Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "publishers"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 33 of over 487 reviews

4.4
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Dave Durand
Dave Durand
Pros
  • "BVM offers an opportunity to create a successful business without a large initial investment(in 106 reviews)

• "Be a publisher with unlimited support throughout training, all the way up to Dave Durand the CEO(in 71 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The pay is based on working 20 hours a month, but to produce a high-quality magazine, it takes much more time(in 49 reviews)

• "Same old trouble with "sales people (publishers)" who are unreasonable(in 33 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Best Version Media and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "publishers"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Good Remote work for graphic designers

Oct 19, 2020 - Graphic Designer in Brookfield, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of well thought out systems in place to keep people within their job descriptions.

Cons

Same old trouble with "sales people (publishers)" who are unreasonable.

Media Relations

Thank you for leaving us some feedback. We work with some of the most talented graphic designers in the industry!

2. 4.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Takes Good Care of Freelancers

Jan 13, 2021 - Content Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, reasonable pay, fun work, dedication to communities served

Cons

Sometimes difficult to reach people at headquarters/support, need to train publishers more clearly on working with freelancers as well as clearly articulating expectations for all parties.

Media Relations

Content Coordinators are so important to our monthly magazines! We value your feedback about the role and will use it to improve moving forward.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job for freelance writer

Dec 27, 2020 - Contract Article Writer in West Palm Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Consistent work and pays on time

Cons

Pay could be better. If you don't have a good publisher to work with, the job is not fun.

Media Relations

Thank you for leaving us some feedback about the Content Coordinator role.

4. 3.0
      Current Contractor, more than 3 years

Front end works, back end does not

Aug 14, 2019 - Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's something for those that have nothing (don't quit a job that has steady, predictable income and benefits for this, no matter how much you hate it, but if you're already out of work and can't find anything, this is a very good opportunity). Excellent sales training and leadership. Decent, and could be better than decent income potential if you work it hard, fast, furious and consistent. Flexibility and independence. Many nice people in corporate.

Cons

Income from sales is neither guaranteed nor predictable. Contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Small businesses, who are the primary target, do not appreciate the value of branding so it's tough sale, and even tougher to retain. You *own* nothing but your LLC, you are not building an asset. Publishers are essentially a super-cheap sales force, with no benefits. Read the publisher contract very carefully before signing. There is a 30-day "termination for convenience" clause that all should be aware of.

3 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

We appreciate your feedback. The BVM Publisher opportunity offers a generous commission structure you won’t find anywhere else. It’s an opportunity that has enormous potential for anyone who is up to the challenge. Our independently contracted Publishers create their business from the ground up with the support of our Home Office staff, world-class training and leadership team. It’s an excellent opportunity for anyone who desires to be in business for themselves, but not by themselves.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best decision I ever made was coming on board with Best Version Media as a publisher!

Sep 17, 2017 - Publisher in Springboro, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited income and growth potential. World class training and support. Non-profit heart in a for-profit company Management truly cares about each and every employee and does everything in their power to help you succeed! The home office support staff is AMAZING! They always have our back and support us 24/7!

Cons

Personally, I have none. But as always, not everyone is a fit for every job, here or anywhere else. If you are going to be a Publisher, you must be a self-starter and have drive, but if you trust the program and avail yourself to the resources management provides, you will succeed! They will give you all the tools, knowledge and support to succeed but ultimately YOU have to do the work. Is that a con? I don't think so.

85 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very smooth scam. Be very careful!

Sep 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You do all the hard work for very little pay. I would guess about 2-5% of people who do this job make any real money. The rest lose a LOT of money trying to get it off the ground while working for free. No benefits ever with one of the 'fastest growing companies in America.' Terrible ethics when it comes down to it.

Cons

It is dressed up like advertisers love this product. They don't. And magazine is not sent to every household in the neighborhood. Very hard sell in real time and the company takes most of the money. 'Baseline' is not a real number. Don't take my word for it, talk to real publishers in the industry first. They'll tell you this is not a real publisher role. Sure does sound good though.

