Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "best version media"

Updated May 27, 2020

Found 84 of over 487 reviews

4.4
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Dave Durand
Dave Durand
Pros
  • "BVM offers an opportunity to create a successful business without a large initial investment(in 106 reviews)

• "Be a publisher with unlimited support throughout training, all the way up to Dave Durand the CEO(in 71 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The pay is based on working 20 hours a month, but to produce a high-quality magazine, it takes much more time(in 49 reviews)

• "Same old trouble with "sales people (publishers)" who are unreasonable(in 33 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Best Version Media and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "best version media"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Awesome to Partner With

May 27, 2020 - Publisher in Montgomery, AL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Be the best version of yourself! Income potential!

Cons

Gotta keep your head right.

1 person found this review helpful

Media Relations

The Publisher opportunity offers uncapped earning potential and the freedom to build your own business. We appreciate the feedback!

2. 5.0

Publisher

Nov 25, 2015 - Associate Publisher in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is hard for me not to write an entire book on how much I love this company and the people within it. The culture of Best Version Media is by far the best I have ever experienced, and I have been fortunate enough to work with some incredible companies. The CEO, Dave Durand, is inspiring and humble and encouraging. My division and regional management team, Kevin and Jeremy, are supportive, informative,and terrific motivators. If looking for training, support, motivation, encouragement or a reality check, it's just a phone call away. The wisdom and expertise of my peers and leaders is shared openly and consistently. My favorite thing about working with Best Version Media is the training is aimed at helping you realize the best version of yourself in every way. I am passionate about the product we produce and love that this company is designed to help everyone from employees to clients to readers win! This is an exciting and rewarding adventure, I can not thank all who make this happen enough!

Cons

It takes perseverance to build your magazine. The negative is the gap in income from hire date to print. However, follow the metrics, believe in yourself, your product, and your community, and you will reap the fruits of your labor.

64 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Best version of a job

Nov 9, 2019 - Associate Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

The level of autonomy to run your OWN business with the support of Best Version Media is definitely a pro for a self starter who knows how to get the job done without a “boss”- but the support you will receive from others in the company is consistent and effective.

Cons

This job wouldn’t be right for someone who needs to punch a clock and be told what to do. You need a high level of conviction and a desire to help your community.

12 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

Thanks for the great review! We LOVE hearing from our people!

4. 5.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Amazing Company

Jan 30, 2019 - Publisher in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the company. They are truly a professional sales company that understands their product, their publishers and their clients. They produce a world class product and are probably one best firms I have ever worked with that understands and provides true support and inspiration. They always have a "can-do" management style and their people are extremely well trained, professional and very kind to everyone they meet. I have yet to meet a group of individuals that are so passionate about what they do and they have their own people sacrifice so much to make others successful. A rare and amazing culture in this highly cynical society of ours. They are true to themselves from the CEO- Dave Durand to the "janitor" they are authentic. They know who they are as leaders, they know their purpose and mission and they remember to remind how amazing you are...everyday! I mean everyday! To the point of going OMG...Can you wait a second..."wait a second" is not happening at BVM. They are moving at light speed, they take you with them at that speed, and would never ever leave you alone or behind for any reason. They deeply care about people and your well being and as making you as successful as you want to be! I have enjoyed a very successful 30 year marketing career working in over 200 different industries around the world and I feel uniquely qualified to be able provide this critique of Best Version Media. I love working with them.

Cons

If I come up with one that means anything at all...I'll post it.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I am so happy to be a part of BVM

Dec 17, 2018 - Publisher in Chambersburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best Version Media is an Opportunity to start your own business, but also have the support of others so you do not feel like you are alone. You have the flexibility to make your own schedule because you are your own Publisher but you have a team of People that genuinely care about you and want to see you succeed in your business. They give you all the tools to successfully run your business and even have daily Conference calls for questions and helpful tips. The CEO is personable and is a part of all training again showing how much he truly cares about each of our individual successes. I am so happy to be a part of a company that cares about their People the way BVM does, and I am excited to keep growing my career as a Publisher.

