Best Buy Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
3,634 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a really good employee discount on the products that they sell there which is really awesome (in 1190 reviews)

• Great discount and compensation (in 464 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor in this position (in 319 reviews)

• Would never work there full-time (in 338 reviews)

10,038 Employee Reviews

1. "warehouse worker"

Pros

its a fun and great work and experience environment

Cons

it feels like highschool sometimes

2. "Great environment to learn and grow with coworkers you love."

Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The learning environment and customer service experience is invaluable. The employees are like a small family. An excellent retail experience. Bonuses come when your store hits!

Cons

Managers showing favoritism. Limited promotion opportunities. Rude customers. Technologically challenged clientele. Pressure to hit, sometimes unreasonably high, goals each and every day, both on the sales floor and in the operation side of the business.

Advice to Management

Try to treat your employers fairly. Reward good behaviors and numbers. Reprimand bad behaviors, habits, and numbers.

3. "A fair opportunity to prove yourself no matter your age."

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at this company at a young age. An age so young that many companies that deal with high ticket items and processes as complicated as Mobile Phones would never give someone of my age the light of day. Best Buy did. Through hard work and determination I have gone up a little less than six dollars an hour in less than two years. Best Buy has a diverse team, and does not judge. Race and age are a non-issue if you're a hard worker. You feel appreciated if you have a good manager, you feel like a part of a family, and you feel valued. I love Best Buy. I genuinely do.

Cons

Employee surveys at the end of the year seem tailored now towards pushing an agenda rather than reviewing management fairly and confidentially. Recent policy changes are absolutely ridiculous (forcing arbitration policies on your employees without formal signatures). Honestly, most of the things corporate does are crazy, off the wall, poorly communicated, and often seem like they aren't really run by actual store-level employees before making said changes. Work-life-balance is normally good, however, launches are often not communicated too far ahead of time. Planned vacations/unavailability may be cancelled or reviewed if they intersect with a product launch date.

Advice to Management

You guys do a great job announcing when you're visiting stores to give us time to prepare and put on our biggest fake smiles and make sure everything looks perfect. This makes your visits useless. Less corporate and district-level intimidation tactics should be used and district/corporate level employees should look towards store-level employees for feedback and guidance. The private Employee Hub network seems to be magnifying the issue of one-way communication as there is no proper way to get a non-outsourced response on system issues. No way to immediately help a customer if everything is blowing up without really hurting your store even if the issue is not your fault. No way to tell higher level employees when a policy is problematic. This is normal for a company of the size of Best Buy, but not something that should be settled for.

5. "Appliance Specialist"

Current Employee - Appliance Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Appliance Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super fun work environment, young and energetic team, employee discount, opportunities to grow with the company and learn how to move up. Getting to learn about the newest things coming out and see them before other people. In general this is the best job I have ever had. I wake up every day and I am excited to go to work! I would definitely recommend Best Buy as an AMAZING company to work for and a good place to make a career happen.

Cons

Holiday season can be exhausting and rude unhappy customers can suck the happiness out of you. There is some favoritism, if the managers don't like you or think you fit in with the culture it would be hard to move up.

Advice to Management

Work to bridge the gap between the "in group" employees and the "out group" employees.

6. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN

Pros

Great people. Fun work place. Great job if you like technology

Cons

There's none I can think of

Advice to Management

Again nothing I can think of

7. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management, discount, very flexible, scheduling, hours based on job performance, comfortable work environment, number of hours, work load is manageable

Cons

Employees not always held accountable, can be difficult to get a raise based on merit when it isn't the annual review

Advice to Management

Give employees even more credit where credit is due and make sure those that aren't pulling his or her own weight know it and are held accountable.

8. "Team Leader"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist/Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist/Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love best buy because the people I work with were great and wonderful. they hard working and very motivated individuals. I love working with people and I truly love to make people happy.

Cons

The other side I didn't care about the company is that, they don't care about us the employee.

9. "Multi Channel Sales"

Current Employee - MCSA in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - MCSA in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Allows for growth with in

Cons

The pay is a lot less than expected after three years

Advice to Management

Keep the people who make the company great instead of holding them at lower wages.

10. "Microsoft Expert"

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Good hours and friendly environment

Cons

Unable to move up effectively

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feddback

11. "Great coworkers, customers not so much"

Current Employee - MCSA in Douglassville, PA
    Current Employee - MCSA in Douglassville, PA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have met so many great people and gained to much knowledge since working at best buy. The usual customers are awesome and I don't work in a big-box store so it's a lot more fun to have that personal experience with a customer that you've been working with for a long time. Pay isn't horrible, it's a matter of getting enough hours (25+ weekly will suffice) after the holidays. If you want to move up in the company, the easiest way to do so is working in customer service or working MCSA. I know Best Buy policies like it's my social security number. Having to repeat them over and over in coachings done by my supervisors really made it stick.

Cons

The seemingly daily customer issues are horrendous. Working MCSA (multi-channel sales associate) and being on the phone all day is not my ideal job. Whether the question be as simple as "How do I turn the bluetooth on on my phone?" or your whole shift is wasted on solving a delivery or install issue since Best Buy does deliver and install appliances and TV/Home Theater systems. Nowadays there is nobody in the generation ahead of mine that has worked in retail. Getting screamed at by a customer because god forbid someone not tell them that when you buy a smart tv, you have to install any apps you want and its such an inconvenience to take 45 seconds of their life and install an app on their really expensive ($400) tv. Just because my generation is up to date on technology and how to work it doesn't mean that I sit around with my thumb up my butt waiting for your generation to catch up to the "jigga-bits" and the "wee-fee".

Advice to Management

Favoritism does not work in retail positions and its upsetting that nobody in the management team at my store knows that. The pay sucks, plain and simple. There's no such thing as "Yeah sure, I think you deserve it so I'll put the change through right away". Theres always a catch to get a raise. You need to prove yourself worthy of an additional 25 cents by participating in a 30-60-90 plan. You may work your behind off in those 90 days but if the manager working with you doesn't think its good enough, or my favorite phrase to hear from my GM is "You could've done better" or "Theres room for improvement", you won't get the raise but good job for being on your best behavior for 3 months. It's impossible to get a response from a manager when a customer becomes hostile because nobody wants to deal with them or get screamed at because their pride is worth more than yours.

Showing 10,038 of 10,109 reviews