Best Buy Sr Business Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Sr Business Analyst

3.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Things are looking up"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great things going on in the IT space at Best Buy, great challenges that come with a lot of rewards. Pay is competitive, and company future is looking good with the current strategy in place by new leadership.

Cons

Misalignment between dotcom and enterprise IT teams can cause delays and challenges moving cross-enterprise efforts forward.

2. "Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

High energy from the top down. Positive corporate culture with plenty of opportunity to network and expand your horizons to advance.

Cons

Not all leadership in middle management is committed to the company values.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to keep better tabs on what is happening under each business team. Since the company is so large there is plenty of room for bad managers to hide and negatively impact the working group.

3. "Imagine sprinting a marathon every day....now you know what it's like to work at Best Buy"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with in my carrier were from Best Buy. Also, decisions are made in hours not weeks and direction is given and expected to be executed on extremely quickly. It's nice not having a lot of red tape to go through to get things done. Great employee discount!

Cons

There is nothing strategic about most initiatives. Everything revolves around being truly tactical. IT drives business, not the other way around. This is the #1 problem of this organization in my opinion. I see no vision or direction from business teams. There is no work/life balance here and there is no concept of locked scope. Priorities change almost daily and then you're given a hard time as to why you didn't deliver everything. There is no concept of a "process" here either. It's truly the wild wild west in terms of IT delivery.

Advice to Management

Place value in your employees personal life and let them have one instead of burning out your employees. Have a strategy beyond just "keeping up" with everyone else. Think outside the box and give customers something they can't get everywhere else.

"Discrimination and Overwork"

Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Used to allow ROWE work environment, but now the CEO has killed that- it's just a miserable place to work.
    2. Everyone has covered parking.

Cons

1. Witnessed and was told by my bosses that Best Buy does not hire people over the age of 35 into the IT roles.
    2. Witnessed and was told by my bosses that there are some jobs that men do better than women, including mine, and that they would not hire any more women into the group- no matter how qualified.
    3. Witnessed and was told by my bosses that they do not hire Indians because, and I quote here, "They smell funny".
    4. Work load and time frame was outrageous- your hair is on fire every day. There is no relief.
    5. Everyone, including contractors, cannot take vacation during the "busy time" which is October through the end of February.

Advice to Management

While I was told by my bosses that it was cheaper to hire young and payout rarely for the discrimination suits, it really pisses me off that you can't treat an employee like a person.

Also, the ROWE work environment was incredibly successful and made it a great place to work.

Ever since the Turkey fiasco, you've really let the corporate headquarters fall into disrepair- the carpet needs replacing and the walls need painting and the bathrooms are always disgusting.