Best Buy Sales Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales Consultant

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life balance can use some work" (in 495 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 562 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Springdale, AR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is great, the environment is productive. Training is amazing.

Cons

If you want to do well you will have to actually work. If you do then it will be a fun experience and place to work. If you slack off then you will be bored and want to leave.

2. "Seasonal Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you’re a student in high school or college, this can be a good place to work if you want to make a little more than minimum wage.

The job is indoors and really just involves talking to people every day.

You don’t need as much technical knowledge as you’d think because that can be taught to you while you’re training.

Every day has different challenges, and good employees really can distinguish themselves and move up.

The option to work full time and receive benefits and bonuses also exists, but don’t be surprised if they start you out seasonal as this is how most people I worked with started out. If it’s the right season you’ll get as many hours as you want, and they may increase you to full time if you perform well.

The CEO and their business model are solid, and this seems like one of the better companies to work for in retail.

The people I worked with were some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, and they even made the bad days good.

You will be thoroughly trained.

Cons

You are not entirely in control of whether or not you hit your own goals because there will be days when there just aren’t a lot of people looking to buy your product. This is usually made up on busier days like weekends, but it is still a con because it can hurt you even when you do things right.

The closing shift is scheduled to work until a half hour after the store closes, but we were almost always there much longer. This was improved upon recently but still remains an issue — especially around holidays. If the store closes at 1am on Thanksgiving expect to be closing until 3:30am and then show back up tomorrow morning for Black Friday. This is especially annoying because most frustration with this could be avoided by adjusting the schedule.

Expect to be on your feet all shift, up to eight hours (except for a lunch break up to a half hour).

Everyone has to be available to work on weekends and some holidays. Shifts are a minimum of 4 hours, which can make scheduling difficult for students.

I was told that conversations, especially regarding store cards, geek squad protection, and other core items, should be natural and never forceful to the customer when being trained by managers. However, the same managers would often reprimand me when I wasn’t forceful. (I.e. make people say no to GSP three times before you stop asking, among other too-forceful practices.) It really can make you feel like a sleazy salesman some days.

Advice to Management

Pushing people to meet goals is great, but making people bully customers is not great. There are definitely managers that made me dread going in because I knew they’d be upset if I didn’t use sales tactics that seemed incredibly aggressive to me.

3. "Sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing work enviorment And very flexible hours

Cons

recognition of achievement overall

4. "Sales Driven Environment"

Current Employee - Digital Imaging Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Digital Imaging Sales Consultant

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours are easily flexible and the work environment is awesome.

Cons

Low starting pay and no progress based compensation.

5. "Computer Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with the latest consumer technology.
    Product training is great.
    Doing specific product trainings can get you great deals on electronics.
    Good place to learn sales techniques and put them into practice on a daily basis.

Cons

Managers are very numbers focused versus people focused, seems to stem from the top. But that is the nature of sales I suppose.
    Promotion is very political, better get good at what the right people want you to be good at within the retail store. Don’t rock the boat or ask too many questions, pretend you know what you’re doing even if you don’t.

Advice to Management

Your employees are the lifeblood of your business. Invest more into their pay and benefits so you don’t lose the best ones once they finish school.
    If you hated the way your previous managers conducted business then don’t fall into their bad habits because it helps relieve your own stress temporarily.
    All in all appreciative of the time invested in me, advice given, and the lessons learned.

6. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base pay, fun work environment, many benefits

Cons

Intense performance culture can get stressful, demanding scheduling

7. "Generally a good place to work for young adults with not much job experience or training"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Bowie, MD

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good place to work if your just entering the workforce, Truly opens you to the world of IT and sales. You'll have a lot of fun working and competing with your team members, learning about new products and interacting with (some) customers. Fast-paced environment makes shifts go by faster and you'll typically be doing a lot of walking which certainly beats standing in the same spot for prolonged periods, an unfortunate requirement of several other retailers. Considerable discount on accessories, smart home devices, appliances, and protection plans. May be able to strike a deal with management on open-box laptops depending who you talk to/how well the store is doing financially.

Cons

Unrealistic availability requirements. You might have to be available all week and only get called in to work 10 hours. Frequently understaffed, you may be the only person having to serve multiple needs of several impatient customers at once. This is not particularly managements fault but more so the fault of a disconnected labour board. Unrealistic sales goals, Unrealistic emphasis on credit card applications. You'll probably be working all of Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend, The week leading up to Christmas Day, Labour Day, Memorial Day, and most government/national holidays besides Christmas itself. No discount on major platforms like PS4s and Xboxes, Apple products, mobile phones.

Advice to Management

Connect with your team and actual ask them about themselves from time to time, not every conversation must be sales driven. Teach sales associates the techniques they need to meet goals as opposed to just increasing them. Occasionally going on the floor to help sell/experience what your subordinates are dealing with helps raises moral and keep people on track. Frequent competitions for ALL departments (including AP and warehouse) will help keep people motivated. Using lottery tickets, food, and other cheap, last-second ideas as rewards will serve to motivate no one and will only waste time. Gift cards in my experience are the only effective way to promote good performance. We know your bonuses are large enough to include these things and if they cause the store to meet its goals it is certainly in your best interest to do so.

8. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

my co-workers are great. Not much else

Cons

upper management is awful and they know it. Breathing down your throats to sell credit cards. Extremely monotonous job. Feel like you are wasting your life.

9. "About as good as it will get for retail"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you have a passion for technology, you get to be around the latest and greatest every day. Employee discount isn't bad depending on what it is you'd like to purchase.

Cons

New employees aren't trained like they used to be. Be prepared to give up every holiday except Easter and Christmas.

Advice to Management

Don't hire for the sake of filling spots. Bring in people with work ethics who want to represent themselves, their team and the company at the highest standard.

10. "Sales insulting"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work., or where your in school.

Cons

Work is not reliable, not a good choice to build a career.

Advice to Management

Stop favoriting people over others and underpaying.