Bethel University Reviews in Saint Paul, MN | Glassdoor

2.8
Bethel University President James H. Barnes III
James H. Barnes III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, with understanding leadership (in 4 reviews)

• Bethel like mentioned below does have some great people working there (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Where to start, they went to a more corporate work environment and being Christian is in name only (in 5 reviews)

• Youth and tech skills are promoted to the detriment of ethical and honorable treatment of mid and late career staff and faculty (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work but pay is inadequate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working culture, benefits, etc. One of the best perks is the free tuition for full time, benefits-eligible employees and the tuition discount for their dependents.

Cons

Unless you're using the free tuition benefit, the pay is really too low, and there are not enough career advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

While job satisfaction is not solely linked to salary, that is more true once an acceptable salary has been reached. Employees should be paid more in general, and then given appropriate raises to reward high performance.

"Not a Christian work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initially before the massive layoffs this was a great place to work. They encouraged royal care and promoted going to chapel as an employee.

Cons

Where to start, they went to a more corporate work environment and being Christian is in name only. They had numerous layoffs during my time there and several vice presidents left the university. Management has ignored employees requests to change back the work culture to what Bethel was and I would say that is a huge reason they have turnover now. Bethel is more like political correctness and only Christian in name only. There are a lot of hires here based on people being favorites versus actually having skills. For example, everyone knows in the university the manager of the bookstores has their favorites and if you are not a favorite you are treated like garbage, especially if you are a child of one of the bookstore staff. Some departments are good some have turnover constantly.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be completely overhauled.

"Part Time Worker"

Current Employee - Ticket Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Ticket Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment was very friendly and helpful in learning my tasks. My supervisor came alongside me and helped me until she was sure that I knew how to do everything and was confident in working independently.

Cons

Because I was just a part-time worker, there was really no room to move up.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to simply continue what they are doing. The work atmosphere there is awesome, so there isn't really anything to change.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University (More than a year)

Pros

there are that many pros

Cons

bad management, nepotism galore, reckless

Advice to Management

replace them all

"Poor morale, low pay, and no room for advancement"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In my role I have very little supervision and my current boss is very trusting for me to just do the job and do it well. There are great friends for life and love the student energy and working for them.

Cons

Very low pay. Literally every person in my department freelances or has a second job. One lady has three jobs! I've personally been in meetings with executives who when told about low employee morale respond by saying, "everyone is free to leave at any time." The Cabinet and ELT do not care about people. It has become very "corporate" and less Christian workplace -- which is why they suddenly stopped earning the "Best Christian Workplace" award for the last 6 years.

Advice to Management

The president is so nice but the people around him can't be trusted. His leadership team is lame. Except the Campus Pastor -- she rocks but is given little influence on employees which needs to change.

6. "Great benefits and values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bethel is Christian environment where the staff reflect a desire to serve and honor Christ. Chapel is encouraged for everyone including faculty and staff. Very good medical and dental benefits with generous vacation and PTO time. Excellent dining onsite at a price that is hard to beat. Great tuition benefit as well.

Cons

Management seems to make decisions with minimal input from faculty and staff. With such a highly skilled staff, Bethel needs better avenues to solicit the advice of their employees. Wiser decisions can be made when one seeks wise council. The pay is often lower than what one can get in the public sector.

"Student Life Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with great students and have an opportunity to provide leadership in lower level positions on campus. There is a lot of flexibility in schedule.

Cons

Bethel compensation is on the extreme low end and there is no flexibility. Human Resources has been very challenging to work with, unclear orientation left several employees during my hiring period in the wrong pay schedule. Living on campus is challenging with a family and a number of on campus employees have been sick throughout their tenure. You are on call 24/7.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees through career development opportunities, fair compensation, and professional mentorship.

"Associate Professor"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summers off, several major holidays off

Cons

Incredibly unprofessional. Literally nobody is trained for their job. The worst management I have ever seen in my career. Very, very political. Sexual and racial harassment is commonplace, but ignored since the perpetrators are personal friends of management. Incompetence and nepotism abounds. Unbelievable that they carry on the fraud of being a Christian institution.

Advice to Management

The corruption in management is a well-known secret. You need to clean house.

"For a Christian College very negative work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made some very good friends working there. When I started moral was really good and there were years of experience in key positions. Tuition benefit makes working there worth dealing with other frustrations.

Cons

Where to begin. There were several layoffs during my time there. What killed moral at Bethel was so many people took less pay to work in a "Christian" work environment only to be laid off or take massive pay cuts. During my time several, not just a couple, vice presidents up and quit. There would be more negative reviews on this site. However Bethel made people sign agreements where they could not go online and speak their minds when given a layoff package/early retirement. There are so many people at Bethel that I know that are job hunting and wanting to leave this place. All Bethel cares about is their image, it is like pharisee central there. There are many here who cannot wait to leave...

Advice to Management

Get a clue... People are going to keep leaving this place if you do not promote the culture you speak about.

10. "Admissions Counselor"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor - CAS in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor - CAS in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bethel is an amazing place to work. Christian environment with great people all around. We work for a big and important mission of educating maturing adults to impact God's kingdom.

Cons

Sometimes working in a faith environment can make you complacent in your faith. Also, the academic setting is extremely slow to make change for the better.