Best Buy Reviews in Williamsport, PA | Glassdoor

Best Buy Williamsport Reviews

Williamsport, PA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance but its retail" (in 483 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 556 reviews)

1. "Inconsistent Management"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a lot of fun working there, while they had a solid General Manager in place. The training is great, and the discount is wonderful.

Cons

Policy depends entirely on the General Manager of each store. This caused very high turnover during transition periods, and no real sense of job security.

Advice to Management

Don't pick and choose when you want to follow policies, based on whether or not the result is advantageous for you personally.

2. "Worst Buy"

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally nice coworkers, not including management. Training was pretty thorough. They talk a good game about ethics and doing right by the customer (they don't actually do that in practice though). If they practiced what they preached they could create a nice atmosphere where people were willing to pay a little more for good service from non-pushy, knowledgeable salespeople. It's too bad they don't do that.

Cons

Very high pressure atmosphere. Managers can be downright mean to employees who aren't performing to their ridiculous standards. They expected huge sales numbers in a little store that had less than 100 customers walk in per day. With so few customers coming in, it was impossible to actually meet those goals. Especially when you realize that most people just come in to look at stuff that they're going to go home and buy from Amazon for half the price. The number of people who would actually buy something in our store per day was less than 40, I would estimate. That makes their sales figures impossible to meet.

They say "don't sell the customer stuff they don't need" but also put a lot of pressure on you to upsell every sale. You can't have it both ways. Between that and the way they make you aggressively approach every single customer, they don't realize that it drives more customers away than anything else. No one likes pushy sales people and at best buy, you have to be pushy or you're constantly in trouble.

The pay was abysmal for how much pressure they put you under. The local gas station chain and grocery store chain pay the same amount hourly just to be a cashier. They tell you in the interview that your take home with be more because of the bonus program. They don't bother to tell you that the goals your store must meet are so high that the store never meets them and so no one ever gets the bonus, at least in my tiny store.

The atmosphere of almost no breaks and short lunches was typical of retail. The way you're constantly watched by management is also typical of retail. I really can't say why anyone works here. I worked in wireless sales for 3 years prior to this, I made more money, and was under much less stress. There are so many better jobs out there that there is just no reason to take one at Best Buy. I now have a job that's actually related to my degree and I regret ever wasting my life at Worst Buy!

Advice to Management

Stop being jerks to your employees. Your employees do their best but let's face it, they're paid the same as grocery store baggers so the high stress environment is just going to make good employees quit, like I did. Also, cool it with the aggressive sales tactics. It scares customers away since no one likes pushy sales people. You guys already mark up all your products, you can't afford to be scaring customers away too. This store is already failing and will end up closing if you guys don't change your tactics which aren't working. Instead, you guys just double down on strategies that made you a failing store in the first place.

Showing 2 of 17,198 reviews