Best Buy Reviews in Reno, NV | Glassdoor

Reno, NV

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 501 reviews)

1. "Loved it"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Reno, NV

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible. Fun. Exciting. Best Buy was one of the best training arenas for me and has given me so much.

Cons

Sometimes the days get rough.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key. Don't ever shoot for mediocre.

2. "Poor pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Can be a fun atmosphere

Cons

Corporate doesnt care about the people

"Always drama"

Former Employee - Cashier in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Cashier in Reno, NV

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discounts.
    I really don't have many pros. It was just a job.
    One nice part was all of your friends that come in :) it's always nice to see a familiar face while working

Cons

Management was horrible. It felt like high school.
    If you didn't kiss butt, your hours would be cut significantly.

4. "Very Fun And Enjoyable Experience!"

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Reno, NV

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During my employment at Best Buy, I quite enjoyed going in to work. My co-workers were friendly and respectful, the supervisors were more than willing to help if it was needed, and the general manager was one of the nicest people I met; he basically knew everyone. Working in the Mobile department kept me busy, and not every customer was the same. The discount was pretty cool, even though I used it twice. Black Friday was chaotic and tiring, but so worth the time. With Best Buy's Renew Blue Program, the company sends their employees on a week long training seminar, in my case heading to Las Vegas, with the round trip flight paid for and food reimbursed. There are also training's called E-Learning's completed online, with some required and some are optional. I took some learning's for Microsoft's Xbox One, as it was about to be released, and for successfully completing it, I received a free year of Xbox Live Gold, saving me $60! Awesome perk, and there are a TON more. The best part about my time there though? Wowing the customers with a nice demo and finalizing a sale; they made my experience there better. Best Buy is heading in the right direction, and I do not see them going out of business. Keep it up!

Cons

My time there wasn't without its cons, but there isn't much. First off, after being offered employment, you must get drug tested. Now that was no problem for me, but the time to wait was. It took three weeks to get my results back, but that isn't entirely my store's fault. After getting started, I felt like the job shadowing was pretty quick, and wasn't fully confident to do everything on my own (everything was easier after a few work day.) Now for perhaps the biggest con, the scheduling was WAY all over the place. One day I would work, then have 4 days off, then work six straight days, have one day off, then work five straight days, and so on. There was never a level of consistency with the scheduling, and that is what eventually lead me to give my two week notice. During the holidays, I was getting 26-30 hours a week, easily was able to live off of that. Then, the new year came, and I received one six-eight hour shift every TWO weeks. I couldn't live off of that, and decided it was time. I loved Best Buy, but the scheduling and lack of hours after the holidays really sucked, and I wish it could have worked out, as I loved my job.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to lay off of the REQUIRED E-Learning's, and move to more on-hands training. The learning's can be repetitive, and quite boring. Also, sometimes, departments would be clearly understaffed, and not enough employees to help customers. Other than that, keep doing a good job!

5. "It is very fun, co-workers are amazing."

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexible with Schedule
    -Full Time Benefits
    -EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT
    -Competitive Wage

Cons

Very Sales Orientated. Don't meet sales, they are very upset.

Advice to Management

I would focus more on real practical trainings instead of e-learnings.

6. "Best Buy only cares about their management and then again not even.."

Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

sometimes fun, sometimes get to meet good people

Cons

It's a trap, all meetings are a ploy to brainwash employees, management does nothing all day and get huge bonuses for your hard work.

Advice to Management

Start doing some work and maybe give some of your fat bonuses back to the people who deserve it you greedy f**ks

7. "Competitive but nice people to work with."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Equal opportunity company, nice for a part time job.

Cons

Too strict for being a part time job.

Advice to Management

Take the job seriously but lighten up a bit.

"Best Buy is a boot camp for anyone looking to advance in business..."

Current Employee - Mobile Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Mobile Manager in Reno, NV

Pros

Great Job for anyone looking to know about an aggressive and constant follow up business.

Cons

Sucks too much of your life but you will learn a lot about managing a business since you have access to a lot of score cards and metrics that update DAILY and you will be called out if your performance is not in par with your other peers...

Also great tools to talk and share best practices to ensure we all win as a team.

Advice to Management

Look for talent in the company, There are a lot people that are looking to advance and make a difference in the future on this company. I spent more than 8 years since I was 19 years old with Best Buy and I can out talk and make any senior business analyst cry in a public one on one speech about financial results and outcomes while being recorded live on CNN.....

This you cannot learn in school since your not face to face with consumers daily and have no clue what sparks in their eyes when you talk about their unknown needs after a couple of simple questions.

This also is a skill that you gain working for this company because we get challenged every day...

Showing 8 of 14,778 reviews