoming customers. Working at the customer service desk, the daily challenges were as varied as the customers themselves, and most people were pleasant if you treated them with respect and a sincere desire to resolve their issue.

Cons

Continuing from the "Pro" section, some people just try to walk all over customer service employees with the most reviling displays of entitlement. Yes, we know that you dropped your iPad and broke it, that is not a manufacturing defect. No, we will not drop our drawers to make a senseless deal for you. The pay was barely over minimum wage and did not have much of an upward trend. The one thing that really killed the job for me was the constant pushing of branded credit card enrollments when we were not financially incentivized by enrollment. I was uncomfortable encouraging shoppers to go into debt for items they probably didn't really need.

Advice to Management

Good luck. Amazon is looming.

"Meh, just ok"

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Orem, UT

Pros

Fun environment, tech savvy people all around you, good co workers

Cons

Hr is redonculous! They send them to FBI headquarters for 6 weeks to learn how to interrogate someone. When something goes down, they are against you, not for you! Moving up in the company is a joke, in order to be moved up I was told I had to sell amazing on the floor, after that happened they said I was too valuable on the floor to get moved up...

Advice to Management

Listen to your full and part timers on matters at hand. They are the ones on the front lines everyday paying for your summer beach houses and sports cars.

6. "Better than most retailers...but really...retail?...you could probably do better..."

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent Senior (CIA Senior ) in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent Senior (CIA Senior ) in Orem, UT

Pros

I have worked at other retailers such as CompUSA, and Best Buy's benefits package is amazing in comparison. It is even better than my husband's who works as a security officer. Also, the pay is significantly better. I made more starting at Best Buy than I made after 2 years working other places. People generally stay at Best Buy, so the friends you make are lasting. There is the potential for bonuses, although if the store or the district does not do well the WHOLE year long...you don't get it. The company in general is set up to be very employee centric, although in practice it doesn't really work out. There are mentoring programs and shadowing programs to help you get promoted and stay with the company, but if your management doesn't take a profound interest in you, then no dice. The company is also very interested in promoting women, veterans and others in the workplace. There is a woman's management support program called WOLF to help encourage women to work at Best Buy and have their opinions count in the work place, and that is cool.

Cons

Your development is totally based on how well associated with management you are. Also, the "boys club", or the elite group of men who run the company and their friends, is very powerful. I sure it is this way in any company, but networking with this group is way more important than it should be if you want to go anywhere in the company. Many of the policies are contradictory. For example, there is never enough labor budgeted for the store. I have seen stores that just crash and burn because their labor gets cut, then their theft starts to rise because there aren't enough employees to cover departments, but as a result, labor gets cut again...then theft goes up again...it is a cycle that keeps going until everyone gets fired and they have to start over again from the management and the seniors on up. Management in general is lazy and inefficient. I guarantee that I could do any job in the store better than any manager. They justify this by saying that they "manage the people...not the process"...which I think is a load of crap. They say you are not on commission and that you should set the customers up with what the customer needs. However, if you don't sell certain products and services, you can be severely punished. Although they claim to care about what the employees think, I have suggested a number of changes that I feel would improve business practices, but no body seems to care. Supervisors can be fired because the employees under them suck...but the sups have no say in who gets hired to what position. Also, firing a person is a long arduous process...far more difficult than it needs to be...so crappy people don't leave either.

Advice to Management

Management needs to know every job better than anyone else. When I come to a manager for an issue, the manager needs to know what the options are. I shouldn't have to prepare a powerpoint presentation to lay out the benefits and ramifications of each option are so that they can make an informed decision. There is too much hiring of management from outside the company, so managers don't know what its like to be on the floor. Sometimes they just expect too much. Also, some people just go about their day doing their job like a rockstar...but they don't get credit. Then there are others who sit and brag about how good they are all day long...and they get employee of the month. I wish that management would look for the people who are good and let them know that they are appreciated. Because those are the people that I want to work with...those are the people that I would like to stay.

Showing 6 of 15,847 reviews