Best Buy Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Best Buy Software Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

Found 13 reviews

4.2
Best Buy CEO Corie Barry (no image)
Corie Barry
  1. "Good company, latest technologies"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Java Developer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been able to grow professionally a lot at Best Buy and have worked with some of the smartest people here. They use a lot of the latest technologies and have a great culture despite their large size. I feel like the managers and directors really do care about you here

Cons

Honestly it's just the commute for me that is making me consider a different company to work for

Best Buy2019-04-25
  2. "The Digital/Dotcom group was a great place to work before everyone left to work at Target"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Director

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great engineering incl. the scale and challenge to make it fun

Cons

The company has no idea how valuable the E-Commerce portion is; if they would just focus on the E-Commerce and automated fulfillment ~ supply chain ... time will tell but this could be a real missed opportunity depending on what happens during the next retail downturn.

Best Buy2019-09-10
  3. "Nice Place To Work"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer

I have been working at Best Buy for less than a year

Pros

The compnay uses newer technologies

Cons

Larger corporation, so it takes a while to transition to an employee.

Best Buy2019-04-23

"Get your pay process together."

Former Contractor - Software QA in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy for less than a year

Pros

* Got to work with better technology. * From the town halls I listened to, Hubert Joly and his C-level team had a solid grasp on the company's issues. They deserve kudos for that. * Developers and BAs were mostly good to work with .

Cons

* Software development process had issues. * Project Manager couldn't earn respect of team. * My paycheck was late 3 out of the last 5 I had there. I have to pay my rent!!! * Equipment to test software on POS machine constantly broken. I had to walk all the way across campus to use another lab on two ingrown toenails. Ouch. * They have a reputation of being tough to work for and having bad software development... practices.

Advice to Management

C-level management: You're doing it right. My immediate management and Randstad Technologies: I was almost evicted because I couldn't pay my rent because you couldn't pay me. You blame me and put a black mark next to my name even though the Best Buy's HR person admitted the team had huge turnover issues. If you wanted performance, you should have worked together instead of putting me in the middle of it. I'm not... Accounts Payable and Receivable, especially when I'm taking over the jobs that three people vacated.

Best Buy2015-11-18
  5. "Best Buy"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Work Environment, Greater scope for career growth, Working on newer technologies

Cons

Aggressive business nature will make delivery schedules hectic.

Best Buy2012-10-30
  6. "Excellent place to work but does have its downsides."

Product/Software Tester in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to advance with tons of freedom. If you need to leave early or come in late there is rarely an issue with doing so. You are allowed to flourish and be innovative without management being over-bearing. Co-workers are very friendly and rarely conflict with others. The corporate campus is pretty well equiped and makes your day go a lot faster. In general I would not only work there... again but actually plan to do so in the future.

Cons

The biggest downside to working at Best Buy is the constant need for management to change things. It is a very fast paced company and does not hessitate to change things that might appear to not be working. This typically ends up with them not giving a project enough time or consideration to find out if something is working or not. Frequently money is wasted because of this and makes everyones lives misserable. ... In lower level positions such as at the store level management tends to be too controlling and makes employees lives misserable.

Advice to Management

Increase employee pay! Most positions at Best Buy do not pay enough and as a result does not attract the caliber of employees that are needed. Talent frequently leaves for greener pastures just because of the pay issue.

Best Buy2009-02-27
  7. "Front-End Developer, Back-End Developer, Quality Assurance Tester"

Former Intern - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Best Buy for less than a year

Pros

Best Buy Canada does an excellent job at recruiting people who abide to their company values - being amazing and the best they can at work while having fun. I got the privilege of working with an amazing team who not just provided me with technical skills and experience, but comfort and trust that I haven't gotten in other workplaces so far. Being treated to my fullest capability encouraged me to work harder and... learn stuff out of my comfort zone.

Cons

The internship program is relatively new, so the experience will vary between interns. You will risk having placed in a disorganized team and family, and fall behind or lost in the company's Agile workflow they so proudly adopt. That beings said, the company is all about feedbacks and any chance to give feedback for improvement will be greatly rewarded.

Advice to Management

Take the chance to ask interns and onboarding members how they are doing - do check-ups every once in a while until they feel comfortable. It wasn't until halfway through my internship that I brought up my level of un-productivity that I was able to request for a team switch to be made. That being said, I wasn't even sure if I was at a level of authority to question my position and request such a change. Things like... these should be made wary to interns as same level of flexibility and opportunity vary different across different companies.

Best Buy2019-08-21
  8. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Culture. Great Leadership. Great Work-life Balance.

Cons

Location. Salary is lower than average.

Best Buy2019-07-14

"Give the opportunities to the people who deserve it"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Consultant in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Best Buy for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good environment open space, cafeteria + gym + amenities. - Some interesting projects - Good life work balance - Some friendly people to work with

Cons

- There are a lot of good people who won't continue in the company because they are being left behind when it comes to new opportunities - too much focus in management - management has poor visibility of those who bring high impact in a daily-basis

Advice to Management

Value more the real doers and give credit to those who really make an impact.

Best Buy2017-06-18

"Stop Favouritism!"

Software Developer in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Employee discount Location is good and lots of parking

Cons

1- Favouritism 2- Lack of leadership 3- Buggy Legacy app 4- Lots of Politics 5- Noisy office with super small desk and no privacy

Advice to Management

Stop Favouritism. Listen to others as well.

Best Buy2017-06-11