Best Buy Reviews in Warwick, RI | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

Warwick, RI

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 434 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 502 reviews)

1. "Working at Best Buy is awesome."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a great company. They give great benefits only if you are full time. Management is always great. Never any major problems

Cons

The pay scale is a little off. They should offer all benefits to every employee part time and full time.

2. "Good company to work while in College"

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My store was very team focused/oriented and management gives honest and constructive monthly reviews. Employees don't feel like a number and they are held accountable for their work/sales goals. Management is friendly, but makes sure that people don't take advantage. The work culture is great, management is always trying their best to treat employees for doing a good job and incentivize them to keep surpassing their goals.

Cons

Workload: The amount of work that is placed upon the people in my department is daunting, I have often been in the situation where I am the only employee working in my department and I would have to do 3 things at once. Granted this is due to my store having a limited wage budget and being a high revenue store, but somehow upper management fails to notice this.

Upper Management incompetence: I only refer to this in regards to internal vs external hiring. While in some situations/positions it would make sense to hire externally for certain management positions, there are some positions which require somebody who knows the "ins & outs" especially when it pertains to programs that the company has been using and building upon for more than a decade! Example: The former GM hired externally for the Ops Manager position (This person was infamous for her "project" hires) it took months to train this person to learn the logistics and operations and inventory processes and still the store ended up losing thousands of dollars in product loss because of paperwork issues and failing to follow up with his tasks.

Slashing labor budgets: This is inevitable, but it affects the first con and overall efficiency

Advice to Management

I would advise to think about how decisions will effect overall workload. I would advise to maybe delegate some responsibilities to other departments so that operations would not be the only department working on OMS for example. It can get very stressful doing multiple things at once while having to worry about online orders.

Other than that, keep doing a great job keeping the company afloat!

3. "Retail at the blue box"

Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Warwick, RI

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is really good, people are decent. Schedule flexabilty is good more or less will work around school or another job.

Cons

It's retail, people are crazy, pay is very low hours are erratic. Job requirments shifting frequently. Very slow advancement oppurtunity. Very easy to get in trouble for things you dont know.

Advice to Management

Write schedules more in advance.

4. "This experience has been terrible"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, flexible hours. Working with no tech is a huge plus. Learning about home entertainment industry is valuable. Fellow employees are great people

Cons

Little support for employees. Very little room for growth pay is low. Not much direction given to employees on learning the job how to advance.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with employees. Take time to see what its like really in the operation not just what corporate says.

5. "Computer sales Associates"

Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount is 5% above what the store payed for the item. does not apply on apple items or very premium big box items. only on little accessories and stuff like that. pay was a full dollar above minimum wage.

Cons

micromanagement. bonus structure is garbage! sales numbers sales numbers sales numbers! yet associates don't get any commission. barely nay hours for part time workers.no promotions whatsoever with no raise in a whole 16 months i worked there.

6. "Good Part Time Job"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours as a part time employee

Cons

Retail: you deal with the general public who think they know it all

Advice to Management

Listen more to store level employees

7. "Worked in loss prevention"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Warwick, RI

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with excellent benefits

Cons

Management didn't care enough about employee satisfaction

Advice to Management

Get smart

8. "At Best Buy, I do my job and go home. Nothing gained, nothing lost."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers will work with you to get you the schedule that you need. Lots of opportunities to work extra hours and pick up shifts. Sales positions are non-demanding and require basic communication skills. Non-commission so sales environment is laid back, we only sell what's right for the customer.

Cons

Managers don't believe in just selling what the customer needs. At times, extremely micro-managed and number-based. Promotions are sometimes based off of favoritism and in-store politics. Starting pay and annual raises are fairly low compared to similar retailers.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. Sales associates can really go through hell sometimes to make things right for the customer, and our compensation does not reflect these efforts.

9. "An extremely micro-managed sales environment."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll develop good relations with the co-workers you work closest with, good benefits and stock buying options, flexible work schedules

Cons

Extremely micro-managed sales environment, lack of communication from management to sales associates, favoritism

Showing 9 of 14,992 reviews