Best Version Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I started my career with Best Version Media about a year ago today (in 55 reviews)

• Heading into my fourth year with Best Version Media (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Best Version media is a glorified advertising /sales company (in 12 reviews)

• No cons except you should have some income to live off of for at least three months as you work on getting commitments to get you to print (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best decision I ever made was coming on board with Best Version Media as a publisher!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH
    Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited income and growth potential.
    World class training and support.
    Non-profit heart in a for-profit company
    Management truly cares about each and every employee and does everything in their power to help you succeed!
    The home office support staff is AMAZING! They always have our back and support us 24/7!

Cons

Personally, I have none. But as always, not everyone is a fit for every job, here or anywhere else. If you are going to be a Publisher, you must be a self-starter and have drive, but if you trust the program and avail yourself to the resources management provides, you will succeed! They will give you all the tools, knowledge and support to succeed but ultimately YOU have to do the work.
    Is that a con? I don't think so.

2. "Division Manager Michigan"

Current Employee - Division Manager in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Division Manager in Holland, MI

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome culture with great leaders who provide you with support and awareness of how to become a better version of yourself everyday. Great income opportunities and autonomy. I love my job.

Cons

If your not a motivated person who can follow a program that is proven then this is not a good fit. You have to have a higher why to be successful at this.

Advice to Management

Keep up everything your doing.

3. "Best Company on Earth that I am aware of"

Current Employee - Publisher in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Publisher in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BVM is an open door providing endless potential opportunities to help businesses and executive level resident work together. I am not a top publisher in the company but hope to be some day. I do admire our CEO, Dave Durand, as much or more than anyone on earth. He inspires us to achieve in ways never before possible. He knows what people think and how they will act even better than they do themselves at times it seems. I have never met anyone like him before. In a room filled with people it is hard to speak to him as everyone gets so excited just being around him it is hard to get a word in. He is a phenomena in and of himself.

Cons

The negatives of working here exist ONLY within us, programed from birth. We are shown how to look at ourselves to eliminate barriers we self-generate. Our CEO has a goal to help us become greater than he is. That is the sign of a true leader. He gives us the wings of opportunity and it is up to us to learn to use them.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all you do! No one does it better.

4. "Dream job"

Current Employee - Associate Publisher in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Publisher in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dream job just starting my experience with best version media and I can tell it is by far the best company I ever thought about working for. Full autonomy great culture great leaders meaningful job

Cons

If you're not the entrepreneurial type of person this may not be for you because the biggest obstacle will be yourself. this company will test you to your limits to become the best version of yourself

5. "Publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher in Cass Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Publisher in Cass Lake, MN

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Complete Independent Autonomy and an incredible support staff. The business model is quite successful and transparent.

Cons

It can be difficult to to transition out of mainstream salary based positions into this build your own commission position. However, the long term benefits to your community and business are extremely viable.

Advice to Management

You are really the best. Keep it up.

"One of the Best Vehicles for Financial Freedom"

Current Employee - Publisher in Newport, NH
    Current Employee - Publisher in Newport, NH

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Culture, Organization, and Product

Cons

The cons are really with ones self. You must be willing to follow the program and put the time in on a consistent basis. Slackers are not rewarded. This is not really a con but I think the point is clear.

Advice to Management

I love the support team.

"Account Executive"

Pros

Ability to create your own schedule of appointments to see customers. Great customers. Great coworkers!! Office is downtown PA close to shops & restaurants.

Cons

Very shady . Publisher miscalculations of commission is common. Office manager keeps 90% of leads that come in. Computers are old and outdated. Unable to update Google Chrome since 2012 because system is outdated! Desks are plastic picnic tables ! No fridge and Editor has banned food in the office! They are misleading their advertisers by stating they are distributing 20,000 papers each day when they are only distributing approximately 11,000. The paper is loosing ground and I predict will be out of business in the next five years.

