Bethany Lutheran Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Bethany Lutheran Homes Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2019

3.4
Bethany Lutheran Homes CEO Todd Wilson (no image)
Todd Wilson
  1. "Atmosphere"

Current Employee - CNA in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Bethany Lutheran Homes full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff was helpful and informative

Cons

We were short staffed quite often

Bethany Lutheran Homes2018-11-21
  2. "Typical day at work"

Current Employee - STNA

I have been working at Bethany Lutheran Homes part-time

Pros

You get help from others, builds thick skin and time managment skills.

Cons

Lots of work compared to other places, sometimes shortstaffed which was stressful

Bethany Lutheran Homes2019-07-06
  3. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant

I worked at Bethany Lutheran Homes part-time

Pros

Great co-workers, good hours, flexible schedule

Cons

Sometimes short staffed which made things a bit more stressful

Bethany Lutheran Homes2019-03-05
  4. "Not a good place to work."

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Bethany Lutheran Homes full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful residents with hard-working employees.

Cons

Often short staffed. Management is absolutely terrible. The staff is mistreated and taken for granted. Treated like replaceable pons in their power trip. Horrible communication between management and staff; they do not return emails or voicemails for weeks and most of the time they do not reply at all. They promise incentives but don't actually add them to your check (all without telling you), along with management... picking and choosing who to give them to. I have worked there for less than a year; they have such bad turn around. I do not recommend this workplace.

Bethany Lutheran Homes2019-04-04
  5. "CNA at Bethany Riverside"

I worked at Bethany Lutheran Homes part-time

Pros

Fun co-workers, paid training on your own time, most residents are pleasant, many opportunities for growth

Cons

Inflexible scheduling, difficult to get support needed for certain residents

Bethany Lutheran Homes2018-08-27
  6. "C.N.A"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant

I have been working at Bethany Lutheran Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn a lot and have wonderful coworkers.

Cons

You can burn out fast due to staffing issues and lack of support from management.

Bethany Lutheran Homes2018-05-21
  7. "Love the Residents but Don’t Love Management"

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Bethany Lutheran Homes part-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve worked in dietary for about two years and I can honestly say I absolutely love my coworkers. They foster an appreciative, caring environment that is clearly lacking in management and nursing management. The residents are all amazing and I look forward to seeing them every day. I care a lot about my coworkers and the residents which is why I’m very frustrated with how the facility is being run. They offer decent... benefits in my opinion, even if you’re working part time. I think it’s great they also offer a Tuition Investment Program for students.

Cons

I make 10 cents more as an employee of two years than someone who has just walked in the door. I have never gotten a 6 month review that was promised upon hiring and I know most of my coworkers have not gotten one either. There’s a lot of staff that are negligent and do not do their jobs that are often overlooked. This has been brought up to upper management and nothing has been done to change it. I feel ignored by... my supervisor when I have concerns or requests (like a review). Bethany pays less than other care facilities in the area when it comes to CNA/RCA positions. They also hire mainly RCAs because they don’t need training or certification beforehand, meaning they don’t need to pay them as much. This is really evident when seeing how they work with residents, how they act around them, and away from them. They often gossip about resident’s private matters. I’ve heard many residents complain that their call lights take a long time to answer and sometimes they are completely ignored. That’s really horrible to imagine considering it could be an emergency. It seems a lot of the RCAs act inconvenienced by having to care for residents and I feel horrible for them. I’m working on being a certified nursing assistant now and will be looking to work elsewhere because I could not tolerate the treatment the residents receive as someone who is responsible for their care.

Advice to Management

Please work on communication between staff and management. More often than not I’ve seen staff completely ignored or blown off when they have concerns. I also think there should be strict education on negligence because I honestly believe most of the staff have no clue ignoring a call light is wrong. Review employees consistently so the ones who genuinely care about residents and their work are compensated... accordingly. Overall I’ve loved the time I’ve worked for Bethany. My coworkers and the residents make my days very enjoyable. Unfortunately the longer I’m there the more negative things I notice about the company and will be unable to stay there long term, even though that would be ideal.

Bethany Lutheran Homes2018-01-20
  8. "middle manager in operations - long term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Bethany Lutheran Homes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fairly good benefits and pay average or above; well established firm.

Cons

Horribly toxic place to work. They will ruin you if you are an honest, sincere, caring, hard working person. Extremely difficult place to survive for good people. You will not thrive.

Advice to Management

Fire at least 8 out of twelve executives and find people who value integrity and will cull the bad apples. That is the only way to salvage this once great organization. It will take years to correct with consistent, determined effort. Dishonest, incompetent sandbaggers MUST GO. They are overwhelming anything decent left in this workplace. World's worst HR!!

Bethany Lutheran Homes2017-02-08
  9. "Was okay"

I worked at Bethany Lutheran Homes

Pros

People were kind and nice. really flexible. willing to work with my high school schedule and other activities.

Cons

too less of a pay for the hard work we put in. everyday cna endure sweats and bruises. we don't get pay enough to do all this hard stuff

Advice to Management

increase pay and less patients per cna. better training for the cna. i felt unprepared and then i get yelled at for doing the wrong things

Bethany Lutheran Homes2016-10-24

Bethany Lutheran Homes Response

September 5, 2017Human Resources

Thank you for reviewing us. I am glad you appreciate our friendly and flexible staff, they really are what makes Bethany Lutheran Homes a great place to work. We regularly review our wages to make sure we are being competitive. Your suggestion for training has been heard and we are glad to announce we have hired a full time CNA Training Specialist that is working on training and orienting new staff as well as building skills with the entire staff.

10. "Dementia Specific Units"

I have been working at Bethany Lutheran Homes

Pros

There are dementia directed halls within the facility.

Cons

When there is short staffing, they tend to have to mandate staff members to stay on another shift.

Bethany Lutheran Homes2016-10-25

Bethany Lutheran Homes Response

September 5, 2017Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write out a review. I am sorry to hear that you would not recommend us. We firmly believe that we should do everything we can to avoid having our staff work short. When our staff works short, they have increased numbers of residents to take care of which makes it more difficult and it reduces the quality of care our residents receive. We try to cover every shift however we can and we have been working hard to make sure we provide competitive wages and benefits to draw people in and keep them with our flexible and rewarding work environment. If you are still a current employee, I encourage you to come speak with us or with your supervisor and share your ideas for how to make things work better! Thank you.

Found 13 reviews