Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "magazine"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

4.4
Pros
  • "BVM offers an opportunity to create a successful business without a large initial investment(in 106 reviews)

• "Be a publisher with unlimited support throughout training, all the way up to Dave Durand the CEO(in 71 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The pay is based on working 20 hours a month, but to produce a high-quality magazine, it takes much more time(in 49 reviews)

• "Same old trouble with "sales people (publishers)" who are unreasonable(in 33 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Best Version Media and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "magazine"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Flexible Job with Positive Work Environment

Dec 26, 2019 - Content Coordinator in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a content coordinator, you're offered support, a handbook, and flexibility to do your job. The work culture is positive, and if you have a good publisher (which I do), your job can be fairly smooth and you can get compensated more as the magazine grows.

Cons

The only downside I can see is that this position cannot really be a full-time job; it is a great part-time/side gig. If you need to do this job to earn a living, you'd need to be a content coordinator for multiple magazines.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Thanks for the feedback!

2. 3.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good internship experience, but not for career

Jan 21, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Independence, creative freedom, supportive management, quick communication despite being remote, a general desire from team members to have me succeed

Cons

Offered extremely low-paying job after internship that I just couldn't take; seemed kind of pyramid-schemey as my supervisor tried to persuade me to spend money on the company in order to make money; if you're a writer, they will store your articles and send them to other magazines around the country without asking your permission, and you may never know if you were published elsewhere; lack of consideration for weekly hours (was asked to do extra work even though I finished my hours for the week-- and I was an unpaid intern).

Be the first to find this review helpful

Media Relations

We’re glad to hear this reviewer gained valuable experience while working with one of our Publishers. We’ll look into the situation further to assure that anyone working with our people has the best possible experience.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Publisher

Nov 25, 2015 - Associate Publisher in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is hard for me not to write an entire book on how much I love this company and the people within it. The culture of Best Version Media is by far the best I have ever experienced, and I have been fortunate enough to work with some incredible companies. The CEO, Dave Durand, is inspiring and humble and encouraging. My division and regional management team, Kevin and Jeremy, are supportive, informative,and terrific motivators. If looking for training, support, motivation, encouragement or a reality check, it's just a phone call away. The wisdom and expertise of my peers and leaders is shared openly and consistently. My favorite thing about working with Best Version Media is the training is aimed at helping you realize the best version of yourself in every way. I am passionate about the product we produce and love that this company is designed to help everyone from employees to clients to readers win! This is an exciting and rewarding adventure, I can not thank all who make this happen enough!

Cons

It takes perseverance to build your magazine. The negative is the gap in income from hire date to print. However, follow the metrics, believe in yourself, your product, and your community, and you will reap the fruits of your labor.

64 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good job for people who don't need money and are looking to pass time

Oct 31, 2019 - Publisher in Minot, ND
      Business Outlook

Pros

High income earning potential, work your own hours, good culture.

Cons

No paycheck for 3-12 months with 'tiny' spiffs to meet goals along the way. You sell advertising spaces into a magazine and once you hit a certain quota you finally get a commission on a percentage of any advertising you sell above it. The issue is how long it takes you to get to the quota and they don't pay you in the meantime. So it's only feasible to do if you got enough money in the bank to handle such a long time with no pay.

32 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

The BVM Publisher opportunity is not for everybody, but it's very worthwhile for those who can handle the challenges that come with it.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very smooth scam. Be very careful!

Sep 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You do all the hard work for very little pay. I would guess about 2-5% of people who do this job make any real money. The rest lose a LOT of money trying to get it off the ground while working for free. No benefits ever with one of the 'fastest growing companies in America.' Terrible ethics when it comes down to it.

Cons

It is dressed up like advertisers love this product. They don't. And magazine is not sent to every household in the neighborhood. Very hard sell in real time and the company takes most of the money. 'Baseline' is not a real number. Don't take my word for it, talk to real publishers in the industry first. They'll tell you this is not a real publisher role. Sure does sound good though.

23 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

The BVM opportunity offers Publishers unlimited income potential with one of the most generous commission programs you'll find anywhere. We have hundreds of Publishers who have built incredible businesses for themselves because our magazines are among of the most powerful ways to advertise locally. While the opportunity requires commitment and hard work, we believe it can be for anyone who is up to the challenge.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Local editorial team was great.

Feb 10, 2020 - Content Coordinator in Stamford, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Certainly nice to work from home and on your own schedule. Our local team was smart and collaborative.

Cons

The pay is based on working 20 hours a month, but to produce a high-quality magazine, it takes much more time.

2 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

Content Coordinators enjoy a flexible, professional environment that allows them to earn additional income by writing local content for our magazines. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to improve the opportunity moving forward.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Turnover ..but it's sales

Oct 29, 2019 - Director in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership ..good chance to make good money...

Cons

Listen I've worked at cutco....N2 and best version... Fact is the product renewal is aweful ;once captive long-term contracts are over.Thats nobody's fault..just not a good model for the customer.Top neighborhoods with wealth don't look at magazines for their clients;it's silly actually to think a millionaire and his wife are gonna make decisions from a neighborhood magazine..Really think about it

13 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

BVM magazines are one of the most powerful advertising tools for local businesses. Our advertising strategies are effective because they take a repetitive, long-term approach that places each one of our clients in front of a relevant audience on a monthly basis. Our magazines have found great success in hundreds of communities across North America.

8. 2.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Jun 6, 2019 - Information Systems Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

I just got off the phone with BVM to understand more of how the business works. It's $5,000 worth of ad sales to local businesses in your residence before any income is gained on the your end (which they title as a "publisher"). Then they send their magazine out via mail to micro-targeted residents from their marketing team located in WI.

Cons

Attendance to a training seminar is mandatory in Wisconsin. Having to take a trip out of state before I can make $5,000 worth of sales- which is the minimum amount of ad sales one would have to make before gaining an income, makes this a whole lot of up-front expenses on my end, and a whole lot of trust to an out of state marketing team to the local businesses whom I would try to sell to. I may be wrong but this does not sound like a viable business model.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee

Sales Account Executive

Mar 25, 2016 - Sales Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company that is very fair, full of encouragement and their method of sales are really great! All of the people are very friendly and very serious. There is very little up-front investment ( about $500 depending on travel expenses).

Cons

The biggest con is that there is down-time in income while you collect sales, so if you do not have 2 -6 months living expenses covered while you are trying to get this going, then it's not for you. The other big con is that it really does matter where you live in order for this magazine to be a success. The magazine caters to rich, successful families and you must convince advertisers that that is what they want. Smaller cities are tough because the local businesses already have a network and a good handle on how to sell their wares. My city really only has one development considered successful and they rejected the free magazine coming to their homes. Other developments were too small for advertisers to be interested. So know your city and your local businesses before you take the plunge. BVM will say it doesn't matter where you sale, but it does. It will take much longer for some areas and if you're not already retired with an income, you won't make it.

31 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Here's what it really is

Nov 2, 2018 - Content Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

No pros. Don't fall for this. You're smarter than that.

Cons

I responded to a job posting for a content coordinator from a publisher. After some research and a review of the 'neighborhood magazine', I realized Best Version Media is making a buttload of money selling an ad-based publishing format to a growing network of would-be publishers. These publishers must be their own sales agent and obtain ads (and supply content) to create an outdated media outlet - a print magazine - about a neighborhood. I've been writing and editing content long enough to know that nobody wants to read 'highlight' stories about their neighbors. And I've been working long enough to understand that if you're giving a bunch of time, money and hard work to a company (NOT your own business) and receiving nothing in return, something is awry.

25 people found this review helpful