Cons

Starting your own publication can take a few months but some have been able to do it in weeks. The opportunities are there and you have all the support you need to get your publication to print. I have not gone to someone for help where I felt like they did not solve my concerns immediately. Honestly they have gone above and beyond on numerous occasions to assist in any way possible.

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Turnover ..but it's sales

Oct 29, 2019 - Director in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership ..good chance to make good money...

Cons

Listen I've worked at cutco....N2 and best version... Fact is the product renewal is aweful ;once captive long-term contracts are over.Thats nobody's fault..just not a good model for the customer.Top neighborhoods with wealth don't look at magazines for their clients;it's silly actually to think a millionaire and his wife are gonna make decisions from a neighborhood magazine..Really think about it

13 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

BVM magazines are one of the most powerful advertising tools for local businesses. Our advertising strategies are effective because they take a repetitive, long-term approach that places each one of our clients in front of a relevant audience on a monthly basis. Our magazines have found great success in hundreds of communities across North America.

7. 5.0

Dream Job

Jun 10, 2019 - Publisher in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You become an influence either in your neighborhood or in a particular area of the city. You get to help people that own small businesses in and around that area as well. Best Version Media gives you all of the tools to be successful, but you it is up to you.

Cons

You don't get paid right away, but they are up front about that.

1 person found this review helpful

Media Relations

Thanks for the review! We strive to offer Publishers all the resources they need to be successful in the field.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Best company I have ever worked for!

Jun 4, 2014 - Graphic Designer in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a graphic designer, I absolutely love working for Best Version Media. Best Version Media is the first company that I have worked for that really cares about their employees. I have worked in many different environments as a designer (from large international companies, to small local shops) and I have never been more impressed with the way a company works. From day one, I was encouraged, engaged and felt like I was an important part of the team. I have been working with them for over two and a half years, and I can honestly say this is the BEST job I have ever had. When there is an issue, the team literally rushes to help me fix it, in the most positive and understanding way. Everyone is always so helpful and willing to go the extra mile, and that is the best part. The company is growing so fast, and as we grow, it just gets better and better. I have never wanted to come back to work after a vacation, until I started working here, I could not wait to get back to work after my last trip! I cannot say enough about the leadership and the people in the company and how amazing they are. It is a wonderful feeling to feel your pride swell when you talk about your job. Thanks for that, Best Version Media!

Cons

In over two years with the company, I have yet to have a complaint. Great place to work!

13 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Here's what it really is

Nov 2, 2018 - Content Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

No pros. Don't fall for this. You're smarter than that.

Cons

I responded to a job posting for a content coordinator from a publisher. After some research and a review of the 'neighborhood magazine', I realized Best Version Media is making a buttload of money selling an ad-based publishing format to a growing network of would-be publishers. These publishers must be their own sales agent and obtain ads (and supply content) to create an outdated media outlet - a print magazine - about a neighborhood. I've been writing and editing content long enough to know that nobody wants to read 'highlight' stories about their neighbors. And I've been working long enough to understand that if you're giving a bunch of time, money and hard work to a company (NOT your own business) and receiving nothing in return, something is awry.

25 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Best Version Media Cares About You - Not too many businesses do this anymore

Jan 11, 2015 - Publisher/Division Manager in Durango, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

From day one I had fellow employees...all the way up to the CEO of the company be there for me. I've been in the Media Industry for over 12 years and have worked for several large Newspaper Organizations, but no one made me feel more at home and supported as the team at Best Version Media. I've been with the company for only four short months and have already not only Published my first magazine, working on my second, but was also promoted to Division Manager. If you are looking to finally have your own business...but the backing of a big corporation then Best Version Media is for you. I highly recommend this company.

Cons

The initial period of working towards a baseline to get your magazine to print where you are not earning a normal paycheck. However they have now put in some bonus plans to help with some of the expenses. This shows you how much they care for their employees. If you follow the company metrics and program, you get to print in 2-3 months and then earn residual commissions on everything you sell , month after month, thereafter.

10 people found this review helpful