Best Buy Reviews in West Jordan, UT | Glassdoor

West Jordan, UT

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance is difficult to perfect" (in 481 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 555 reviews)

1. "Home Theater Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment, fun interactive workplace, very social daily routine, interesting conversations, and overall cool tech that we get to play with leads into an amazing work experience. I have loved working for Best Buy. I plan to peruse a career in the company.

Cons

Not too many cons. Revenue goals can sometimes cause small stress or competition, but we don't get paid commission so it wont affect our paycheck. It is still retail, so holidays are crazy, but still fun.

Advice to Management

Jesus, Kody, Marshall, Cameron, just everyone at my home 1146, keep doing what you're doing. I love you guys.

2. "Great company but hard to move up"

Former Employee - Microsoft Advisor in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Microsoft Advisor in West Jordan, UT

Pros

Learning about technology through path to excellence, Intel retail edge, hp university, we university etc. Friends that you work with and help each other with goal sets.

Cons

Black Fridays hours, hours are not consistent and they want you to keep gold status on path to excellence in your current position but if you want to move they want you to work that area and be silver certified and keep the gold status in current position. Very favorite oriented if your not in the circle you don't move up. Plus wage is to low for what they expect on the floor.

Advice to Management

Be more a neutral person friends are great but not always the best candidate for the promotion given. Keep the drive on the training that is a great path to success. If someone comes and says they are needing more hours due to they can't make bills don't let it go unheard.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reasonable Pay, Amazing Discount, Fun Environment, Good Training Program, and Good with schedules

Cons

There aren't cons to working for the company.

Advice to Management

Have induction more often

4. "Not the best"

Former Employee - Customer Specialist in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Specialist in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts on products. The environment was pretty laid back and there wasn't too much pressure on you day-to-day. Most customers come in knowing what they wanted. Even if there were questions, most of the time I could easily answer and take care of them. It's nice to get to know the different and upcoming products/releases.

Cons

Some of the management was lazy and had a bad attitude. My supervisor actually came back from lunch wreaking of booze, trying to down as many breath mints as he could. I started to notice more of the managers with the a lazy approach. Seemed like they didn't really care whether you were going to stay working there or not. It's kind of like a beginning or in-between job.

Advice to Management

Hire some managers and supervisor with more drive and good attitudes. This would help motivate your employees.

5. "Fun experience and learned alot about the retail world"

Current Employee - Asset Protection in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Asset Protection in West Jordan, UT

Pros

Great place to work for students while in school

Cons

Holidays can be a drag with stressed customers

6. "Not for everyone, but a good place to work if you have charisma and steely resolve"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Jordan, UT

Pros

The discount they give you is amazing, so good that I refuse to pay full price for electronics now that I know how high the mark-up is on items like headphones and cables. Working part-time or as a seasonal employee gets you in the door for the discount too, so if you must install a new audio system in your car or buy those prestige headphones by Dr. Dre, get them while you're working at Best Buy.

Second would be the work atmosphere. From my experience, work offers you a challenge every day. If you're competitive or someone who easily gets bored, you'll probably love the goal-oriented responsibilities that you have to fulfill. Even though you're not on commission, you still have numbers to hit.

Another way it challenges you is that a lot of the job requires you to be very convincing. I found that even though selling service plans and accessories was like pulling teeth for me, I still felt accomplished when someone did buy what I talked about. I still hate doing it, but I can't deny how much better I've become at being persuasive. You get a lot of practice.

Cons

If you're not a social person, being a sales associate will drain you. Best Buy's whole selling platform is based off of trust, which means that you have to make some kind of connection with your customers. Of course, they don't expect you to become best friends with everyone you meet - but you have to fake it well anyways. For some, this becomes exhausting.

Management gets huge bonuses and trips if they meet certain goals, so pressure for sales associates to succeed is huge. Personally, I never felt right about offering things like the PC Setup service because most people with a working knowledge of Google or even a indebted tech-savvy family member/friend could optimize the computer within an hour, compared to the 3-4 it takes us - and for much cheaper.

Another thing I have a problem with is that at my location, management would *try* to emphasize that we were doing everything for the customer, yet we would have to attach a certain dollar amount of accessories to every sale. What if the customer truly doesn't need $150 worth of stuff on their computer? Convince them that they do. Overstate the difficulty of installing a router or antivirus so we can do it for them. I know the burden of caveat emptor is on the buyer, but that doesn't make me feel any better about it.

To a certain point, you have to check your conscience at the door. Especially if you want to keep your hours.

Advice to Management

A recurring complaint I've heard from other sales associates at my store is that no matter how good you are at selling, if you forget to mention one thing, you get treated to a speech that's less constructive criticism and more, "Do you know how much you suck? Try sucking less." The problem isn't in motivating the employees, but to stop DEmotivating them.

Showing 6 of 17,069 reviews