Best Buy Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
3,634 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a really good employee discount on the products that they sell there which is really awesome (in 1190 reviews)

• Great discount and compensation (in 464 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor in this position (in 319 reviews)

• Would never work there full-time (in 338 reviews)

10,054 Employee Reviews

1. "Asset Protection"

Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Bradley, IL
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Bradley, IL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome work place. Friendly employees and manager. Pay is good and everyone is easy to work with and they help you with almost anything

Cons

Haven't been able to move up or move to another department even working after a year.

"Fun Job."

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked for Best Buy for 8 years and there is a reason for that there are health insurance options, personal days/vacation days, school reimbursement, fun culture, 401k, bonus potential.

Cons

There isn't a set schedule. No matter how many years you put into the company you can't have a set schedule. It's not an awful gig but I wish I could have the same hours each week.

3. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Best Buy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great coworkers and leadership. Everyone eager to win.

Cons

Work life balance sometimes conflicting

Advice to Management

Coach and training could be better

5. "warehouse worker"

Pros

its a fun and great work and experience environment

Cons

it feels like highschool sometimes

6. "Great environment to learn and grow with coworkers you love."

Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The learning environment and customer service experience is invaluable. The employees are like a small family. An excellent retail experience. Bonuses come when your store hits!

Cons

Managers showing favoritism. Limited promotion opportunities. Rude customers. Technologically challenged clientele. Pressure to hit, sometimes unreasonably high, goals each and every day, both on the sales floor and in the operation side of the business.

Advice to Management

Try to treat your employers fairly. Reward good behaviors and numbers. Reprimand bad behaviors, habits, and numbers.

7. "Merchandising Specialist"

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only work in the store when it is Closed in the morning leaves the rest of the day to do whatever you would like to do

Cons

May not get the best hours

8. "Great place"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in White Marsh, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in White Marsh, MD

Pros

A lot of fun, discount rocked

Cons

Not a lot of pay, some managers were power hungry

9. "Great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vero Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get treated great, which makes it easy to get up in the morning and go to work everyday. Great work environment

Cons

Hours could be more flexible. I sometimes did not know when i was scheduled to work and this information was sometimes hard to find out.

Advice to Management

I would say that the scheduling should be done on a more personal basis to really get a sense of when you are supposed to be working.

10. "A fair opportunity to prove yourself no matter your age."

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at this company at a young age. An age so young that many companies that deal with high ticket items and processes as complicated as Mobile Phones would never give someone of my age the light of day. Best Buy did. Through hard work and determination I have gone up a little less than six dollars an hour in less than two years. Best Buy has a diverse team, and does not judge. Race and age are a non-issue if you're a hard worker. You feel appreciated if you have a good manager, you feel like a part of a family, and you feel valued. I love Best Buy. I genuinely do.

Cons

Employee surveys at the end of the year seem tailored now towards pushing an agenda rather than reviewing management fairly and confidentially. Recent policy changes are absolutely ridiculous (forcing arbitration policies on your employees without formal signatures). Honestly, most of the things corporate does are crazy, off the wall, poorly communicated, and often seem like they aren't really run by actual store-level employees before making said changes. Work-life-balance is normally good, however, launches are often not communicated too far ahead of time. Planned vacations/unavailability may be cancelled or reviewed if they intersect with a product launch date.

Advice to Management

You guys do a great job announcing when you're visiting stores to give us time to prepare and put on our biggest fake smiles and make sure everything looks perfect. This makes your visits useless. Less corporate and district-level intimidation tactics should be used and district/corporate level employees should look towards store-level employees for feedback and guidance. The private Employee Hub network seems to be magnifying the issue of one-way communication as there is no proper way to get a non-outsourced response on system issues. No way to immediately help a customer if everything is blowing up without really hurting your store even if the issue is not your fault. No way to tell higher level employees when a policy is problematic. This is normal for a company of the size of Best Buy, but not something that should be settled for.

11. "Appliance Specialist"

Current Employee - Appliance Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Appliance Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super fun work environment, young and energetic team, employee discount, opportunities to grow with the company and learn how to move up. Getting to learn about the newest things coming out and see them before other people. In general this is the best job I have ever had. I wake up every day and I am excited to go to work! I would definitely recommend Best Buy as an AMAZING company to work for and a good place to make a career happen.

Cons

Holiday season can be exhausting and rude unhappy customers can suck the happiness out of you. There is some favoritism, if the managers don't like you or think you fit in with the culture it would be hard to move up.

Advice to Management

Work to bridge the gap between the "in group" employees and the "out group" employees.

Showing 10,054 of 10,123 reviews