Best Version Media Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer David Durand
David Durand

Pros
  • there was no question that I would jump at the opportunity of getting to work for Best Version Media (in 49 reviews)

• Working with Best Version Media to publish 2 local magazines has been the most rewarding work I have ever done (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Best Version media is a glorified advertising /sales company (in 11 reviews)

• If you don't mind being in control of your own destiny and you can somehow make-it financially for 6 months or so then there are no cons (in 14 reviews)

1. "Freedom to Build a Business and Make the Income You Deserve"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture. Incredible business model. Constant and consistent coaching/support, so you are not left alone. FREEDOM to earn what you want to earn. Proven program.

Cons

You have to do the work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

2. "Good part-time job"

Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Version Media part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could choose my own hours as long as I still met my deadline. I loved interviewing and writing. I was always paid on time, and the training was good.

The pay was average. There were no benefits, but I didn't need those since this was a side job.

Cons

I didn't love that the type of writing was focused on more affluent families, and the style was supposed to be upbeat and not controversial. That isn't very much fun. :)

"Great Corporate Culture. Excellent Training Program. Solid Management"

Current Employee - Publisher in Lakeway, TX
    Current Employee - Publisher in Lakeway, TX

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working with BVM as a magazine publisher since June 2016. I have been very impressed with the corporate culture, the compensation structure and the initial and ongoing training programs. As a busy community member and mom, this position gives me the flexibility to live a full, well-rounded life as well as pursue my passions of assisting businesswomen, growing businesses and connecting & empowering community businesses. BVM gives me the autonomy in my career to grow my business and shape it into something that fits my community and my lifestyle. They are helpful, accessible and open to new ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit. I am loving publishing my own magazine, growing my business, helping grow the businesses in my community, and producing a fun, informative magazine for my neighbors. The feedback to my new venture from the neighbors and businesses has been wholly positive and I look forward to many fun-filled productive years to come.

Cons

I'll let you know. So far, so good. :)

Advice to Management

So far in my first 8 months, I am very impressed with the company, the culture, and the employees --- from staff, to sales, to training, to middle management, to senior mgmt. I'll check back in at the one year point and let you know if my opinions have changed or remained the same.

"Bad business model"

Pros

They're nice people, at least by phone. Take the time to analyzed your options they will answer all your questions.

Cons

They have a very bad business model with no metrics, track, data base or anything that is required for a sales position.

Best Version Media Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Director

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Regrettably, it appears that the publisher opportunity and BVM as a company were not fully understood as our business model, metrics, and data base ... More

"Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Best Version Media is in itself a reason to want to work here, but it goes way beyond that. I come to work every single day so excited because I love my job and all of the people I work with. I didn't think that there was a job like this out there for me, especially being newly out of college. I cannot think of any other company that I'd rather work for.

Cons

I have no complaints!

"Best Version Media"

Pros

It pays the bills?

Cons

Best Version media is a glorified advertising /sales company. All of its employees are very fake. They only hire Catholics to work at their home office. BVM actually stands for Blessed Virgin Mary. Unless you're prepared to kiss butt and act completely fake don't waste your time with the company. It's more like a cult than anything.

Best Version Media Response

Mar 7, 2017 – Director

The claims made in this review about the employees of Best Version Media and the company itself are categorically untrue and slanderous.

"Culture Trumps Everything"

Current Employee - Publisher in Dennis, MA
    Current Employee - Publisher in Dennis, MA

Pros

The company promotes all of us to become the best version of ourselves in order to succeed. That is exemplified throughout the structure and people involved.

Cons

There are really none to speak of

Advice to Management

Continued small incentives before going to print would be a life saver. Having more of a cushion before actually meeting baseline would be a huge asset to new publishers.

"Genius company and business model, outstanding people and culture"

Current Employee - Publisher
    Current Employee - Publisher

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could write a book on how I think this is the most genius company and business model of all time. You get to run your own business, with free inventory, unlimited income potential and endless help and support, and the only investment you make is time. I attended training because I thought that the micro-targeted social media in print model was brilliant and that producing a neighborhood publication would be really cool, but was skeptical at first, thinking the opportunity had to be too good to be true. Seven months later, I am watching as the marketing campaigns begin to take off for businesses who signed up in my first magazine, which is now on issue #5. These magazines work like magic- the social media in print is an idea that is deceptively simple and serves a real need local businesses have. Also, you get to spend your time getting to know the most fascinating people in your community, be creative with content ideas, collaborate with residents on stories, and all kinds of other fun and exciting stuff. This is my first experience in sales, and I can't imagine selling something that I wasn't crazy about. It is such a privilege to get to represent a company and product I have total conviction in. This is the greatest job in the world if you are curious, energetic, resilient, a good explainer, organized, motivated, and have always dreamed of setting your own professional goals rather than be limited in a role working for someone else.

Cons

This job isn't for everyone- you have to be tough enough to power through those first few months to get to print and build your income, highly motivated, confident enough to hear no without taking it to heart, and educating yourself constantly. But for the right type of person, there are literally zero cons to this job besides the few months of building your income (and yes- it does take the full time commitment). I'm still in amazement that this is a real opportunity. I realize my review sounds extremely over the top positive- but it is because BVM really is that wonderful.

Advice to Management

I love everything about the way BVM is run and our company culture. The people at BVM are incredible and I feel very lucky to get to work with everyone here. Thank you for being so awesome!

"Not sure what to make of them"

Former Employee - Associate Publisher in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Publisher in Ontario, CA

I worked at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was only with Best Version Media for a short time. I traveled to the west end of the city for a day-long (or possibly two days I can't remember) orientation and sales training. (In an aside: One thing I'll say about that is i remember they didn't serve any food and I was starving the whole time.) The trainers and senior execs were very nice, very motivated and very supportive which I enjoyed.

Ultimately though I don't want to be a sales person - even though I'm very friendly and love meeting people. When I did attempt to make sales for the potential magazine, clients were initially interested but seemed turned off when they learned about the cost and parameters. Again, I only did this for a short time before taking on a full-time role with another organization.

Cons

See above. If you love doing sales and/or have experience in that field, it could be of interest.

Advice to Management

While everyone was very friendly and approachable, I'd be 100% upfront about what the publisher job entails. For me, I was more interested in producing a high-quality magazine with excellent content and graphics as opposed to selling ads.

"publisher"

Current Employee - Associate Publisher in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Publisher in Hopewell Junction, NY

Pros

Great opportunity to earn what you are really worth. You must be self-motivated in regard to actually working as your basically your own boss. Absolutely great coaching and motivational talks to help you be the best you can be. This is in regard to being the best you can be at this job, as well as being the best you can be in your personal life. I didn't even know that this type of working environment existed until I came onboard here. BVM has great product that is unique in most markets, and absolutely great ownership and management. And your co-worker are also very friendly, professional and try to be helpful.

Cons

The only con is that it takes you a while to get into a profitable position. It can be long or short depending upon how hard you work and how good you are at selling & learning how to sell (if you don't already have that skill). One person has done it in as little as nine days. She was good and she hustled. The company gives you everything you need to learn the Art of Selling. Selling is definitely something that can be learned and something everyone already does in one way or another. The training to make you a great salesperson is available at BVM! And if you're a good salesperson that works hard, you can make more money than a physician does. The opportunity is there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work