Advice to Management

The Daily POST

Best Version Media Response

Sep 14, 2017 – General Counsel

This person has to be mistaken in writing this review for BVM. BVM does not have offices in Pennsylvania with plastic chairs, we don't have plastic picnic table desks, we don't have an "Editor," and... More

8. "publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Publisher in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Best Version Media part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with immense support and opportunity. The residuals are fantastic and with the commission schedule as high as it is, they cannot be beat.

Cons

Tough in the beginning before print, but well worth it after that. This is not for a slacker, so if you don't have the self discipline to succeed... get better!

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to improve without re-inventing the wheel.

"They break their own training guidelines."

Former Employee - Associate Publisher in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Publisher in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Best Version Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything seems legit, at first. There was nothing bad, at first.

Cons

BVM rolls out the information (to new publishers) in a way that hides information. Specifically, they say that their private magazines are for small neighborhoods, and that is true about the sample magazines.

However, when you see a non-sample magazine, the cover is very very misleading. It says "Exclusively serving citya, cityb, cityc, largeneighborhood1, largeneighborhood2, etc." This is a huge area, over 10 square miles. This is totally against the business model.

The business model is small neighborhood magazines, mailed to just that neighborhood's homes. The sample magazines are all like that, the ones they show you in training. When I saw this other magazine, it was shocking after the training.

Dave Durand says, repeatedly, "bend your experience to the business model", yet, they are doing the opposite, in practice. The sad part is I asked the CEO directly about this and he gave me the authoritarian response, basically "mind your own business". It is doubtful people realize what is happening until after they sell a lot of ads for this company and get it "to print", so it is very scammy for them to do this.

The concept of the company seems so good, manipulation like this seems unnecessary, except for greed. And then there are the religious references by Dave, to his religion, dropped during training, probably to build trust. I was taken in by how legitimate the company appears, only to find out later that they are manipulative, they are doing things that are 180 degrees different than what they say in training.

It is doubtful that a "neighborhood" magazine that has all these cities listed will be read by that neighborhood. I doubt the magazine is getting read because it appears not to be a private magazine, which is the excuse for not showing the magazine when selling ads. When a potential ad buyer wants to see the ad, they can't because its a private magazine for the neighbors. However, the magazine's cover says it serves over 10 square miles, so it could not possibly be a private, neighborhood magazine. This blaring inconsistency is one the CEO, Dave Durand is fine with, I asked him directly and he basically said, "mind your own business".

They asked us to protect the culture. When I hear that, I hear "protect the mission statement, the business model." What BVM means is "protect us". When I hear "bend your experience to the model", which business model? The stated one or the one that is 180 degrees different (the hidden aspects of their business practices).

Perhaps I do not understand the advertising industry. Perhaps this is what it takes for make money. But I doubt it. The company could do very well by doing what they say they do. Perhaps this is greed, on top of a sound, less profitable business model. Why not have an honest, profitable business instead of putting on the layer of greed? Deception seems unnecessary if you have a good business model.

Advice to Management

you have a good business model. manipulation, authoritarianism and deceit should not be necessary. why not stop it and try 100% zero manipulation, authoritarianism and deceit, ZERO. Why not try being 100% totally honest and transparent? Why not try? maybe it will actually help your company to do it right.

Best Version Media Response

Sep 8, 2017 – COO

This review is false and dishonest in every way and here’s why: I’m reading the emails between this reviewer and our CEO, Dave Durand. I’m going to post those actual emails with her name redacted to... More

"Publisher and Divsion Manager"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time

Pros

Hands down the best training, coaching and mentoring I have ever experienced. Being a publisher allows me the opportunity to produce a substantial income and flexibility to be at every one of the kids school and sporting events. We have a family first culture and that is very important to me. Being a Division Manager allows me to coach and mentor others to succeed at publishing their own magazine and that is more rewarding than anything else.

Cons

You need to sustain yourself for a few weeks without pay. You need to be able to stick to a schedule and a plan to get the important things done first!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing training and coaching!