Best Buy Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

Tampa, FL

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 500 reviews)

1. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Starting pay, good holiday bonuses. Great discount

Cons

Depending on store location sales goals can seem at times impossible to meet leading to lack of hours given to a specific employee.

2. "BestBuy - Computer Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is never a dull moment as the people you meet and atmosphere Best buy creates keep the job interesting. The pay is decent and the hours a flexible so this is great if you are in school for example. The employee discount is great depending on the item!

Cons

Having to work major holidays. Moving up can sometimes be difficult as there is favoritism between the managers and some employees.

Advice to Management

Overall, working here was a blast! My one critique, have more respect for your employee's time especially when they are closing the store and waiting to be "walked".

3. "Loved working here"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun retail environment! Depending on location, management and staff feel like family. Best employee discount program. Full time benefits are fantastic. Variety of different positions available-not just sales. If you work hard, promotions are available. Re locations are fairly easy due to so many stores in the country.

Cons

You must be flexible in your schedule. A lot of mid shifts. Required to meet certain criteria for full time hours. Every store has a different vibe, based on staff and management- this can be a pro or con.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in your message to staff. Be fair to everyone.

4. "Not a democracy"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun, new experience, nice environment, customers aren't bad, very easy, company cares, had all inclusive training, for the most part it's chill, just do your thing.

Cons

For the most part people who have been working there the longest feel like they can do anything they want yet when you do something they don't like they point you out, some managers aren't that great and can be very arrogant. Since I've been working there I felt limited to what I can do. I'm a very cool generous person but felt like I never did anything right. After awhile I've had people on my butt and felt like I didn't belong, from two "managers"

Advice to Management

Don't be so sensitive, and learn to be understanding of your employees, also you aren't the law it's suppose to be a cool friendly environment don't try to run a person's life because you think that your way is the only way to function. There are different ways on how to do things

5. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great Environment with a nurturing management team. Many engagement initiatives and team advancement opportunities.

Cons

Lack of hours and slight favoritism. Some of the staff did not work as hard as others which did create tension

Advice to Management

Advance from within. However, still a great environment and a fun place to work part time

6. "It's great starting job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is not that bad in relation to other retail jobs. They are willing to work with your availability as well, which is great since I am a college student.
    Maybe it's the location I'm at, but all the managers are pretty cool. There are some who can micromanage too much, but nothing too bad.
    Bonuses are pretty nice too! It's pretty easy to transfer into departments and get a better pay.

Cons

Blockout dates during Thanksgiving week and Christmas week makes it nearly impossible to travel anywhere.
    Only yearly raises
    Push on credit card apps

Advice to Management

My mangers make it pretty enjoyable to go to work. They actually care about us and make working fun.

7. "Consultation Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Team environment, Great Discount, Fun People, Decent Pay

Cons

Not recognized for good work, Hard to move up in company or to a better paying position

8. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Solutions Specialist & Cashier in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Solutions Specialist & Cashier in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I have ever worked for in my youth/college days. It's a fun, relaxed environment. The pay is very competitive, and the discount is AMAZING! They supply you with uniform shirts and sweaters, you just have to buy your own khaki pants and dress shoes (except for Geek Squad where your ENTIRE uniform is provided by the company). You get to interact with a lot of different people and learn about a lot of different products and technology, even if you are a cashier or Guest Service employee.

Cons

You don't get a discount on "big ticket items" like gaming consoles, computers, laptops, cell phones, etc... You can buy through vendor discount site, but it's usually on select models and not what you'd have as a first, second, or third choice. I worked at two different locations and they were like night and day. The first location was more organized and customer friendly. The employees were hard working and had great attitudes and did their job with a sense of urgency. My location closed and were were given the opportunity to transfer to another location or take a severance package. The second location I worked at was HORRIBLE! The employees didn't care about their job, nor they were as knowledgeable as the employees at my previous location. I literally was checking out a line of customers while the girl who was supposed to be at the register next to me was sitting down (out of sight), playing on her cellphone. Management didn't care about lazy employees and I ended up leaving shortly after my transfer.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable for their actions. One employee shouldn't have to pick up the workload of another, because they are lazy and slacking off. If people are not doing their job, they should be disciplined up to, and including, termination.

"Computer sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job was fun, just lots of selling with specializing in selling of the warranty's. It was a good first job.

Cons

You have to be on your feet all the time. You can't sit down much. Lunch is 30 min.

Advice to Management

It's stupid that my manager and other co workers can take lots of breaks outside to smoke while I can not because I don't smoke..... Doesn't make sense. I guess I have to start smoking to get more breaks.

"Good company while in School"

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Advance Repair Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Advance Repair Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Flexible on time. While you're in school, this is a great place. Always current on technology that's coming up. Your colleagues are great. People enjoy what they do when you're working. Can be entertaining.

Cons

It's retail. Nothing great there. No real progression path. Was always just a job while I was in college for me though. Store management and department management/supervisors always have conflicting thoughts. Rules change depending on who is there.For example, when GM is there smoke breaks are strictly enforce and ecigs are not to be used inside. When he's not there, smoke breaks can end up being a half hour long, and ecigs inside is a free for all. Likely just the store that I worked in.

Advice to Management

Reliability and consistency in store management. Majority of the cons of working at Best Buy is the lack of reliable management. Have been told many times by managers, "I don't want to deal with it, just take care of it."Don't mind doing that, when a customer is specifically asking for a manager, that's a different story.

Showing 53 of 14,773 reviews