Best Buy Project manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Best Buy Project Manager Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2019

Found 26 reviews

2.3
Best Buy CEO Corie Barry (no image)
Corie Barry

"Business Project Manager at Best Buy"

Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Corporate Best Buy offers a challenging, fast paced work environment with very high expectations. Requires one to be highly collaborative and team oriented while still maintaining a strong sense of self and high singular achievement. Its strength based orientation is very refreshing and encourages you to build upon your passions.

Cons

Some of the downsides are the same as the upsides. All the collaboration and team work creates an environment lacking in decision making. The buck doesn't make enough stops so decisions are often prolonged or never made. The company is very young and as a result folks feel the doors close for them very early on.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed the work I did at BBY, but I also enjoyed the development opportunities - the speakers, the volunteerism, WOLF, and the ability to use time to network and learn about myself and others.

Best Buy2009-10-16
  2. "Best Buy is a great place to work!"

Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The team synergy at Best Buy is second to none. The core management group has always focused on team wins and contributions. Many life long friends have come from co-workers at Best Buy. The strategies of top leaders have evolved over the years to put the highest regard to the employees that are closest to the end user, the customer. All efforts from a support standpoint have been geared to support this... philosophy. The last few years have truly been dedicated to segmenting the different customers that shop at Best Buy and finding the best way possible to meet each and everyone of their individual needs. Being an employee at Best Buy has always been very rewarding in all aspects.

Cons

The pace at times can be so fast that it is difficult to assess how you are doing.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive hard but don't minimize the feedback loops to stay close to the field employees.

Best Buy2009-01-19

"Great place to work! Some inequities in hiring/ promotions."

Project Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

ROWE, Strengths Based Organization, Allowed to be myself. My work style is accepted.

Cons

No career paths. It is a meritocracy, but it is also a relationship based company. If you don't know someone, not sure where merit fits in.

Advice to Management

I love the idea of a meritocracy, but the playing field is NOT level. If promotions are on a who you know basis, then by default promotions are not fair. Most jobs have a "strongly preferred candidate" I have heard people ask in interviews.. "who do you know?, vs. "What have you done?" or "what would you like to do?" This sounds pretty negative, but if BBY can figure this out, it truly would be the PERFECT... place to work.

Best Buy2008-08-10

"Innovative but a lot duplicate efforts"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the innovation and creativity and feel like anything is possible. Also feels like a Flat management workplace.

Cons

Duplicate efforts in many projects and sometimes too much money in spent in areas where it doesn't bring much benefit or revenue to the business!

Best Buy2012-05-29
  5. "Great Experience"

Project Manager

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

- Great staff - Fun work environment - Pay is competitive

Cons

I got this job while I was still in college, and they had me driving to a local store, and then to one that was about an hour away. I did all of my work in the mornings (5:30am) so I would have to wake up at an ungodly hour to get there. They also had some rule where they won't have to compensate you for gas if your house is with 60 miles of the store or something... Thats was the only bad part about the job/

Best Buy2011-03-28

"They do weird things"

Project Manager

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Flexible schedules are very good in certain areas

Cons

No clear career paths its difficult to reach management level

Advice to Management

Should work on career development

Best Buy2010-11-22