Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "publisher"

Updated Nov 30, 2021

Found 81 of over 581 reviews

4.3
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Kevin O’ Brien
Kevin O’ Brien

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Schedule was very hectic for little pay.(in 10 reviews)
  • "No salary until you make minimum sales to support the magazine for at least a year—usually takes 2(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Best Version Media and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "publisher"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

If being successful was easy, everyone would do it and there would be no money in it.

Nov 30, 2021 - Division Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, Culture, training and support at every level. All I have via education is a high school diploma, yet I make more money as a publisher with BVM than my doctor or attorney .... by a LOT.

Cons

If you are not willing to do the daily work and be disciplined in achieving your goal than this is NOT for you. If you want to follow the simple orthodoxy (Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm) that the teach then you can change your life, finances, family and community with positive product that people love than this IS for you.

Media Relations

We proudly work with people of all backgrounds who have found great success working with BVM. Thanks for the great review!

2. 5.0
    Current Contractor

It's all they say it is, and more

Oct 26, 2021 - Publisher in Saint Charles, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Been representing this company as an independent contractor (Publisher) for 5 years. They make some very bold claims about the income potential, stability and culture. I can honestly say that in my experience, all of these claims are absolutely true and possible to achieve, as long as you are willing to put in the work on a consistent basis. They have built a terrific model that includes solid training and ongoing support, and the culture is better than anything I have ever seen.

Cons

Some people consider the status of independent contractor to be a detriment, since it doesn't offer "benefits" like health insurance and 401k. However, I've found it to be a much better situation to have those things completely separate from my source of income.

Communications Specialist

Thank you for the review! BVM offers entrepreneurs a flexible work environment and an award-winning culture unlike anywhere else. We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you on the team!

3. 5.0

Dream Career & Culture Come True

Oct 26, 2021 - Publisher & Market Manager in Bloomington, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

If I were to take all the things I was looking for in a career and bundle them up into one perfect "job," working for Best Version Media is IT! I have paid my dues in "Corporate America" and been there, done that with office politics, suppressed income levels, and unfit leadership for all the various reasons. Working as a publisher for Best Version Media is the absolute complete opposite of all of that! First and foremost, the culture at this company is absolute TOP NOTCH. The humble, fun loving spirit of the leadership is like nothing I have ever experienced working elsewhere. And while the role of publisher is an independent role, there is certainly no lack of support or training and help is always just a quick call away. I also love the freedom and flexibility of being able to make my own schedule, and to have complete control over my paycheck. If I want or need to make more money, it's on me to hop out there and make it happen vs someone else capping my income. All of that coupled with the innovation and stability that came from the top through the tough times of COVID lockdowns, just solidified that I am absolutely in the right place and completely blessed daily with a career that I love that is also making a difference in my community. It is hard to imagine all of the things that everyone wants in one place, but it's all right here... in one amazing Dream Career.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind what-so-ever. :)

Communications Specialist

We love hearing from our fantastic Publishers! BVM has created an environment where Publishers can excel to their fullest potential and our leadership supports them every step of the way. We are so happy you are part of the BVM team!

4. 5.0

For the Entrepreneur who Wants to Excel

May 4, 2021 - Publisher
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is an entrepreneurial person's dream job. We have flexibility to manage our daily schedules - along with our own earning potential. I love the BVM culture, the opportunity for growth, the emphasis on helping everyone succeed. We receive ongoing coaching, there's always a person or resource to help through different business situations, and each publisher looks to learn from each other. I also appreciate the emphasis on work-life balance here. The work is tough and our schedules are full, but we are able to enjoy weekends, vacations and family time.

Cons

You really have to maintain a positive attitude because this is a daily sales business. This is not a company where someone can "hide" from doing his/her job. It takes a lot of work and diligence to build and maintain a successful magazine - and publishers cannot let up.

2 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

We love hearing from the dedicated entrepreneurs who enjoy working with us as Publishers! The BVM opportunity offers an award-winning culture, incredible growth opportunities and a work-life balance you won't find anywhere else. Thanks for the awesome review!

5. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Best Publishing job out there

May 7, 2021 - Publisher in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Training, on-going support and online resources are the best any company I've worked for has offered. To protect Publishers and Clients, the management team created online tools to continue our business when meeting in person was not possible. Best company ever!

Cons

You are your own biggest obstacle. I you want to earn a full time income, you must put in a full time effort.

Media Relations

We appreciate the kind words about our business and we're thrilled to hear that you enjoy working with us!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

The best decision ever

Apr 28, 2021 - Publisher in Chester, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomy, financial, personal, professional freedom. I determine my value and pay myself accordingly. Culture, fellow Publishers and friends I've made.

Cons

Requires an entrepreneurial spirit, mind-set and discipline. To some that is a con but a requirement in order to achieve goals in this role.

Media Relations

Thanks for the review! BVM Publishers have the exciting opportunity to earn unlimited income as they build their own business.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Impressive Company

Feb 25, 2021 - Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

From the top down the culture that is integrated through the entire organization is second to none. Whether it is the corporate office or the sales field, very impressive. The level of widespread publisher success is great to see.

Cons

This is not a position for someone who is lazy. There is a learning curve like any position but a person must be willing to roll up their sleeves and go to work.

Media Relations

Thank you for the fantastic review! We take great pride in our award-winning culture and we're happy to hear you enjoy working with us.

8. 5.0

Advice to job seekers

Mar 9, 2021 - Co-publisher in Sag Harbor, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best Version Media has an extraordinary business and sales culture. They provide excellent support of their publishers with daily meetings, seminars, excellent systems and resources, dedicated, well trained and helpful staff, and brilliant leadership.

Cons

A new publisher must be a self starter, driven and apply themselves consistently.

Media Relations

We strive to offer support, training and resources to help our Publishers find success. Thank you so much for the review!

9. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Flexible Job with Positive Work Environment

Dec 26, 2019 - Content Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a content coordinator, you're offered support, a handbook, and flexibility to do your job. The work culture is positive, and if you have a good publisher (which I do), your job can be fairly smooth and you can get compensated more as the magazine grows.

Cons

The only downside I can see is that this position cannot really be a full-time job; it is a great part-time/side gig. If you need to do this job to earn a living, you'd need to be a content coordinator for multiple magazines.

Thanks for the feedback!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

A Loving Company

Feb 11, 2016 - Publisher in Long Beach, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* ongoing training * a culture of cooperation in which other publishers like myself freely share best practices * a genuine sense that everyone from the CEO to the associate publishers really care about one another * great incentive programs * a tremendous amount of attention and encouragement from principals * There is no criticism when goals are not met. Rather, supervisors truly help those who are struggling succeed. * The commission structure is very generous, 80%, far and away higher than any other firm that I know of. * Very open to older publishers who have experience in other fields. * Age is no barrier. * Sometimes support staff answer emails on weekends and at nights. Really appreciate that, though I don't expect it. * CEO Dave Durand is inspirational. I love to hear his talk every week. * National Sales Manager Kevin Orton is one of the top three or four people I've ever known. A genuine, kind, supportive person.

Cons

I had to think about this for a bit. The only thing I'd say is that I'd like to be making more income, but that is in my hands, since it is completely commission-based and the commission is very generous.

11 people found this review helpful