Best Version Media "magazine" Reviews | Glassdoor

Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "magazine"

Updated Oct 31, 2019

4.4
Pros
  • "The employees at BVM are great people to work with(in 103 reviews)

• "Best Version Media offers great education to help you get started as a magazine publisher(in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay is 100% commission so without success BVM can be very tough(in 45 reviews)

• "People will think you are crazy for 'working for free' to launch a magazine(in 44 reviews)

Reviews about "magazine"

Return to all Reviews

"Magazine Publisher"

I worked at Best Version Media full-time

Pros

Best Version Media offers great education to help you get started as a magazine publisher. Their extensive training program will have you ready to hit the ground running and selling advertising quickly. In addition, you'll have an on-going support system to provide ideas and motivated.

Cons

You'll find the cold calls to be quite grueling.

Best Version Media2018-09-18

"Good job for people who don't need money and are looking to pass time"

Former Employee - Publisher in Minot, ND

I worked at Best Version Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

High income earning potential, work your own hours, good culture.

Cons

No paycheck for 3-12 months with 'tiny' spiffs to meet goals along the way. You sell advertising spaces into a magazine and once you hit a certain quota you finally get a commission on a percentage of any advertising you sell above it. The issue is how long it takes you to get to the quota and they don't pay you in the meantime. So it's only feasible to do if you got enough money in the bank to handle such a... long time with no pay.

Advice to Management

If you believe in your product than pay your employees at the beginning of training so they don't go broke trying to sell your advertising. Do this and your company wouldn't have such a high turnover rate

Best Version Media2019-10-31
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Turnover ..but it's sales"

Former Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Version Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good leadership ..good chance to make good money...

Cons

Listen I've worked at cutco....N2 and best version... Fact is the product renewal is aweful ;once captive long-term contracts are over.Thats nobody's fault..just not a good model for the customer.Top neighborhoods with wealth don't look at magazines for their clients;it's silly actually to think a millionaire and his wife are gonna make decisions from a neighborhood magazine..Really think about it

Best Version Media2019-10-30
  5. "High Turnover of Publishers/Sales people"

Current Contractor - Digital Content Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Best Version Media

Pros

Flexible schedule, no micromanagement, decent pay.

Cons

Very high turnover of publishers, print is a very hard sell, my original publisher was lied to and she left, originally the company said the publishers could sell their magazines if they left the company and they changed the rules on her after several years, so she left with nothing to show for the 4+ years of hard work. She left and no one was ever able to replace her, publishers kept quitting. So, for content... coordinators, it's a very unstable job. Magazines have been cancelled days before going to print due to low ad revenue. It's not an easy job but being a content coordinator, I was left without any work after my magazine was shut down and no one offered any help in finding more work within the company. You sacrifice and work your butt off, and boom, they get rid of you when the magazine isn't performing in sales, and you're gone just like that! I know several CC's in my area that I met in person and they all feel the same way. Very frustrating. Also, almost zero human contact unless something is needed from you. If you enjoy working like a "robot" that can be turned on and off, then this may be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

Do you know that content coordinators are also human beings that need the income and have families to feed?

Best Version Media2019-10-22

"Very smooth scam. Be very careful!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Version Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

You do all the hard work for very little pay. I would guess about 2-5% of people who do this job make any real money. The rest lose a LOT of money trying to get it off the ground while working for free. No benefits ever with one of the 'fastest growing companies in America.' Terrible ethics when it comes down to it.

Cons

It is dressed up like advertisers love this product. They don't. And magazine is not sent to every household in the neighborhood. Very hard sell in real time and the company takes most of the money. 'Baseline' is not a real number. Don't take my word for it, talk to real publishers in the industry first. They'll tell you this is not a real publisher role. Sure does sound good though.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what percentage of people who spend tens of thousands of dollars working hard for free to get their magazine going and do not make enough money to support themselves. Most people should know they will lose a lot of their savings working hard to get it off the ground. Working hard for this company seriously dented my savings account.

Best Version Media2019-09-18

"101"

Current Freelancer - Information Systems Coordinator

I have been working at Best Version Media for less than a year

Pros

I just got off the phone with BVM to understand more of how the business works. It's $5,000 worth of ad sales to local businesses in your residence before any income is gained on the your end (which they title as a "publisher"). Then they send their magazine out via mail to micro-targeted residents from their marketing team located in WI.

Cons

Attendance to a training seminar is mandatory in Wisconsin. Having to take a trip out of state before I can make $5,000 worth of sales- which is the minimum amount of ad sales one would have to make before gaining an income, makes this a whole lot of up-front expenses on my end, and a whole lot of trust to an out of state marketing team to the local businesses whom I would try to sell to. I may be wrong but this... does not sound like a viable business model.

Best Version Media2019-06-06

"Disappointing company"

Former Contractor - Writer/Editor

I worked at Best Version Media for less than a year

Pros

Working remotely, and nothing more.

Cons

Direct-mail, advertorial-based publication model that isn't an accurate reflection of community unless entire community consists of wealthy homeowners; exploitative labor practices; lack of payment to key contributors such as photographers in lieu of "exposure;" lack of online visibility (i.e., no digital copy available as evidence of contribution to magazines); lack of overall unification of business model leading... to haphazard, winging-it management style from inexperienced publication leads.

Advice to Management

I worked with two sets of "publishers," or owners, really, for your company. The first was professional. The second was one of the worst professional experiences I've ever had, such that not only could I not wait to leave, I would never recommend working for BVM.

Best Version Media2018-12-13

"Here's what it really is"

Current Freelancer - Content Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Best Version Media for less than a year

Pros

No pros. Don't fall for this. You're smarter than that.

Cons

I responded to a job posting for a content coordinator from a publisher. After some research and a review of the 'neighborhood magazine', I realized Best Version Media is making a buttload of money selling an ad-based publishing format to a growing network of would-be publishers. These publishers must be their own sales agent and obtain ads (and supply content) to create an outdated media outlet - a print magazine... - about a neighborhood. I've been writing and editing content long enough to know that nobody wants to read 'highlight' stories about their neighbors. And I've been working long enough to understand that if you're giving a bunch of time, money and hard work to a company (NOT your own business) and receiving nothing in return, something is awry.

Advice to Management

Stop bashing all of the negative reviews on here. You're defensive and wordy about how wonderful BVM is, and it speaks volumes about what BVM REALLY is - a scam.

Best Version Media2018-11-02
  10. "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Contractor - Publisher in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Best Version Media for less than a year

Pros

Was it easy - NO Was it worth it - YES The support from my productivity coach, my Division Manager, and Region Manager really helped me to learn my craft and get the results needed. There were some struggles along the way but honestly you have to expect it to be a challenge when you can make this much money.

Cons

Some business owners weren’t cooperative, other were not very nice but at the end of the day the right ones are who is in my magazine.

Advice to Management

thank you for all of the support!!

Best Version Media2018-08-09
  11. "I LOVE this company!!!"

Current Contractor - Publisher in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Best Version Media for less than a year

Pros

Incredible support structure Excellent training and ongoing training Work from home Superb company culture Brilliant concept These magazines are so special to the communities. People look forward to getting it. I love that the community helps shape and grow the magazine. Dave Durand is an exceptional leader. He has built a team of incredible leaders. I can't wait to see where this company goes! If you love... helping people, working in a creative vibrant work environment and being your own boss, apply now!

Cons

I don't think there are any cons. The concept is brilliant and simple, but you do have to work hard. If you do not like to work hard to achieve great rewards, do not apply.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and thank you!

Best Version Media2018-08-08