Best Buy Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

Tampa, FL Area

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Best Retail Enviornment"

Current Employee - Connections Associate in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Connections Associate in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Non-Commissioned Workplace, Sense of "Family" in most departments, Flexible Hours, Competitive Pay, Management is usually very personal and driven for their team.

Cons

Constantly Changing Technology can be hard for some people, and It's still just retail sales no matter how shiny the products are or how well they train you, so some people may not prefer it.

Advice to Management

Keep up with strong communication, Mentor for advancement to avoid the standard higher levels of retail turnover. Keep up with the flexibility on college students schedules, it definitely encourages them to stay with you after obtaining their degree.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

401k matching, employee discount, stock purchase discounts and fair wages

Cons

Turn over rate is really low which you would think is a good thing, but moving up is somewhat hard

3. "Computer Sales"

Former Employee - Computing and Tablet Sales Consultant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Computing and Tablet Sales Consultant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount, Customer interaction was fun at times

Cons

No room for advancement, all online training

4. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Verizon Mobility Expert in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Verizon Mobility Expert in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$ the benefits my mobile team and the training . And the way we get to work with other vendors

Cons

Working with young kids . Some of them have no work ethic. The way some of the young employees talk to you at work

Advice to Management

Love my management team

5. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Starting pay, good holiday bonuses. Great discount

Cons

Depending on store location sales goals can seem at times impossible to meet leading to lack of hours given to a specific employee.

6. "Good Beginner Phone Sales Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not working on commission in Best Buy Mobile allows for a less stress environment compared to working in a regular phone store.

Best Buy really takes care of their employees. They put a lot of time and money into training new employees, and even send them on paid training trips to learn how to be a better salesperson or associate.

You also get incredible discounts off of products from all Best Buy stores and Best Buy affiliated stores, like Magnolia Home Theater and Pacific Appliances. These discounts vary by product, however the most significant discounts are off of Best Buy's brand Insignia.

They are willing to work with students and provide the most flexible schedule possible.

Cons

Not working on commission means you make SIGNIFICANTLY less than your average phone store associate. The starting pay in Best Buy Mobile is typically $11 and hour, and that is the only pay you'll get. As a part time worker with an average of 25 hours a week, this means all you'll be paid is a few hundred dollars a pay check, whereas if you were doing the same job at a regular phone store your pay would be closer to the thousand dollar range.

Because Best Buy Mobile is only an authorized retailer, and not a regular carrier store, the associated do not have as much power as a regular store would when it comes to customers accounts. Customers do not understand this, and will often come to Best Buy Mobile seeking resolutions for their grievances with their phone carriers when in fact they should be going to a corporate owned Verizon/Sprint/AT&T store instead. Occasionally phone carrier's will tell prospective customers that they can go to a Best Buy Mobile for the problem they are having, when in fact we do not have the tools necessary to solve their problem.

Advice to Management

Be there for your sales associates. I cannot count on two hands the amount of times I have needed something and not been able to get a quick resolution because management is nowhere to be found, or does not respond to calls on the walkie talkie.

7. "BestBuy - Computer Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is never a dull moment as the people you meet and atmosphere Best buy creates keep the job interesting. The pay is decent and the hours a flexible so this is great if you are in school for example. The employee discount is great depending on the item!

Cons

Having to work major holidays. Moving up can sometimes be difficult as there is favoritism between the managers and some employees.

Advice to Management

Overall, working here was a blast! My one critique, have more respect for your employee's time especially when they are closing the store and waiting to be "walked".

8. "Loved working here"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun retail environment! Depending on location, management and staff feel like family. Best employee discount program. Full time benefits are fantastic. Variety of different positions available-not just sales. If you work hard, promotions are available. Re locations are fairly easy due to so many stores in the country.

Cons

You must be flexible in your schedule. A lot of mid shifts. Required to meet certain criteria for full time hours. Every store has a different vibe, based on staff and management- this can be a pro or con.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in your message to staff. Be fair to everyone.

9. "Favoritism and low pay = Best Buy"

Former Employee - Connected Home in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Connected Home in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were the best. Flexible with scheduling if you go to school or have another job. New tech products to play with.

Cons

Pay is unfair. New hires coming in with no experience making more if not the same as you even after having a year or so under your belt. Lots of favoritism from management. Moving from sales to a different department (Geek Squad) was being block by the GM. Had to get HR involed. After that GM was all buddy buddy with me for like a week.

Advice to Management

Pay better and treat employees as more that just a number.

10. "Great laid back as long as your looking for 10 to 20 hours a wekk"

Current Employee - Sales Consu in New Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consu in New Port Richey, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back interesting if u like technology flexible scheduling good experience employee discount is probably the best part by far however

Cons

20 hours at most except for a couple of weeks durning the holidays expected to be able to for on thanksgiving and Christmas Eve not many opportunities for full time position unless u stay with the company for at least two years

Advice to Management

Not much for store management they are pretty good for corporate thow to have easier expectations for sales goal because we never hit the goal for as long as I worked there

Showing 97 of 15,263 reviews