Best Buy Sales Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales Consultant

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Friendly workplace"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly with staff, great discount

Cons

Corporate misunderstanding of what happens in the stores.

Advice to Management

Grow

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close group and interactive experience

Cons

No cons to put here

"Almost a 5"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Strongsville, OH
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your experience at Best Buy will mostly depend on the stores' management but almost all stores' management is great. The job is really fun, especially if you're good at it.
    I started at 16 and am coming up on 3 years here, the coworkers range in age but they're all so easy to get along with.
    You develop a love of the technology, even if you didn't know anything about it before (I didn't know anything about TV's).
    The pay is great, especially for teens, I should've led with that. The better you do, the higher your yearly raise will be. Salaries vary based on department, appliances and mobile get paid the most, but if you're a teenager looking for a job to make some money on the side of school, 100% recommend.
    It helps you develop good social skills, how to talk to customers, how to establish comfort with somebody you just met, and the best way to communicate.
    They were super flexible with me when I was in school, and I mean really really flexible.
    The discount is really great, too and comes in handy.
    All in all, it's a ton of fun.

Cons

You're expected to sell a certain amount and if you're not hitting your goal it can be a bit stressful, depending on your managers.
    One of the reasons I didn't give it a 5 is because management can really make or break the job, management can really ruin the whole experience.
    The vibe of work seems to depend upon budgets; if you're hitting your target, if the store is hitting its budget. If not, at my store at least, spirits seem to crash, management gets frustrated, employees get tired of it.
    It's definitely a much more demanding job than Pizza Hut or H&M, but the fun when you're doing well, the pay, the discount are worth it.

Advice to Management

My management had a habit of not doing their jobs, just having fun with each other and employing friends. Other than that, most stores have management that works to help out the employees, and they do really well with it.

"Amazing First Job!"

Current Employee - Connected Devices Sales Consultant in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Connected Devices Sales Consultant in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expectations:
    - Stay zoned in your department
    - Contact customers within a timely fashion
    - Use various sales techniques to engage customer with offers
    - In-depth product knowledge in many areas [you learn most via experience]
    - Cover other departments if you're not busy
    - When no customers available, clean your dept.+bring more product out

Management:
    - Very relaxed at my location
    - Fun and great to work with
    - Always there for any question no matter how stupid
    - Genuine positivity
    - 1 on 1's performance meetings are engaging and unique to advance your skills

Colleagues:
    - Everyone is fun to work with
    - Generally accept you for your personality/lifestyles
    - Mostly willing to switch shifts if needed
    - Extremely diverse

Comments:
    - Management/Colleague quality is extremely different depending locations
    - Employee price/promotions are great
    - Break policy/room are good
    - TV in break room always has Impractical Jokers on it (definitely a plus lol)
    - Easy learning curve for all company interfaces
    - Always room from improvement in sales\
    - Never have been discriminated, I started before senior year of high school and I am currently freshmen in college
    - Cool company competitions [in-store and company wide]

Overall:
    - Amazing first job
    - Really easy to be happy after a shift even when your day beforehand was bad

I am coming on a year and a half with the company. I can vividly remember the day that I installed Glass Door app on my phone and looked at these reviews for an idea of what I was applying to.

I'm a very skeptical person when it comes to these decisions but you can rest assured this is all my first hand experience.

Cons

To be very straight forward, my location does not have many cons.

Equipment:
    - All computers/registers at my location have fairly slow internet
    - Loading company resources through internally secure Internet Explorer can be slow and annoying to make customers wait
    - Some locations force you to wear the "P.O.S. Tablets", point of sale tablets, which have the same software as register stations but you can check out customers if they use debit/credit cards where ever you stand. However, the downside is that you do not need them on a slow day but are still forced to wear it.

Sales Expectations:
    - This position, connected home, sees a lot less traffic and actually paying customers than all other departments alone. This means you have to "steal" sales in other departments just to hit revenue goals [even though the goals are low it still is pretty unrealistic lol].

No other cons for this location.

LAST CON?:
    Not sure if this is a con for others, but this job is kind of a meme. I try to wear something over my "blue shirt" whenever I'm in public lol, even on hot days.

Advice to Management

Management at my location should really crack down on employee's that are abusing the break policy. Some people take too many breaks especially for this job as it does not require a ton of effort.

Note: Location listed is random, I do not feel comfortable specifying it.

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1: Bonusing is nice even when it comes to being part time
    2: Managers always train when needed to do so
    3: Friendly environment
    4: The discounts are really good
    5: They work well with your school schedule if needed

Cons

1: Pay is ehhh for all the things you have to know
    2: My location has a manager who always has a problem with anything and everything so asking for his assistance is always a no go for me
    3: Keeping up with numbers isn't hard... as long as there is customers, but if there isn't no matter what it's kinda hard to do something about it

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is if there is a manager who literally has a problem with every employee in the store, there should be some sort of action taken against it to talk about why it's so hard for him to work with anyone

6. "Best Buy is a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

They really care about their employees. They care about your growth, both in product and service knowledge and growth within the company.

Cons

Like any retail job, you will have to deal with a handful of difficult customers. However, at the end of the day working for Best Buy really makes you love your job regardless of whether it's just a part-time job for the time being or as a career option.

7. "Employee disparities in the Sales Floor"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Eagan, MN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team-work based, a lot of great customer interactions, prepare you in an adequate manner though depends on the sales lead that does training on products, induction training really helps you for selling.

Cons

Feels like the managers/leads are too corporate focused and not as focused on their employees. As a worker from the Minnesota area, most managers focused on their job search for an HQ position while they could have been improving the store and the respective associates. Whenever they are on the sales floor, they were too focused on the bigger sales, credit cards, and did not focus on other employee nor customer need. Leads are also quick to blame anyone but them on employee performance.

Advice to Management

Work better on improving employee knowledge on products, training is everything to create a good emploee

8. "Amazing first job"

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Davenport, FL
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Davenport, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great potential to grow.
    Company really cares about their employees.

Cons

Sometimes feels as if you should making more for the job that you do every day.

9. "Competitive environment, but lots of brainwashing"

Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy, flexible schedules, hardworking management

Cons

Very political sometimes, room for a lot of rude miscommunication

Advice to Management

Branding and numbers have to balance well and add up, otherwise don't waste your time trying to push numbers or even attempting to look good when one or the other is missing - is there is no value to the customer or to Best Buy, why waste time preaching?

10. "Good for out of high school. Career, not so much..."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet a lot of new people, learn new skills, good way to get out of comfort zone.

Cons

Pay is low, managers are always out of work and changing.