Best Buy Reviews in Rapid City, SD | Glassdoor

Rapid City, SD

2.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Doesn't offer the best work life balance" (in 478 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 549 reviews)

1. "Geek Squad"

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok Pay, good for a mean time job

Cons

Same issues as any other retail employer.

Advice to Management

Need to pay employees better

"No wonder why the GM left..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly flexible schedule, the discount was okay (just on certain products). Great diversity in the work place, love the co-workers.

Cons

They take attendance, like you're in high school again. Not very flexible for employees with families. Overworks and underpays. No benefits for part-time employees. Manager admits that he received a bonus, but wasn't sure if the other employees (who actually do the work for him to get that bonus) received a bonus. Favoritism in the work place. For a non-commission sales job, it certainly feels like a commission sales job. Management is extremely pushy on upselling products. I worked here for nearly 3 years, and have only received just barely a 35 cent raise. Most of the new hires make more than the seniority workers. If you aren't liked by management you are merely ignored unless you're doing something wrong. Expect to get taxed heavily on your paycheck for using your employee discount. You will also not receive the same benefits as customers when using your employee discount, such as a 18 month financing promo offer or the chance to bank points for rewards on your next purchase. If you're looking for great benefits, this isn't the place. Part-time employees get absolutely no benefits, including but not limited to health insurance.

Advice to Management

Stop making your employees work on Thanksgiving, it sure shows your greed. Might as well just say "we are thankful of you working for us, so much so that you MUST not EVER spend time with your family, even if you had plans far in advance to visit them out of state." Stop treating your employees like your little minions. Show some integrity and respect for your hard working employees and give them the bonuses they so much deserve. Stop belittling your employees, give them a chance to succeed. When you lack appreciation, your drive really slows down!

3. "Decent work place but could be much better"

Current Employee - Microsoft Expert in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Microsoft Expert in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, plenty of paid time off, the people I work with are good friends of mine, that's about it though

Cons

For a non-commission based store they really make it feel like one. Pay is not competitive at all. New hire employees will make more than people who have worked there for 3 or more years and that is not how it should work at all

Advice to Management

Provide better pay to your employees and then you won't have to worry about them hitting numbers. If there is no incentive to work hard we won't.

4. "Not a career"

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice discount, co-workers are generally upbeat and in a good mood, nearly impossible to get fired.

Cons

Bait and switch, received a call back after applying for geek squad position, and got an interview. In the interview, I was told that there is *at most* 5hrs/week available for the position I applied for, but warehousing has lots of hours available. I figure they've been doing this for a while, the posting is ALWAYS on Indeed. They must have a high turn over after people get sick of being lied to.

The training is abysmal. Sit on a computer and go through a bunch of broken labs that either don't load or constantly freeze. They expected me to fly through them, fast enough that I couldn't learn anything or even read the material.

Felt like high school again. Most employees were in their early 20s or younger. Very immature people, I had people challenging me to push up contests my first week

The guy that worked 60+hrs a week in the warehouse commandeered the radio and would play non-stop rap. Not just rap (don't have a problem with it in general) but the most offensive rap you've heard in your life.... song after song after song.

LOTS of manual labor if you are warehouse. Nothing but manual labor, it was extremely mentally dull. Unload pallet, put stuff on shelves. That's it.

I was walking between 4 - 6 miles per 4hr shift according to my pedometer (accurate for the most part)

Hours are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Schedule changes every week, and no sense can be made of the hours I was scheduled. Impossible to have a life.

Making me stay late. I despise this; again, impossible to have a life or plan anything. I'm scheduled till 9pm, wait around until 9:10, clock out, get stopped on my way to the door and told I'm not allowed to leave yet because my workspace needed to be inspected. (Something I had never been told about).

It's not that special, just like any other retail job. Your job is retail, make no mistake.

Told I was the lucky one to clean up vomit in someone else's department (registers) and was handed a spray bottle and towels. The one thing I learned from the computer training, was the fact that it was against company policy for them to ask me to clean biological waste but there's nothing I can do about it because I signed the arbitration agreement.

I made it 2 paychecks because I was excited to work again but the excitement quickly wore off.

Advice to Management

Don't post a job listing if you don't even have hrs available to work the job. Let alone get trained for the job.

5. "Great atmosphere, decent management, pushy to sell customers more than they need."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers.
    Fantastic work environment.
    Part-time is VERY flexible with hours.
    Management normally deals with the angry customers.
    As long as you are doing your job during busy hours, management will normally joke with you when it's slow.

Cons

Managers are very pushy to up-sell customers.
    Forced to fill out a worksheet so customer gets "everything" they need.
    Plan on working holidays, especially Thanksgiving and request Christmas off at least 3 months ahead of time.

Advice to Management

I understand the point of up-selling customers to make more money, however, it doesn't need to be brought up in a pushy sense. Happy customers are returning customers. Other than that, keep doing everything your doing

Showing 5 of 16,854 reviews