Best Version Media Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer David Durand
David Durand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Best Version Media is truly the best" (in 66 reviews)

• "The culture at Best Version Media is something that I have never experienced in my 17 year media career" (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "I definitely plan on making a career with Best Version Media" (in 17 reviews)

• "No cons except you should have some income to live off of for at least three months as you work on getting commitments to get you to print" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best decision I ever made was coming on board with Best Version Media as a publisher!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH
    Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited income and growth potential.
    World class training and support.
    Non-profit heart in a for-profit company
    Management truly cares about each and every employee and does everything in their power to help you succeed!
    The home office support staff is AMAZING! They always have our back and support us 24/7!

Cons

Personally, I have none. But as always, not everyone is a fit for every job, here or anywhere else. If you are going to be a Publisher, you must be a self-starter and have drive, but if you trust the program and avail yourself to the resources management provides, you will succeed! They will give you all the tools, knowledge and support to succeed but ultimately YOU have to do the work.
    Is that a con? I don't think so.

2. "Publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Publisher in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Version Media part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture
    Great Support
    Great Community building opportunity
    Great income

Cons

I have never experienced a con with BVM. I have only positive things to say - BVM is a solutions-based company that promotes growing and learning. I get great support!

Advice to Management

Thank you for a great program! Your program is top notch and the most positive culture I have every worked in! It also provides the best opportunity to get compensated for personal investment! Thank you!

3. "Great culture, phenomenal support system."

Current Employee - Publisher in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Publisher in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the training and guidance you need to create a successful career.

Cons

Must be self-motivated. Your success depends on it. You will work hard.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path toward excellence!

Current Employee - Publisher in Haddonfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Publisher in Haddonfield, NJ

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding opportunity to work independent with a great support network and full "staff"

Cons

It can be difficult in the beginning as this is a 1099 position with no compensation upfront. So interested applicants should be prepared to cover their living expenses for a few months. Depending on your effort, as in any position, you can advance to a solid 5 or even 6 figure income with the full support of the company EVERY step of the way

Advice to Management

Be clear in solicitations and outreach that this is a 1099 sales position, while reassuring applicants that they will receive full training and support.

5. "Content Coordinator"

I have been working at Best Version Media part-time

Pros

You get to work from home.

Cons

You never know when the first proof of the issue will be sent.

Current Employee - Publisher in North Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Publisher in North Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a local publisher for Best Version Media is both very rewarding monetarily and emotionally. The residents that get my magazine LOVE it! I really appreciate the flexibility this position gives me. This is the first time in my career that I feel like I have a lot of work/life balance. Wish I had found BVM 5 years ago. Just referred a close friend and she is doing great.

Cons

You have to be willing to make phone calls to schedule appointments with local business owners in order to give our presentation. My plan is to ultimately hire an appointment setter to help me with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing :) Thank you for the opportunity. I REALLY appreciate it.

"Amazing company to work for"

I worked at Best Version Media full-time

Pros

Great culture that starts at the top
    Leadership is incredible
    Everyone has a voice--if you have an idea, it's heard
    Growing company

Cons

General cons of a quickly-growing company. They maintain the family feeling but it can be intimidating having new faces coming in all the time

Current Employee - Publisher in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Publisher in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It gives great flexibility, autonomy, and a great income opportunity

Cons

You have to be willing to put in the work to succeed.

"Best Opportunity Out There"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summerville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summerville, SC

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BVM is an awesome opportunity for a person with great work ethic, who is responsible, disciplined, resilient, can work independently and enjoys the ability to have unlimited income and flexibility in their daily schedule.

Cons

If you are a "punch the clock" kind of person who is uncomfortable making cold calls, do not take this job. It only works if you do.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing all that you are.

"Put up with NO all day long, and have 4+ mo of $ avail to survive the startup"

I worked at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the leadership on the ground is MOSTLY very good people with huge sales leadership careers who know what they are talking about. They want very much for all to succeed, and are very clear in the risks and amount of work and number of NOs you'll get (all very high), that it's an attitude game, a numbers game, so" just don't give up".
    There is no initial investment to start other than going to a training location overnight.
    Some people have found success with this model, and turned their lives around.

Cons

This is a job, regardless of their statements that you're "independent". Yes, you get to open a business and have those benefits; but the magazines you build are THEIRS, not yours. Your pay comes as commission on ad sales, and you'll have to literally work your ___ off to get those. This model is not new, and, in the eyes of the business owners you'll pitch, is as suspicious as anything else touted as better than the competition. It's a classic One Call Close. Get them to signTODAY, or you lose. Your failings in getting sales will be attributed to an imperfect presentation and/or the nature of the market, so hey, 'just move on, find more leads'. Constant 'training' for the presentation, which means top publishers talking on the conf calls telling their 'secrets' for closing, and endless repetition of the Boss' video pitch. They don't tell you that closing takes very, very aggressive pricing, discounting, and even making side deals with some prospects to get them to sign. And once they buy, the customers will gripe about why the ad isn't pulling, it's so expensive, etc. Training is crammed into a day, with assurances that you'll get unlimited support at home/online/company site/videos, etc. Again, some is valuable, some is not. Getting help is repetitive info from different people, which is the best they can do. You'll get literally constant reminders of publisher XYZ that went to print in 8 days, he's a genius; "she's made $500K in sales this year so far, be like her" You'll hear many success stories of those that struggled, didn't give up and made it big, became section leaders, made a zillion$. You won't hear that MOST publishers struggle, most gripe among themselves about the systems and don't really 100% use the methods laid out in training. And that many quit because they can't take the pure, hard sales environment. They cannot play the role of relentless closer to get the deal, nor can they 'not take it personally'. Company close rate is established at 20%. I have had a 15 year sales career and mine was 2%.I was told 'you're so close, you're so close', just tweak it here, there, try this little phrase''. obviously, this isn't for me.

Advice to Management

You don't need my advice, your planned systems and metrics are working for you. You have a method and you are able to grow and prosper using the very hard work of the publishers you hire. You know exactly the percentages of a given crop of new publishers that will rocket to success, those that will work hard and make average money, and those that will wash out.

Best Version Media Response

Jun 6, 2018 – Media & Communications Manager

The BVM opportunity comes with one of the most generous commission structures that you will find anywhere. It has enormous potential for those who are up to the challenge. We want our people to... More