Best Version Media Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer David Durand
David Durand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Best Version Media is truly the best" (in 65 reviews)

• "The culture at Best Version Media is something that I have never experienced in my 17 year media career" (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "I definitely plan on making a career with Best Version Media" (in 16 reviews)

• "No cons except you should have some income to live off of for at least three months as you work on getting commitments to get you to print" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best decision I ever made was coming on board with Best Version Media as a publisher!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH
    Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited income and growth potential.
    World class training and support.
    Non-profit heart in a for-profit company
    Management truly cares about each and every employee and does everything in their power to help you succeed!
    The home office support staff is AMAZING! They always have our back and support us 24/7!

Cons

Personally, I have none. But as always, not everyone is a fit for every job, here or anywhere else. If you are going to be a Publisher, you must be a self-starter and have drive, but if you trust the program and avail yourself to the resources management provides, you will succeed! They will give you all the tools, knowledge and support to succeed but ultimately YOU have to do the work.
    Is that a con? I don't think so.

2. "Amazing company to work for"

I worked at Best Version Media full-time

Pros

Great culture that starts at the top
    Leadership is incredible
    Everyone has a voice--if you have an idea, it's heard
    Growing company

Cons

General cons of a quickly-growing company. They maintain the family feeling but it can be intimidating having new faces coming in all the time

3. "Publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher in North Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Publisher in North Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a local publisher for Best Version Media is both very rewarding monetarily and emotionally. The residents that get my magazine LOVE it! I really appreciate the flexibility this position gives me. This is the first time in my career that I feel like I have a lot of work/life balance. Wish I had found BVM 5 years ago. Just referred a close friend and she is doing great.

Cons

You have to be willing to make phone calls to schedule appointments with local business owners in order to give our presentation. My plan is to ultimately hire an appointment setter to help me with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing :) Thank you for the opportunity. I REALLY appreciate it.

4. "Publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Publisher in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It gives great flexibility, autonomy, and a great income opportunity

Cons

You have to be willing to put in the work to succeed.

5. "Sound business model and great compensation"

Current Employee - Publisher and Market Manager in Ooltewah, TN
    Current Employee - Publisher and Market Manager in Ooltewah, TN

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for entrepreneurial, go-getters who desire to be the very best they can be in a very honest and ethical organization.

Cons

Not suitable for those looking for easy money, or lack the drive and tenacity required.

Advice to Management

Don't stop improving the experience, the support, the unparalleled professional headquarters team and the camaraderie of like-minded people who help one another willingly.

"Best Opportunity Out There"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summerville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summerville, SC

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BVM is an awesome opportunity for a person with great work ethic, who is responsible, disciplined, resilient, can work independently and enjoys the ability to have unlimited income and flexibility in their daily schedule.

Cons

If you are a "punch the clock" kind of person who is uncomfortable making cold calls, do not take this job. It only works if you do.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing all that you are.

"The BEST Company and People I Have Ever Worked With!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Publisher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The freedom to own your own business and work your own schedule. Great people who offer unlimited guidance and direction. I have never been more content working anywhere else!

Cons

No base pay or benefits.

"Put up with NO all day long, and have 4+ mo of $ avail to survive the startup"

I worked at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the leadership on the ground is MOSTLY very good people with huge sales leadership careers who know what they are talking about. They want very much for all to succeed, and are very clear in the risks and amount of work and number of NOs you'll get (all very high), that it's an attitude game, a numbers game, so" just don't give up".
    There is no initial investment to start other than going to a training location overnight.
    Some people have found success with this model, and turned their lives around.

Cons

This is a job, regardless of their statements that you're "independent". Yes, you get to open a business and have those benefits; but the magazines you build are THEIRS, not yours. Your pay comes as commission on ad sales, and you'll have to literally work your ___ off to get those. This model is not new, and, in the eyes of the business owners you'll pitch, is as suspicious as anything else touted as better than the competition. It's a classic One Call Close. Get them to signTODAY, or you lose. Your failings in getting sales will be attributed to an imperfect presentation and/or the nature of the market, so hey, 'just move on, find more leads'. Constant 'training' for the presentation, which means top publishers talking on the conf calls telling their 'secrets' for closing, and endless repetition of the Boss' video pitch. They don't tell you that closing takes very, very aggressive pricing, discounting, and even making side deals with some prospects to get them to sign. And once they buy, the customers will gripe about why the ad isn't pulling, it's so expensive, etc. Training is crammed into a day, with assurances that you'll get unlimited support at home/online/company site/videos, etc. Again, some is valuable, some is not. Getting help is repetitive info from different people, which is the best they can do. You'll get literally constant reminders of publisher XYZ that went to print in 8 days, he's a genius; "she's made $500K in sales this year so far, be like her" You'll hear many success stories of those that struggled, didn't give up and made it big, became section leaders, made a zillion$. You won't hear that MOST publishers struggle, most gripe among themselves about the systems and don't really 100% use the methods laid out in training. And that many quit because they can't take the pure, hard sales environment. They cannot play the role of relentless closer to get the deal, nor can they 'not take it personally'. Company close rate is established at 20%. I have had a 15 year sales career and mine was 2%.I was told 'you're so close, you're so close', just tweak it here, there, try this little phrase''. obviously, this isn't for me.

Advice to Management

You don't need my advice, your planned systems and metrics are working for you. You have a method and you are able to grow and prosper using the very hard work of the publishers you hire. You know exactly the percentages of a given crop of new publishers that will rocket to success, those that will work hard and make average money, and those that will wash out.

Best Version Media Response

Jun 6, 2018 – Media & Communications Manager

The BVM opportunity comes with one of the most generous commission structures that you will find anywhere. It has enormous potential for those who are up to the challenge. We want our people to... More

"Publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher in Haddonfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Publisher in Haddonfield, NJ

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a lifelong business owner who called all the shots and had all the responsibility, I wanted to transition to something less demanding, but which would still allow me to generate the income I wanted and to work with autonomy and support, flexibility, a good work-life balance, where I could set my own goals and work without micro-management. It was a tall order and BVM has exceeded my expectations on all fronts. The program is excellent -- and the support from everyone from the top down is rock solid . After almost three years with the company I find new reasons every day why this was the best decision I could have made. Even my friends and family who were skeptical at first, now see what I've accomplished and how positive I continue to be about BVM, and are admitting they were wrong to doubt my decision at first.

Cons

For people who haven't worked independently, this is a paradigm shift. You are effectively running your own business. But you don't have to invent the wheel. And you have an entire support staff behind you every step of the way. There is no monetary investment to launch, but there's also no paycheck. The time it takes to generate that first check is variable, depending on your efforts. It's worth the time and challenge - and management is there to guide you to success every step of the way.

Advice to Management

Stick with the program . It works!

"Great Work-Life Balance & Culture"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I look forward to my work with BVM every day. From the great people I get to work alongside, to the challenging but rewarding tasks I perform, I can honestly say I love what I do! We work with wonderful writers and Publishers all over the country to help bring people together through uplifting, interesting and high-quality content, and the company culture certainly leads by example. If you have a chance to work with us or read one of our magazines, you won't regret it.

Cons

I really do not have any cons to report.