Best Buy Reviews in Saint Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Saint Paul, MN

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 444 reviews)

• Limited hours when not working full time (in 509 reviews)

1. "It’s a great culture and very passionate team."

Current Employee - Manager of In Home Design Sales in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Manager of In Home Design Sales in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate team.
    Managers that care.
    Benefits.
    Lots of attention to educating the employee on the product and services that Best Buy carriesz

Cons

A low glass ceiling.

Many opportunities to move up but for many they won’t find them selves moving up due to size of the company.

Their suit of software that has been used for employee management, order management, payment management and customer management has always been a little lacking but it has been improving significantly as of late due to a surplus of income.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in new programs.

"Passionate Group, Lacked Clarity for Vision & Incremental Growth"

Former Employee - CX Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - CX Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

My team members were forward thinking, passionate, and cared about providing the best experience (digital or in-store) for customers.

Cons

CX team was newly formed upon arrival with a lot of lofty goals to achieve. When it came time to set a roadmap, my team managers and leadership lacked warm bodies and governance best practices to help provide direction and clarity around roles, bridge gaps between teams working in silos. Associate Director was stretched too thin and the outside agency on site lacked empathy for the organization and was only out for themselves, which prompted infighting and confusion amongst the managers and broader team.

Advice to Management

With proper governance and roadmaps in place, along with enough leaders on each of the teams - such as a fully staffed Research (Enterprise/Customer) team - Product Managers, and former UX members can operate more successfully with a better understanding of what they are looking to achieve. It often felt like everyone was in the dark, feeling around for the light switch without clearly defined management.

3. "Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

High energy from the top down. Positive corporate culture with plenty of opportunity to network and expand your horizons to advance.

Cons

Not all leadership in middle management is committed to the company values.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to keep better tabs on what is happening under each business team. Since the company is so large there is plenty of room for bad managers to hide and negatively impact the working group.

4. "Great place overall, if you can handle the pressure."

Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexable work times, friendly co workers, fast paced environment.

Cons

Well you serve many elderly individuals and learning what others know can be intimidating as managment can be fairly demanding. Kind of high school, but honestly i feel like the gm picks really great mature kids.

Advice to Management

This is tough because imo managments job is to make more money so they can get pushy, and if they where not pushy i wouldnt preform. But things like credit cards are Super annoying and i hate having goals related to credit cards.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great Company to work for
    Amazing managers
    Great Benefits
    Awesome Co-workers
    Opportunity to advance

Cons

Underpaid workers
    Must work weekends
    Upset customers

Advice to Management

pay workers more.

6. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a paycheck. Schedules were ok. Manager was accommodating to change schedule if necessary. Fast paced so always busy

Cons

Not enough pay for the amount of work asked to do. Very hectic. Needs to be trained more to give customers help

7. "Great first job - Sales Associate (Minnetonka, MN)"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

New products are fun to work with
    Very engaging and lots to do - little boring down time
    Management is great
    I like talking to people so thats fun

Cons

It's hard to see how much you're selling compared to how much you're paid.
    Retail hours
    Potential idiot customers

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. "Bestbuy is an amazing company to work for."

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working here, it is a very friendly environment. The break-room is one of the nicest i've ever used. The discount is a huge +++. We also receive a substantial amount of paid days off (23 in the first year of employment. We also receive monthly and quarterly bonuses.

Cons

I can't think of any cons!

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like we are paid on commission and stop pushing the best buy credit card so hard.

"Great place to advance a career but not a paycheck."

Current Employee - Back Office Lead in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Back Office Lead in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros of working at Best Buy are of course the discount, the culture of "having fun" and the support from territory/district/hr management. Another pro is the free education you will obtain on all kinds of electronics while you work here. They keep things fun which many jobs can't. They also will do anything to make the work-life balance meet for non-exempt employees.

Cons

The cons are without a doubt the pay structure which is dreadful. The amount of work these people are expected to do at $8.50 an hour is ridiculous. Employees think it stops there but that mentality gets worse if you become a "lead" in which you get paid $13-14 an hour to be an under-appreciated, under-respected, and under-paid supervisor. Cutting corners with pay will probably send this company into bankruptcy. It cost money to hire people constantly if they just paid people better they would work harder and quit less. Turnover is everything and Best Buy can't seem to grasp this.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they deserve from the start. Getting a raise worth 30 cents is a slap in the face that leaves employees looking for jobs elsewhere and hiring managers desperate for whole-store pay increases so it doesn't happen again.

10. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best Buy is a great place to start a career. You learn skills that will help you at other jobs if you ever choose to move. You also get a great discount and your team members literally become your best friends. If you want to move up in the company there are always opportunities if you show that you have that drive to move up and be the best.

Cons

Leadership has recently been very strict on sales numbers. This really isn't an issue unless you can't sell anything to save your life. If that is the case then you probably shouldn't work in a sales position to begin with. You also have to deal with customers who want you to give them horrible deals that make no money for the company, or you get the customers who want you to void tax when you price match.

I would say the other main con that I have had is moving up. I was promised in October 2013 that I would get a full time position and I never got offered any full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones. This is a pain because they want to keep you below a payment threshold so they don't have to give you benefits.

In fact let me add one more con. If you are good and everyone else in your department sucks, then be prepared to lose a lot of hours. Had a month where only me and 2 other guys were doing good in my department out of 8 people and hours were cut drastically. Even the full timers were only getting 28 hours.

Advice to Management

My advice would be that you get rid of the losers who don't put effort into there job and yet they have a full time job. Honestly you talk about our future leaders only getting full time, yet there are a log of ding dongs who are still in full time positions. You should also force people to either move up in the company or demote them because being in your same standard full time position for 5 years and not having the urge to move, doesn't help the company one bit.

Showing 11 of 15,239 reviews