Best Version Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 9, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best Version Media is truly the best (in 66 reviews)

• The culture at Best Version Media is something that I have never experienced in my 17 year media career (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • I definitely plan on making a career with Best Version Media (in 16 reviews)

• No cons except you should have some income to live off of for at least three months as you work on getting commitments to get you to print (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best decision I ever made was coming on board with Best Version Media as a publisher!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH
    Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited income and growth potential.
    World class training and support.
    Non-profit heart in a for-profit company
    Management truly cares about each and every employee and does everything in their power to help you succeed!
    The home office support staff is AMAZING! They always have our back and support us 24/7!

Cons

Personally, I have none. But as always, not everyone is a fit for every job, here or anywhere else. If you are going to be a Publisher, you must be a self-starter and have drive, but if you trust the program and avail yourself to the resources management provides, you will succeed! They will give you all the tools, knowledge and support to succeed but ultimately YOU have to do the work.
    Is that a con? I don't think so.

"LOVE this company!"

Current Employee - Director in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The freedom to pursue a meaningful career with the support of people who genuinely care about your success. Hard work pays off here and so does personal responsibility.

Cons

Not for those who want to coast.

"Most Rewarding Opportunity Ever!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Publisher in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Where to begin...First the people of BVM are extraordinary. It is so refreshing to work with people who esteem to be "more" as opposed to those going to work each day knowing the highlight will be the chance to gripe about the work they are doing. The people here are simply the finest of human beings and the most talented people I have ever worked with. That makes the work fun and exciting. Second the pay is something I have never experienced before. I have sold a lot of things and worked for commissions many times in my life but NEVER have I found a "cumulative commission" sales position. Simply put I do not start over every month at $0 and have to sell to earn a paycheck. Whatever my last check was is the very least my next check will be and with a little work and dedication I can make that check bigger every month, even double that check in a month and now that new monthly check becomes my new minimum amount I can earn each month. It is a brilliant way to get paid. If you have ever really wanted to "get paid what you are worth", you should work for BVM. Third the product is killer. All media seems to work towards one accord and that is driving name recognition and clients to businesses. Now BVM does not pretend to be all things to everyone but it does drive a very specific consumer to local businesses. I have never seen anything that works as well as the concept that BVM has put together and at the same time drives community awareness and helps the families in each neighborhood know who they are raising their kids next to. It is deeply satisfying to put a magazine into print with BVM. The overall opportunity for personal growth, very significant financial gain and the satisfaction of working in a place you can truly love is very significant as life is too short to work where you are missing any of those.

Cons

Well the cons are the cons of life. It does not happen by osmosis. You must work and really you must work hard. Turning thin air into a magazine takes consistent effort over a couple month period of time. If you do not know how to be a responsible entrepreneur, meaning one that works, you should pass on this. Please don't come here so that BVM can babysit you. You need a 9 to 5 job if that describes you. Second when you work around serious hard working professionals and you are not one, you will be exposed quickly and be faced with tough decisions like going back to a 9 to 5 job where you can be "managed" into success or sucking it up and working harder through the tears. So bring your A game or again I would encourage you to pass.

Advice to Management

Continue to "think big" and create the best Publisher experience you can.

"It is real, very real."

Current Employee - Publisher in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Publisher in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture- a concept many companies likr to throw around. BVM truly is a culture of suppotive colleagues, mentirs and managenent that want nothing more than to see you suceed.
    Earning potential - Is real. Think of it, in the media sales industry, MAYBE if you were a high performer and sold $1million, you woukd receive 8-10% commission on a slding scale and $50-75K in salary. That is only 15-17% commission on 1million sales. BVM pays 80% and yes, there are publishers generating $1m in revenue.
    Entrepeneurship- this job is not for everyone and not everyone can and should be an entrepreneur. Bvm offers a great opportunity to become a business owner with little risk or expensive franchise fee.

Cons

Pre-print can be difficult but necessary and is no different than starting any other business. You have to WORK in order to become profitable.

Advice to Management

Keep rolling!

"Publisher"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Publishers control their own schedule. The income opportunity means security and freedom for you and your family. Great coaching too!

Cons

I do not have any.

"Terrific People, Great Company! Don't pass up this opportunity if invited to join."

Current Employee - Publisher in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Publisher in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the media business for over 35 years. I’ve worked with some really good companies (WCVB-TV, Boston, for example) and some not so. Without hesitation, Best Version Media ranks among the best, made so by the people of BVM—quality professionals and genuinely good folks who want to help publishers succeed. The culture centers on a professional will, a compassionate heart, and a fun-loving spirit, all wrapped in a virtue of humility. The company is family and hobby friendly, and provides publishers the opportunity to be in business for themselves without being in business by themselves. As the name suggests, Best Version Media gives us the tools, support, and encouragement to be the best version of ourselves.

Cons

This is a great company offering a tremendous opportunity to those who embrace the culture and work hard to succeed. If you have a deep sense of personal responsibility and a will to be the best, you will understand why there are no cons.

"Market Manager & Publisher"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time

Pros

Encouragement, Humility, and the overall culture of this company is amazing. Former cop from NY - I've dealt with a lot and this job is a breath of fresh air. This job is what you make of it...work hard and you can have a very handsome salary & flexible schedule.

Cons

Downsides...not many. At all. I will say, it takes hard work. You have to see the long term potential and really stick to the advice others give you in the company. It works, but you have to do it and stick with it.

"Publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Publisher in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Best Version Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing leadership and coaching. I am more than grateful to have been given this opportunity to grow as a publisher and as a person. It is giving me the freedom and independence to be in control of my life both personally and financially. Follow the advise of your leadership. They truly understand how to grow the business and will keep encouraging you to stay orthodox to the presentation in order to grow your business.

Cons

It’s easy to get discouraged with rejection when calling and trying to get through the gatekeeper, but you need to move on and not give up! This is definitely more natural for some people than others, but it’s all about learning to get comfortable with your uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Continue to have great leaders!

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director of Production in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Production in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People. Everyone is very helpful, kind, and the culture here is amazing. Working with people all over North America every day is incredible. I love how I can come to work every day knowing that if I am having an off day, the entire team helps get my head right. The days that I feel I am rocking it, I get so much encouragement, it is amazing! I have been working here for years, and this will be my career!

Cons

None for cons. Seriously. Anytime I have brought a concern to upper management, it has been handled and taken care of.

"Great Opportunity!"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with BVM has been an amazing experience. I'm grateful that I get to work with a team of professionals every day who are not only great at what they do, but also strive to support and elevate those around them. In the 3 years I have been here, I have seen BVM continue to grow and thrive while maintaining the same amazing culture that was here on my first day.

Cons

The work can be challenging but for this group of people that's more of a pro than a con.

Advice to Management

Continue putting people first!