Bethel University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Bethel University President James H. Barnes III
James H. Barnes III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance, with understanding leadership" (in 4 reviews)

• "Bethel like mentioned below does have some great people working there" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Where to start, they went to a more corporate work environment and being Christian is in name only" (in 5 reviews)

• "Youth and tech skills are promoted to the detriment of ethical and honorable treatment of mid and late career staff and faculty" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Campus Store"

Pros

-Friendly and helpful managers
    -Job is pretty easy to learn and training doesn’t take long at all
    -Really enjoyed working with pretty much all of the other student workers
    -Very flexible scheduling. They will work around your class schedule and are understanding if you need to miss a shift due to an excessive homework workload.

I worked multiple on campus jobs during my time as a student and this was by far the best experience.

Cons

-Relatively low pay, but for a student worker position that is to be expected.

-Can be boring on slower days, but there’s usually always something to keep you busy and the managers are good at finding stuff for you to do.

2. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Bethel University full-time

Pros

Great benefits! Tuition reimbursement, and 14 holidays annually. Plus 10-15 days of vacation and 3 personal days a year. Also, sick time is separate from vacation time.

Cons

Listen to employees, some have great ideas that could save money and increase Bethel's enrollment.

"Corrosive Environment"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students and the staff are fantastic. The community on campus is amazing. Coworkers are passionate and self sacrificial and they end up being used up and spit out.

Cons

Administration consistently hires poor leaders who in turn create corrosive and oppressive work environments unlike any company I’ve ever worked for. Here’s looking at you, Office of Advancement. More over, blatant sexism and favoritism exists. New male department heads with zero experience were paid more than seasoned female managers and directors.

The year I left, 7 other employees quit all citing the same issues. Bethel has yet to address the obvious concerns with morale.

Advice to Management

Yes, we all love Jesus. But when you hire leaders, you need to look at their relevant experience and ability to perform the core functions of the position. Not their church attendance record.

4. "Student worker"

I worked at Bethel University part-time

Pros

works around classes
    pays a good amount
    different experiences

Cons

Long hours
    fast paced work
    depending on the job you could miss lunch or dinner

5. "Resident Assistant"

Current Employee - Resident Assistant
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant

I have been working at Bethel University part-time

Pros

Bethel is a wonderful school and working as a Resident Assistant was a great experience. I grew in my leadership and organization skills, as well as my interpersonal communication skills. I got to build relationships with students and grew during challenging conversations. Overall a wonderful experience.

Cons

Not many cons, can be a lot to balance with school

6. "Chief Development Officer"

I worked at Bethel University full-time

Pros

Great people and environment. Working with the objectives of helping students is rewarding. There are many perks in a university environment if you enjoys the arts, work/life balance, education, etc.

Cons

Major adjustment to go from the corporate world to a non-profit, higher ed and faith based organization. Be prepared for the changes.

7. "Good gig"

Pros

fun, loving, christian, cool, nice

Cons

boring, easy, not challenging, long

8. "Web Services Student Manager"

Former Employee - Student Manager
    Former Employee - Student Manager

I worked at Bethel University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great coworkers, always work to do, but nothing overwhelming.

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning. Working there was great.

"Faculty"

Former Employee - Professor
    Former Employee - Professor

I worked at Bethel University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pockets of faculty are professional.

Cons

Deans and VPs lack the skills and knowledge needed to perform with competence. Their incompetence continues to lead to devastating decisions and impact on people and programs.

Advice to Management

Overhaul top management

"Adapting to changes: Bethel is different than it used to be."

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Bethel University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, fairly flexible work environment and good benefits. Some room for advancement for high performers. Great professors and access to courses and degrees as an employee. Bethel gave me space to grow as an employee and a leader.

Athletics are amazing at Bethel. Bob Bjorklund is a great leader who continues to improve what Bethel is doing with athletics. Without the huge rosters athletics now has, Bethel's enrollment would be in big trouble.

Cons

In 2008, Jay Barnes took over Bethel University in a time of transition. He replaced George Brushaber who lead the school for two decades. Jay inherited a looming financial crisis and a non-sustainable budget. Jay had a lot of good ideas coming in, and has implemented many of them while negotiating a huge financial crisis. (The gap between average household income and the cost of a college education)

Jay has relied on a few Senior Vice Presidents, and over the years only one is left from the beginning - Joe LaLuzerne. Joe wields incredible influence over all things Bethel, and it is interesting that the highest degree he holds is a Bachelor's degree. I think this has always rubbed the PhD faculty the wrong way and limits Joe's influence over that faculty. Joe is smart and has lots of good ideas, but things seem to take forever to get implemented.

Take the Seminary part of Bethel for example. Jay wanted to work on the seminary since he took over in 2008. Instead of making bold changes and combining the seminary with the other schools, the seminary has been gutted slowly over time - dying the death of 1,000 cuts. Now, in 2017, they are still debating combining the seminary with the other schools, why has it taken so long? The seminary is half of what it used to be.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring consultants when you have issues. How much have you spent on consultants over the past 10 years? You have talented people, you don't need more consultants telling you what to prioritize on.