Best Buy Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Best Buy Portland Reviews

Updated March 6, 2018

Portland, OR

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to perfect (in 474 reviews)

• hours were not always the best considering im a full time student (in 544 reviews)

1. "Review of Bestbuy"

Current Employee - Asset Protection in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Asset Protection in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, bonus, environment, work life balance, management

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

2. "Appliance Sales Representative at Best Buy"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good bonus structure, excellent boost in customer service and technical sales knowledge, dynamic day to day interactions, whole solutions sales experience

Cons

Terrible base pay, little acknowledgement or advancement. You're lucky to get a $.30 raise, even if you're the best in your department, store, district. You are expendable.

Advice to Management

Do a better job at acknowledgement, or do better locating your talent. I know retainment is a big problem for you, and I could go on endlessly on how it can be improved.

"Basic Sales Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun job where you get to learn about new technology and try to describe it to people who don't understand Amazon or Google.

Cons

You don't get paid much and shifts are all over the place based on how close you and the scheduling manager are.

Advice to Management

Work with the people. Nobody likes whip-cracking.

4. "Computer Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people (sometimes). Easy business hours (earliest 930AM, latest 930PM).

Cons

You will have to push products and services or be pestered into leaving. It's sales so you will have crappy customers. Product knowledge is of little importance compared to selling abilities and keeping up with your "numbers." Lastly, don't forget that you will be working all holidays except for the day of Christmas. That includes the dreaded Black Friday.

Advice to Management

Don't be so abrasive about tracking numbers and notice people who work hard to keep the department from falling apart.

5. "Insanity- but not my worst experience in retail"

Former Contractor - Advertising Undergrad in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Advertising Undergrad in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great team
    -Lots of fun to play with and learn about the latest & greatest in consumer tech
    -Store policy makes guest interactions quite simple and easy; no sitting on a phone for 3 hours just to be able to help a guest get what they want!
    -Decent hourly pay as Occasional Seasonal

Cons

-No commission
    -Janky scheduling system; many, many schedule conflicts with university classes that (not only did I talk about thoroughly during both interviews, but) could have been easily resolved if somebody had just been paying attention. Instead, after notifying 4 different managers that the system failed to update my schedule correctly, I was still reprimanded by the general manager of the store for missing those days. Not cool, guys.
    -(The usual) holiday chaos
    -Even on a good day, management seemed a bit more overbearing and downright invasive than necessary.
    -HR seemed a bit sluggish; I was offered a job inside of the interview, but it took 2 weeks after I'd accepted it to receive a digital (official) offer in my email inbox.

Advice to Management

To store management: Having a "hands-on" approach to motivating employees doesn't translate to hovering over employees while they work. Instead, seek to foster the existing company culture (which, in my opinion, already provides equal intrinsic and extrinsic fulfillment to workers) and just let these people do more of what they love. Help people find what they love to do and give them the necessary hands-off general guidance with which they can build their own skills in that path.

6. "Life at BBY"

Current Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Values based company who looks out for their own. Opportunities for advancement when you are willing to put in the work. Management who looks to promote their own.

Cons

Not necessarily transparent in all things. There is opportunity in giving the why behind an action to the line level/customer facing persons within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster growth from within and building a values based culture where people can be proud to work while at the same time open up more to the line-level to give a better forecast of their company's future.

7. "Best Buy 450"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, solid team environment and flexible scheduling

Cons

Don't agree with Best Buy's corporate policy of being open on Thanksgiving. I think Thanksgiving is time that should be spent with family.

Advice to Management

Let your employees enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday. Every year I worked on the holiday, I envisioned upper level corporate management being able to eat with their family, while we were battling deal hungry consumers filling up your wallet.

8. "General manager"

Former Employee - Best Buy General Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Best Buy General Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits team company development great structure hr support is great vendors are good great pay for big box! Solid sales training

Cons

Life work balance not good work on INV support for stores replenishment allowed for store manager to drive work on more reasonable scheduling for general managers

Advice to Management

See cons

"eh."

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Portland, OR

Pros

Fun, fast passed environment. Usually get to work with fun co-workers and customers alike.

Cons

Try to fix things that are not broken, unorganized management.

10. "High School all over again"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work is often very laid back, without much expectation. Nice discount and decent pay for a retail position. Benefits are reserved for full time employees.

Cons

Difficult to move from part time to full time, and the laid back atmosphere attracts laid back employees. No one really has any drive to succeed more move forward.

Advice to Management

Recognize those who work and want to move forward, listen to your employees.

Showing 40 of 16,408 reviews