Best Version Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I definitely plan on making a career with Best Version Media (in 16 reviews)

• No cons except you should have some income to live off of for at least three months as you work on getting commitments to get you to print (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best decision I ever made was coming on board with Best Version Media as a publisher!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH
    Current Employee - Publisher in Springboro, OH

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited income and growth potential.
    World class training and support.
    Non-profit heart in a for-profit company
    Management truly cares about each and every employee and does everything in their power to help you succeed!
    The home office support staff is AMAZING! They always have our back and support us 24/7!

Cons

Personally, I have none. But as always, not everyone is a fit for every job, here or anywhere else. If you are going to be a Publisher, you must be a self-starter and have drive, but if you trust the program and avail yourself to the resources management provides, you will succeed! They will give you all the tools, knowledge and support to succeed but ultimately YOU have to do the work.
    Is that a con? I don't think so.

2. "People love the magazines, publishers love the opportunity!"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best product in the industry. People love receiving the magazines. I actually had a funny experience happen to me while working for BVM. I was on a flight to Ireland and an Irish lady was sitting next to me going back home for a family visit. I had a little small talk etc and I told her that I work for a publishing company and what we do. She shared with me that they have a neighborhood magazine like that and was going on about how great it is and how being an immigrant she met a lot of her neighbors via the magazine and made many friends. She was able to get plugged into her community fast. Turned out it was a BVM magazine that we've had for over 10 years running.

Cons

None. You need to have a proper expectation that you will have to work hard. It is an opportunity for a mature individual regardless of age. You will be working with local business owners in your area and will have to be professional in your appearance and communication.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thanks for building such an amazing company!

3. "I'd Highly Recommend the Publisher Position"

Former Employee - Publisher in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Publisher in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is no better group of people to work with every day. My colleagues and management were incredibly inspiring through their example, advice, and encouragement. Not only that, but I had the opportunity to represent a high-quality product that benefitted local families and businesses. I would recommend this position to anyone seeking a positive work environment and who is wanting to be in a position to do very well financially.

Cons

This is not a salaried position, so, you are not guaranteed anything. Despite this, the training program is so comprehensive and full that it is difficult not to succeed. They are consistently adding and promoting talented, knowledgable, and compassionate leaders who are able to train you almost in a one on one coaching capacity.

4. "The absolute best management and best ongoing-support I've ever experienced."

Current Employee - Publisher

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You make a difference in the lives of people in your community, and you get the privilege of connecting neighbors, businesses, schools, and local governments within the pages of your monthly publication. It's incredibly rewarding! The longer you do it, the better it gets, and the rewards are many. It doesn't feel like work, yet I'm making more than I ever have in my life. Initially, I wanted to find a career that would allow me to retire comfortably...but now I feel like I found something that I can literally do forever and just spend my golden years taking longer vacations!

Cons

It's a bit unnerving and scary at first, because it's likely something you've never done. You're probably going to be far outside your comfort zone initially, but those who stay with it, remain committed, and keep their eye on the prize..will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Thank you, and keep it coming!

"Be wise, really understand what you are getting into first!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Publisher in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is doing a lot of things right, but know the focus is sell, sell, sell in a market that is moving to digital and already, in many places, saturated with local print media at a better value. If you have a good area and the timing is right, it could be a great opportunity for a self-starter. They aren't out to take your money and they have a good reward program to make back money spent to get their 2-day training. It seems rough, but it is exactly what is needed to really see if this is something you can do and get you doing it.

Cons

I checked out BVM before I joined and it was only rated a little over 2 stars. There has been an obvious effort to improve the ratings with a flood of recent positive reviews. Read the critical reviews carefully. Publishers and Associate Publishers who leave, and there are many who do, feel frustrated and that they have wasted time when they could have pursued another opportunity. The company has a system of recruiting that doesn't really tell you up front the whole picture, but gives it to you little at a time. You are selling advertising, full time. Yes, you can make a LOT of money, but you will always be selling because the renewal rate is only 50% and it is very hard to sell print advertising at BVM rates, when other publication rates are lower, less restrictive and offer cancellation policies. Purchasers of BVM ads may not cancel their contract. This is not industry standard. It is wise to tell customers this when they buy as it is your reputation that is in front of them. They will feel they have been tricked. You are selling to a community and if you live in that community, it is important to think through how you want to interact with that community. Every negative review posted here is responded to with some form of "that isn't true". Most people who leave BVM move on with their lives and do not post reviews. Those who have taken the time to do so may be frustrated and venting, but they aren't all liars, but people with experiences. Also - there is a lot of talk about "culture" - what culture? Unless you work in the BVM office, which is awesome, you are on your own and the culture is to produce and get rich.

