Best Buy Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Best Buy Portland Reviews

Updated May 20, 2019

3.6
Best Buy CEO Corie Barry (no image)
Corie Barry
  1. "Review of Bestbuy"

Current Employee - Asset Protection in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, bonus, environment, work life balance, management

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

Best Buy2018-02-28
  2. "Good Place to Learn to Sell"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and family feeling store.

Cons

Pay isn't great and the working nights and weekends wasn't fun.

Best Buy2019-05-21
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "In Home Advisor Review"

Current Employee - In Home Advisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great Discounts -Amazing people that you work with -Full Time Benefits, can be Dental and Optical as well

Cons

-Corporate Management -Very inconsistent with customer service -No accountability from upper level management

Best Buy2019-05-02
  5. "Good job to have while enjoying technology"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of good technology, and discounts, good co workers

Cons

Management, companies are all disorganized

Advice to Management

Tie it all together

Best Buy2019-03-14
  6. "Loved the job and people, management could use help"

Former Employee - Appliances Sales Consultant in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing opportunities if you work hard (achievers), loads of fun, amazing discount, and an overall good work environment,

Cons

Scheduling conflicts, drama, popularity contest, a lot of positions are part-time, revolving door of new-hires, bad attitude from superiors, and managers hiring friends over qualified applicants.

Advice to Management

Remember that most of us are students and please help us work around that, also promote from within and you won't lose all your employees.

Best Buy2018-09-27

"It's a Blue Cult"

Current Employee - Core SALES Computing in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have an okay discount, get a lot of training on cool new tech and are taught better ways to communicate with customers.

Cons

It's a cult following. Your pay does depend on your performance, although they tell you they wont fire you over low numbers, they WILL lower your hours as a part-timer. If you're lucky to gain full-time, it's because you're an aggressive sales person who makes people apply for credit cards even though they may not even get approved (which is 75% of the time). The managers are brainwashed and bleed Best Buy Blue.

Advice to Management

Be as professional as possible with your team regardless of how you want to come off to them. It's not your job to be their friend it's your job to gain their respect and trust.

Best Buy2018-09-09
  8. "Appliance Sales Representative at Best Buy"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good bonus structure, excellent boost in customer service and technical sales knowledge, dynamic day to day interactions, whole solutions sales experience

Cons

Terrible base pay, little acknowledgement or advancement. You're lucky to get a $.30 raise, even if you're the best in your department, store, district. You are expendable.

Advice to Management

Do a better job at acknowledgement, or do better locating your talent. I know retainment is a big problem for you, and I could go on endlessly on how it can be improved.

Best Buy2018-03-07

"Basic Sales Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun job where you get to learn about new technology and try to describe it to people who don't understand Amazon or Google.

Cons

You don't get paid much and shifts are all over the place based on how close you and the scheduling manager are.

Advice to Management

Work with the people. Nobody likes whip-cracking.

Best Buy2017-10-11
  10. "Computer Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people (sometimes). Easy business hours (earliest 930AM, latest 930PM).

Cons

You will have to push products and services or be pestered into leaving. It's sales so you will have crappy customers. Product knowledge is of little importance compared to selling abilities and keeping up with your "numbers." Lastly, don't forget that you will be working all holidays except for the day of Christmas. That includes the dreaded Black Friday.

Advice to Management

Don't be so abrasive about tracking numbers and notice people who work hard to keep the department from falling apart.

Best Buy2017-09-22
  11. "Insanity- but not my worst experience in retail"

Former Contractor - Advertising Undergrad in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great team -Lots of fun to play with and learn about the latest & greatest in consumer tech -Store policy makes guest interactions quite simple and easy; no sitting on a phone for 3 hours just to be able to help a guest get what they want! -Decent hourly pay as Occasional Seasonal

Cons

-No commission -Janky scheduling system; many, many schedule conflicts with university classes that (not only did I talk about thoroughly during both interviews, but) could have been easily resolved if somebody had just been paying attention. Instead, after notifying 4 different managers that the system failed to update my schedule correctly, I was still reprimanded by the general manager of the store for missing... those days. Not cool, guys. -(The usual) holiday chaos -Even on a good day, management seemed a bit more overbearing and downright invasive than necessary. -HR seemed a bit sluggish; I was offered a job inside of the interview, but it took 2 weeks after I'd accepted it to receive a digital (official) offer in my email inbox.

Advice to Management

To store management: Having a "hands-on" approach to motivating employees doesn't translate to hovering over employees while they work. Instead, seek to foster the existing company culture (which, in my opinion, already provides equal intrinsic and extrinsic fulfillment to workers) and just let these people do more of what they love. Help people find what they love to do and give them the necessary hands-off general... guidance with which they can build their own skills in that path.

Best Buy2017-03-07