Best Buy Reviews in Syracuse, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
Cons
  • not the best great work life balance (in 414 reviews)

• Working up to full-time means you are part-time for awhile (in 461 reviews)

1. "Best Buy of Love"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company to work for. I've worked for BB 5 times over 17 years at the Destiny Mall location as both full-time and part-time/seasonal. I've really enjoyed my employment with this company which is why I keep going back.. Management at this location has been pretty outstanding overall. The store manager Jason is very fair and extremely knowledgeable in his role.. Jason embues all the best traits in his staff and encourages positivity 24/7, 365.

Cons

Love it or hate it's retail.

2. "Project specialist"

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great hours, hour long lunch

Cons

No room for advancement within your field

Advice to Management

Nothing

3. "Loved it"

Current Employee - Cadet in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Cadet in Syracuse, NY

Pros

Good benifets when you can use them.
    Unfortunately retail often conflicts with family life.

No one should work thanksgiving day in a for profit company

Cons

Work can be very sessional not enough hours in the summer and not enough well trained employees in the holidays

Advice to Management

Other companies are paying a lot more for similar work. Once you are in a position raises are yearly and are capped at 5%. Only way to get a raise is to get a promotion. And that's not fair to your employees

5. "Good job"

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Pay is good and you can grow

Cons

Not much just depends on where you live hours will be cuts on off seasons

6. "Decent job for being retail, but the company is on the decline so don't expect to make a career out of it."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Employee discount is really nice on certain products (Cost of product plus five percent)
    -You will be a respected employee as long as you put the work in.
    -Fast paced work environment, depending on the department you work in and time of year
    -Pretty much unlimited overtime during the holidays (non-mandatory)

Cons

-Hard to move up unless you're a Best Buy robot.
    -Company seems to be on the decline, I worked at Best Buy for 3 years (Two years in Asset Protection (First year I was part time, second year I got promoted to AP lead.), one in Customer Service) and the company has gone through two restructures in my time there, with supervisors/managers getting laid off each time, supervisors get two weeks of severance per each year they've been employed at Best Buy, managers get 6 months worth. I've had opportunities to step into a supervisor role but declined and looked for better paying jobs elsewhere.
    -Management doesn't always give constructive performance reviews, but this depends on the supervisor individually, you might get lucky and get a decent supervisor
    -Pay is okay for being a retail store, not enough to fully support yourself unless you're a supervisor or manager of you've been there 10+ years
    -Raises kind of blow and are decreasing, I got a 55 cent raise for my first annual review, then for my second annual review I got a 30 cent raise with an even higher performance review. A friend who was the top Geek Squad salesman for two months straight got a 19 cent raise for his annual review, to put it into perspective.
    -Health benefits are severely overpriced
    -No paid time off unless you are a full time employee if I can remember correctly.
    -If you work sales and don't put out outstanding numbers, you're a nobody to most members of leadership, and expect to work less than 15 hours per week (except around the holidays) if you're part time and don't produce. Sad but true.
    -If you work at customer service, I can tell you first hand that it's not a hard position to learn, I mastered it in less than a year and I was training people after my first week, BUT, expect to constantly be fixing other employees' mistakes, not only from your store but other stores in the area.
    -If you work in Asset Protection, expect to be thrown under the bus by just about everyone in the store except other AP associates/some warehouse people (to most people you'll be considered the "idiots at the door"), unless you show that you are willing to put your foot down and not get "bullied" by the more tenured employees. This is important.

Advice to Management

-Take more time to spend with employees to improve on their performance instead of just throwing people under the bus when they aren't constantly destroying their ridiculous goals.
    -Realize that people working there have lives outside of work and they aren't Best Buy robots.

7. "Fun company, new and fun products, customers can be very demanding"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Discount, Benefits for Full time and Part time. Always part of the latest in greatest in consumer electronics.

Cons

Leadership varies from store to store. Some stores have extremely talented people keeping the wheels moving while others not so much. It's retail, you are expected to work or be available most holidays. Time and a half is great, and double time and half if your full time and work the holidays.

Advice to Management

Promote the talent from within. Make sure the right people are in the right spot to succeed in their skill sets. Pay employees slightly more to be competitive with Apple and Microsoft hourly employees, this will allow you to hire more talented people and hold higher expectations from employees.

8. "Great Peers, bad management"

Former Employee - RETAIL SALES SUPERVISOR in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - RETAIL SALES SUPERVISOR in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great starting pay, great coworkers, very flexible work hours.

Cons

3 weeks notice for any time off request, poor top tier leadership (from district level down)

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, great discount, great friends.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. "Always changing atmosphere"

Current Employee - Samsung Experience Expert in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Samsung Experience Expert in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Each day is always a different experience. Great customer and employee relationships. Support from leadership.

Cons

Pay can pale in comparison to what is expected. No opportunities for advancement. Reorganizations every few years.

Advice to Management

invest more into your line level staff. Pay doesn't need to be extreme, but more to make employees feel valued.

11. "Good people, good oppportunity, good memories."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usually fast-paced, fun to work with electronics, employee discount, mostly young people, flexible schedule, most customers are good people and many are enjoying to talk to.

Cons

low pay, little upward mobility, managers are overworked and underpaid and therefore unable to provide the kind of support that would be necessary to truly make employees successful.

Advice to Management

Pay people more. Consider commissioned sales.

Showing 13 of 13,683 reviews