Best Buy Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Best Buy Director Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

4.2
Best Buy CEO Corie Barry (no image)
Corie Barry
  1. "Enjoyable place to work, some old school mentality exists"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast Paced field environment Autonomy & ability to influence strategy Pay is good

Cons

Old school thinking in certain areas Lots of changes over the years - re orgs

Advice to Management

Let the business changes take place & see them through

Best Buy2014-11-12
  2. "Great culture and compensation"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great! The discount is amazing! The company values are timeless!

Cons

Redundancy makes it tough to get things done. People are allowed to opt in or out of initiatives.

Advice to Management

Prioritize and enable value added change

Best Buy2014-09-16
  3. "Excellent, faced paced work environment"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best Buy is an innovative, faced paced environment with ample career advancement. The company recognizes the challenges ahead and is working to build on the changing environment in consumer electronics

Cons

The changing culture has created a sense of instability at all levels for employment. While change is necessary, the company continually has laid off workers at all levels

Advice to Management

Work to rebuild a sense of pride and stability in the organization. Top talent at all levels is leaving the company for this very reason. Recognize the level of talent you have working within the company.

Best Buy2014-09-01
  4. "An amazingly positive experience"

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people and a great culture

Cons

Downsizing will continue to be necessary

Advice to Management

Can't cost cut to profitability.

Best Buy2014-08-28
  5. "No loyalty"

Current Employee - Director Service Operations in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Money is OK, hours are long

Cons

No Loyalty, no regard to its employees

Advice to Management

Stop letting all your talent walk out the door

Best Buy2014-09-26
  6. "Too many restructures"

Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employee Discount, opportunity to interact with the newest technology on the market.

Cons

Constantly changing management structure. Lost position 2x in 1 year. Too much stress not knowing if you will have a job in 6 months.

Advice to Management

Be stable for at least 12-24 months to allow for those in role to make an impact.

Best Buy2014-08-30

"New culture; attempting to rebound; new realities of industry and economy; loss of many good leaders."

Current Employee - Director in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We have a history of overcoming adversity. New management is intelligent and has calmed Wall Street. However, our plan is still not cohesive or necessarily "strong". It also seems to be highly dependent upon our primary, large competitors not creating a similar plan with greater efficiencies and cost-effectiveness - In other words, there is a better than average chance that they will do it better than we will.

Cons

Once a deep, energized, positive culture is now a feeling of simply "having a job"; many people spend time worrying about the stability of the company and/or their jobs. They also spend time brushing up on their LinkedIn profiles and job-board sites (like I am doing as I type this). There is far too much work (staying competitive has created "new"/additional work), but we have fewer people at corporate and in our... store roles to accomplish that work with excellence. Often, it's not accomplished at all.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to form a new culture - "any" type of culture, because people will not stay with or follow a company they don't feel an emotional connection to - as we once ALL did at Best Buy. Also, we need to find ways to advance high-quality, intelligent leaders who have been waiting for opportunities, vs. always going outside for upper / senior management.

Best Buy2014-08-11
  8. "Great company to learn new things in the past but focus has changed and is very challenging at this time."

Current Employee - Director Operations in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits and pay. Overall good, Recent economic developments are causing Best Buy to change the former culture.

Cons

Culture is changing that is non productive. The company is chasing different areas of the business and is more focused on short term results than long term customer growth.

Advice to Management

Development needs to be more than a buzz word. Need to actually do it. Stop changing the focus every time a goal is missed. Stay the course and focus on consistency rather than one time results.

Best Buy2014-08-05
  9. "Great People, Changing Culture"

Former Employee - Director in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Always changing, customer focused, great people to work with, Great products to work with and learn about

Cons

Look to short term fixes vs. trying to solve the long term problem, no one feels comfortable work across teams to produce better results because everyone is trying to prove their value to leadership

Advice to Management

Need to focus on the changing market and invest in those areas

Best Buy2014-05-27

"BBY Corporate - Fear, Disrespect, layoffs weekly, Leaders don’t live the values"

Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The campus is amazing, well designed and convenient. Direct managers were supportive. Finally developing a strategy (barely) Finally less than 30 strategic priorities and they make more sense Attempting to create a sustainable business model Developing more structure

Cons

No training and development. Sr. leaders are unbealivably disrespectful and have created an environment of fear where no one feels comfortable being honest. New leaders have no idea how the work gets done and they don’t care Work you like a dog and treat employees like machines. Senior leaders (VPs+) assume all employees are idiots and are not interested in know why things or results are they way the are. ... More interested in hitting dates on projects and initiatives versus delivering quality for the customer/client. Termination Tuesday is getting old Diversity is terrible and at times environment hostile. Leaders care more about decks and formatting more than content.

Advice to Management

Leaders should live the values and treat people with respect. Leadership must address morale. Specifically corporate. Develop a sustainable strategy and operating model. Executive leadership should take time to listen to their teams. Demands are unrealistic and the results demonstrate that. Technology investments are behind the times.

Best Buy2014-05-14