Best Buy Project manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for project manager

Best Buy Project Manager Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2019

2.3
Best Buy CEO Corie Barry (no image)
Corie Barry
  1. "Fun environment but with constant change"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great collaborative environment. Compensation was above average.

Cons

Constant org changes and bureaucratic. Lack of a good on-boarding process. (It took me weeks to get a working e-mail address). Routine layoffs.

Advice to Management

When I was there, it was a very silo'd organization. Sr. Management needs alignment with each other before executing organizational wide initiatives. This would avoid a lot of spin / churn within working groups during the process.

Best Buy2014-08-05
  2. "16 Years at Best Buy and loved every year there"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people there were always wanting to do the best for the company. We worked long hours and everyone in our team was compassionate about completing the project on time. I would work with the team at Best Buy and know that they are all extremely dedicated to the project.

Cons

As with any large companies, there are a lot of approvals that need to take place prior to projects being completed.

Best Buy2014-05-14

"NA"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Centrally located. Nice work environment.

Cons

Lay offs. Flip flop between insourcing and outsourcing

Best Buy2014-04-21

"A frenzy every day"

Former Employee - ECommerce Project Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exciting, desired employer, great online retailer, moves quickly to respond to the marketplace

Cons

With the new CEO, Hubert Jolly, taking the reigns, the name dropping started - Hubert is very hands on, and we had to run emergency, frenzied campaigns, simply because "Hubert wants..." Not very planful.

Advice to Management

Don't just pull the trigger - give some thought to what you are asking and do a little more analysis up front. Just because Wal Mart is offering a compelling promo today, try a different approach next week, doing reaction after reaction doesn't bode well to a planful marketing approach.

Best Buy2014-04-15

"Great people, struggling business"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great coworkers, always motivated to do better. -Work-life balance was second to none.

Cons

-Never felt like the company really knew where it was headed. -Unless you were a merchant/buyer, career opportunities seemed few and far between

Advice to Management

Define goals better, communicate them throughout the organization. Let your employees come up with solutions and support them.

Best Buy2013-05-27
  6. "Best Buy"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great flexible work environment even after ROWE removed. Like onsite gym, dry cleaning, day care and the culture.

Cons

Not sure of the longevity of the company.

Best Buy2013-06-01

"Challenging, rewarding and fun"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am never bored. There's always work to get done. I enjoy the people and the culture of the company. I have worked for another large company (150k+ employees) and a small company (~1.5k employees) and working for Best Buy, by far, has been the greatest experience.

Cons

Current state of the business makes it difficult to feel secure in my position. Best Buy also lacks discipline in terms of staying focused on the work that's critical to the business. There are many work groups running around with their heads cut off and from my vantage point, most of the time, the work is not going to help the company with their challenges.

Advice to Management

Get focused. Learn to lay out priorities and objectives/goals for your employees. Reduce the layers in management and the executive team. Directors should have a minimum of 5 employees. There's no reason any director shouldn't have a real "team" of people working for them. A good leader knows how to take a team and delegate responsibilities appropriately.

Best Buy2013-02-11

"Lack talent but great for flexibility"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open culture that allows employees to work remotely whenever desired Good case study or those want to learn from 'mistakes big companies make' Depending on where you work, your ideas can be taken into account. Some areas provide a fulfilling atmosphere

Cons

Generally lacks genuine talent Lots reactionary direction from multiple business teams As many employees there are, that genuinely think about the customer...there's even more employees that just don't seem to care. Pressure of reaching those goals often blind them.

Advice to Management

Lots of good moves taking place obviously...which will take sometime to play out. There is firstly the consumer sentiment towards Best Buy that needs to be changed...but I think the new leadership is successfully moving towards that. The real hindrance to the company's progress is the mindset of a majority of the employees. Most seem too cushy at what they do, without any motivation to be creative. The current... technology infrastructure is a good example of remaining in this old fashioned model. The marketing department in general lacks planning and common sense. Resources are just being wasted and tapped out with reactionary changes. Leaves them too tired or annoyed to add value through new ideas. Best Buy needs innovation. You'll strike that quicker the army of employees can encouraged to move in that direction instead of being someone who just follows direction from a marketing department that understands nothing about quality.

Best Buy2012-11-27

"A company stuck with old management with old ideas"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall, the company is fun to work for, they have a wonderful benefit package, fair perks, and a pretty solid 401k match. Generally, the environment is enjoyable and people are friendly.

Cons

I would say that the overall direction of the company as of late is downward. Middle management in the company is preventing any sort of growth, and the annual restructure limits it even further by temporarily displacing people and then relocating them to lateral level positions, new responsibilities and new employees. This constant state of change allows people in middle-upper management to stay busy until the... next restructure, while not enabling growth for the company. You will find yourself satisfied with the current, but with little prospect for future development because of the companies inability to let go of old, no longer performing talent.

Advice to Management

Stagnant district and territory level positions should be a sign of a problem. Consistently moving people around and not permanently displacing them for lack of performance does not resolve problems. Giving unattainable goals to our shareholders is also problematic seemingly every time we release quarterly earnings. Publicly issues goals should be attainable, and not missed on the average by more than ten percent..., it leads the public and shareholders to think that the end really is near.

Best Buy2012-09-04

"Way behind the times in software development, marketing trends"

IT Project Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

On-site fitness center, excellent company cafeteria with healthy foods, cool architecture and landscaping at HQ.

Cons

Many software projects are led by Best Buy employees who have zero software knowledge or experience, and this leads to incompetent decisions and frustration for people who actually know what they are doing. Their marketing is also archaic, and even though many of the employees think they have "innovative" ideas, if they would just do a few minutes of research on Google, they'd find out that they're actually doing... things that savvy competitors did about 10 years ago!!

Advice to Management

Ask yourself if you can really survive without strong online sales. If the answer is "no", hire people from Silicon Valley to bring your web site into the 21st century. And I don't mean 1-2 consultants, I mean outsource the entire thing to somebody very, very good. Yes, it will be a financial investment, but it certainly is paying off for places like Amazon.com.

Best Buy2010-07-14