Advice to Management

3 stars for career opportunities - as a publisher, you make your own way. if your area is a good fit for this, you will make money if you work really, really hard. In the wrong area, you will work just as hard and not make much. 3 stars for compensation and benefits because there are no benefits, but GREAT earnings opportunities - for the right person in the right area. 5 stars for work-life balance. This is a great opportunity for a stay at home parent with kids in school. If you are disciplined about your time, you will do well. 3 stars for Sr. Management because everyone is passionate and really, really nice, but if you are the earnings end of the business - the publishers - the focus is on produce and there is a flat rejection of hearing constructive criticism, which is vital to business. 1 star for culture and values because the only culture a publisher experiences is to sell and recruiting for publishers should be exactly that, recruiting for salespeople who want to be responsible for themselves at 100% commission, not as anything else. Just be upfront with people about the opportunity and what it is vs. recruiting for a position, then changing things up. Provide sales training for those who do not have a sales background (no, the training provided is not sales training, per se.). Care about the people coming on board beyond what they can bring in $sales$. I am sure the office itself is a great place to work. Rather than respond to this by striking down everything I am saying, take the feedback. It is the constructive feedback where your real opportunities are! If you are willing to listen and hear this feedback, it is worth it's weight in gold.

Best Version Media Response

Dec 20, 2017 – Director

BVM has never had a 2 star average in our entire Glassdoor history. That establishes a baseline to the creditably of the review. Secondly the role is a Publisher role that includes much more than... More

6. "STAY AWAY"

Pros

None that I can really think of besides there is a chance to make some money. It is paid by commission, NO base pay.

Cons

It is pretty obvious that the company is posting fake 5-star reviews (they post multiple in a day and on consecutive days).

"Publisher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for almost a year. It is by far the best job I have ever had and the best company I have ever worked with. The company provides excellent training and support all the time, not just in the beginning, like some firms. I've been able to build my own business, making an excellent salary while maintaining the flexibility my life requires. I've met many great people in my community. The residents tell me how much they enjoy the magazine so I know I am making a difference in the community while also helping businesses grow.

Cons

Can't think of any negatives. If you treat it like a regular job and follow the training process, it works very well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it's great! CEO and everyone in the company is supportive and positive. Daily conference calls are excellent.

"Stellar opportunity!"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This opportunity allows for publishers to make a positive community impact. The culture at Best Version Media is second to none. Exceptional training provided by the CEO himself, Dave Durand. The compensation structure is uncapped commission, but still allows for stability. Home office provides support to publishers in the field. This job has all of the benefits of owning a small business, and a support structure that makes us feel secure and stable!

Cons

Make sure you are a good fit! Do you thrive under autonomy? Are you driven to be the best version of yourself?

9. "Publisher"

Current Employee - Publisher/Talent Assessment Manager in Cass Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Publisher/Talent Assessment Manager in Cass Lake, MN

I have been working at Best Version Media part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part about BVM is the support and autonomy. This position offers both; while creating a powerful community resource and alot to be proud of!

Cons

Direct B2B sales holds it's ups and downs. The Associate position pre requisite can be a bit cumbersome, but like I said the support is amazing and the process is worth it's weight in Gold.

Advice to Management

Keep being the Best in order to help us all find our Best Version!

"Best Vesrsion Media is the Best"

Current Employee - Publisher

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is the only platform I'm aware of that any company can utilize to achieve true branding today. I have been with them about five years. Every success and every failure of this as my business is due to my own performance. Corporate helps with everything they can to help everyone. Sponsors enjoy success from their campaigns that are quite predictable. It is not a quick get rich scheme but an investment in the future of a company like none other. Some of our sponsors become top in the industry within a year or so through often even addressing a rather small portion of the population who represent the circle influence to our communities. I do not consider the areas of distribution as the destination but rather the beginning of word-of-mouth conversation that extends vastly beyond that area. This is one of the fastest growing companies in North America because it works.

Cons

This is not a business for the weak-minded as you have to understand the branding process completely and be able to educate people very quickly about the topic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You are the best there is! Much appreciated in all you do.