23 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

The BVM opportunity offers Publishers unlimited income potential with one of the most generous commission programs you'll find anywhere. We have hundreds of Publishers who have built incredible businesses for themselves because our magazines are among of the most powerful ways to advertise locally. While the opportunity requires commitment and hard work, we believe it can be for anyone who is up to the challenge.

7. 1.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Here's what it really is

Nov 2, 2018 - Content Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

No pros. Don't fall for this. You're smarter than that.

Cons

I responded to a job posting for a content coordinator from a publisher. After some research and a review of the 'neighborhood magazine', I realized Best Version Media is making a buttload of money selling an ad-based publishing format to a growing network of would-be publishers. These publishers must be their own sales agent and obtain ads (and supply content) to create an outdated media outlet - a print magazine - about a neighborhood. I've been writing and editing content long enough to know that nobody wants to read 'highlight' stories about their neighbors. And I've been working long enough to understand that if you're giving a bunch of time, money and hard work to a company (NOT your own business) and receiving nothing in return, something is awry.

25 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

In control of my own financial security

May 18, 2017 - Publisher in Danville, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I lost my last job because one person decided my position was no longer needed. Nothing I had done in the previous years (good or bad) mattered. I vowed that I would never again put myself in a position where the financial future of my family was in the control of someone else. Best Version Media has given me that very opportunity. As a Publisher with BVM, I am in complete control of my situation. The equation is simple: work harder = make more money. When I schedule more appointments and meet with more business owners, the company grows. When I slack off, it doesn't. I have all the advantages of running my own small business, but without the headaches (personnel, billing, legal, etc.) that most small business people hate. The long term nature of our branding campaigns insures a more consistent income that other commission structured opportunities. Plus, I get the added benefit of actually making my community a better place to live. That's just cool.

Cons

BVM is not for everyone. If you need a safety net or if you are the kind of person who likes to show up at the office everyday and goof off knowing your paycheck will be the same, then this is not an opportunity for you. I have seen many Publisher wannabes who, quite frankly, couldn't handle the freedom and ended up not doing the work. Rather than address their own shortcomings, they looked for someone to blame for their failures. I would be very curious to know how many of the negative reviews about BVM come from folks who fall in this category.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

2nd to none.

Oct 5, 2016 - Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best Version Media is by far the best overall career opportunity I have had the opportunity to take part in. It is truly second to none. In fact, it absolutely stuns me to see negative reviews about this company. The only explanation to this is that someone either misunderstood the opportunity and decided to bash BVM for their own personal incompetence or the opportunity exposed to them their personal shortcomings and lack of will and rather than facing them, the individual decided it would be easier to place the blame on someone else (i.e BVM). In my experience, the best part about BVM is the culture. Hands down. You just can not find anything else like this out there in the corporate world. Their CEO is one of the most consistent, uplifting, and intelligent leaders I have had the privilege to work with. His example seems to trickle down into all BVM's leadership teams as the encouragement I have received from their Regional and Divisional Managers only confirms the company's authenticity.

Cons

You have to earn it, this is a compensation-based only position so it can be tough in the beginning. However, the stress and difficulty of living without a paycheck for a few months pales in comparison to the financial reward and autonomy I have experienced as a Publisher.

9 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Contractor

Associate Publisher

Feb 17, 2016 - Associate Publisher in Billings, MT
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has a winning business model that is providing lucrative income to motivated marketers. You are your own boss and have tons of local control by building neighborhood magazines that people love to read and business people love to sponsor. The culture of the company is positive, motivational and FUN! You'll be surrounded by supportive people at the management level as well as the hundreds of independent publishers who are there to encourage your success. BVM continues to experience triple digit growth in the U.S. and Canada has recently ventured into Ireland. BVM's presence is sure to grow internationally as the company strategically seeks new opportunities.

Cons

New publishers have to work hard to get to "Baseline" of a new magazine. So there's no income until you reach that goal. For most, it's a 2-5 month process, but hard-working new publishers have reached this goal in less than 30 days. If you're not self-motivated and a people person, this might not be the job for you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews