Bethel University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • The tuition benefit is excellent (in 5 reviews)

• Tuition benefit (100% free tuition for employees, large tuition discounts for family members) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Where to start, they went to a more corporate work environment and being Christian is in name only (in 5 reviews)

• Youth and tech skills are promoted to the detriment of ethical and honorable treatment of mid and late career staff and faculty (in 2 reviews)

1. "Snow Crew Student Worker"

I have been working at Bethel University part-time

Pros

Good team building.
    Nice workout in the morning.

Cons

Early mornings can be tough.

2. "All of Bethel's departments are excellent"

I have been working at Bethel University part-time

Pros

The atmosphere, many connections, and secure jobs

Cons

Not much room to move up in the heirarchy.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing and stick to your roots.

"Lost its way. Promoting those who compartmentalize their faith. Age discrimination is real."

I have been working at Bethel University full-time

Pros

Some fine people in faculty and staff positions.

Cons

Leaders at various levels seem to compartmentalize stated beliefs versus actions and set aside ethics when choosing between personal gains for their careers and making ethical choices. Young faculty willingly participate in these activities. Youth and tech skills are promoted to the detriment of ethical and honorable treatment of mid and late career staff and faculty.

Advice to Management

An honest look at middle and upper management is needed. Why are people let go or retained, sidelined or promoted? Is it due to skill and wisdom or to cleverness in following emerging leaders who lack a consistent moral or Christ-like compass?

5. "Student Lab Technician"

I have been working at Bethel University full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere on the campus area

Cons

Private school therefore relatively high price as a student

6. "Great Work Environment, Low Compensation"

Current Employee - Mid-Level Management
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Management

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The community, coworkers, and students are amazing. In a small to mid-sized institution there is a lot of room for your professional growth. There have been some good changes at Bethel in the last couple years.

The faith environment at Bethel seems to be a mix of balancing biblical truths with critical questions.

The tuition benefit is excellent. Insurance is good.

Overall the great work environment seems to make up for the lower compensation. Staff and faculty support each other and care well for students. It's a great community to be a part of.

Cons

Compensation at Bethel is lower than industry standards. Retirement benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Employee benefits and tuition needs to be reviewed - it's a significant reason why many staff don't persist.

"In a downward spiral"

I have been working at Bethel University full-time

Pros

departmentally there are some outstanding people, who would excel anywhere

Cons

upper leadership is uncommunicative, not well suited to their responsibilities, and indecisive; the school has lost sight of its values and treats employees abysmally (financially and otherwise)

Advice to Management

the rate of turnover is already alarmingly high, and is likely to accelerate. Start paying attention to people and their needs

"Not a Christian work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initially before the massive layoffs this was a great place to work. They encouraged royal care and promoted going to chapel as an employee.

Cons

Where to start, they went to a more corporate work environment and being Christian is in name only. They had numerous layoffs during my time there and several vice presidents left the university. Management has ignored employees requests to change back the work culture to what Bethel was and I would say that is a huge reason they have turnover now. Bethel is more like political correctness and only Christian in name only. There are a lot of hires here based on people being favorites versus actually having skills. For example, everyone knows in the university the manager of the bookstores has their favorites and if you are not a favorite you are treated like garbage, especially if you are a child of one of the bookstore staff. Some departments are good some have turnover constantly.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be completely overhauled.

"Mid- level director"

I worked at Bethel University full-time

Pros

Working with adult students is fulfilling.

Cons

The bureaucracy of senior leaders.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites. Think things through before making final decisions.

10. "Great place to work but pay is inadequate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working culture, benefits, etc. One of the best perks is the free tuition for full time, benefits-eligible employees and the tuition discount for their dependents.

Cons

Unless you're using the free tuition benefit, the pay is really too low, and there are not enough career advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

While job satisfaction is not solely linked to salary, that is more true once an acceptable salary has been reached. Employees should be paid more in general, and then given appropriate raises to reward high performance.

11. "Student Worker"

Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Bethel University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff were kind and helpful in training me and getting me used to the job. There were some training opportunities for professional development. There was a $0.30 pay raise for every year working on the job. I was able to be a little flexible with my hours if work interfered with studies. I felt like I was a part of the institution and took pride in doing my best at my work.

Cons

Work load wasn't always consistent. Sometimes there were projects and tests to grade and other times there was hardly anything to do.