Best Buy Reviews | Glassdoor

Best Buy Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • There is not a good work/life balance (in 407 reviews)

• Full time positions are limited (in 451 reviews)

1. "Sony expert"

Pros

Learn about new cutting edge technology in television, talk to customers about things that I love like technology, and new gadgets and games, employee discount is excellent.

Cons

Hard to provide for family with my salary, not much growth opportunity. Morning meeting is a must but they don't offer breakfast.

2. "Not worth it"

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Default 10$ an hour.
    Good hours if they like you.

Cons

Favoritism.
    Low hours, thay force you to take a second job.
    Terrible management. I've been yelled at more times than I can count, told they hated me, I was worthless that nobody wanted me there. Samsung store within our store one rep punched me in the stomach and another sprayed me with chemicals. I am a small female 5'5 90 some pounds and these were grown men. A girl from customer service pushed me and I called her a name and only one side was disiplined (me of course) I hate this job but they have made it clear they can't fire me without a reason and that they want me to quit but I'm not a quitter and I never plan on giving them a reason to fire me. They also never refunded me my mileage from traveling 7 hours to do sales training that was a hundred percent mandatory. The entire store treats old people so badly as well.

Advice to Management

Grow up, stop being childish. Actually listen to what your employees need or want within reason. Stop playing favorites, jobs are about actually doing your job and promoting people who do their job great, not whoever you like the best. It's funny how our specific management never even notices the good things!

3. "Chaotic management. No training."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Encinitas, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Encinitas, CA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer service experience, easy part time job to mix with going to school full time, big name is recognizable and fun

Cons

Management was not good. They did not know how to lead, write schedules, communicate with customers, or motivate employees. Minimal opportunity for upwards growth.

Advice to Management

Care more.

5. "Best Place Ever"

Pros

Discounts, Free Launches, Free Coffee and Tea

Cons

Smelly Trucks, No Help from Smell, Smelly Drivers, No Spray for Drivers

Advice to Management

New Trucks

6. "Avoid Avoid"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Met some nice people among team of associates

Cons

Opened up a new store in major city. The team assigned to open stores are rude and belittling. They coach you on how to alphabetically sort stock.."AA and then AB comes next.." Then they stare at you to see if you understand, like we are 3 yrs old. People working for BB have college degrees or are in progress of getting one but need a job. Team treated everyone like idiots. Management only cares about profit (that they do not make). If you don't make numbers or inventory is missing - everyone has to take the blame. There is no career advancement here. Most GMs come from other stores. That was the most embarrassing experience I ever had. I don't like telling people I worked for Best Buy.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like people and maybe turn-over won't be so high

7. "Protection Plans and more. Please rethink before you apply..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

Pros

You get a really decent discount which makes you realize just how much retail profits on some items. One other thing I can commend them on is pretty decent pay.

Cons

Too many to count. I've worked retail, I was a manager for two years previously and I know how important it is to sell, I mean it's retail. But Best Buy pressures you to sell more than I've ever seen in any company. Although I just started and have worked maybe a total of 10 days in 3 weeks I was sat down in an office and told that I'm not selling enough protection plans and that I was lucky that I was a fast learner otherwise I would have been let go right then. I have a passion for entertainment and was excited to work for this company but I am now dreading it. Luckily with the few hours they give I have more time to look for another job. If you're planning on working here please think again, they don't care about you as a person, all they care about is you selling protection plans and getting credit card applications. You'll get crap hours and get treated like meat and It will get very old very fast.

Advice to Management

Genuinely care about your employees. You can have all the pep talks you want but when you gripe and moan and take 5 minutes to come to the register because we need you to do a price match it shows how little you really care. When a customer has to wait 15 minutes and I have to leave the customer service desk to go and physically find you because you're the only one that can resolve the situation it is absolutely unacceptable.

8. "Best Buy Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Queens Village, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Queens Village, NY

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work at Best Buy is for the discount that they give to their employees.

Cons

The work environment is horrible. Not everyone would be able to feel comfortable in Best Buy

Advice to Management

Get Better

9. "Slave drivers"

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Associate

Pros

Employee discount, get to talk about technology, the people that you get to work with. Small scale competitions for credit apps.

Cons

Management is overbearing and feel they always need to be telling you where to be and what to be doing, for having revenue goals the compensation is bad, its like being expected to work like you are making commission but you are not.

Advice to Management

Management needs to revise how they coach employees. I have been at the top of my department month after month and leads and management always seem to want to tell me what I should be doing or where I should be. I have never experienced helicopter management until I worked at Best Buy.

10. "company sucks to work for"

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

You get a lot of knowledge on new products that are out and I respect that part of the job alot

Cons

You will get such little money for how much you do its ridiculous. I sell so much for the company and I get no compensation for it at all. I am currently number one seller in credit card apps and have been for three months and I get nothing. Its a company that you make others rich while working but not yourself. Don't recommend working there unless you hate working with food and don't want to be a waiter/waitress

Advice to Management

pay people better for the job that they do

11. "Asset Protection"

Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Dublin, CA

Pros

I liked meeting people & being able to talk to them sometimes. Mostly, discounts was the ultimate perk of working there.

Cons

Unprofessional management in the Dublin, CA. They are also very unapproachable & flat out liars that participate in gossip about ppl who are employed there. They micromanage employees for bread crumbs. No grooming standards as many employees has significant hygiene issues....literally would come to work with dirty clothes on. Oh yeah, they treat the employees like criminals by subjecting them to a search when they leave the premises, but yet will let merchandise(theft) walk out the door.

Advice to Management

Exercise common sense....don't expect part time employees to move mountains for bread crumb salary....especially since Best Buy was well aware of full time obligations(employment) prior to offering position. Stop treating employees like criminals.

Showing 761 of 13,464 reviews