Better Business Bureaus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mary Power

Pros
  • The work-life balance has been amazing as well as the people I have worked with (in 13 reviews)

• Very supportive work environment where employees feel valued (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth and innovation (in 9 reviews)

• I am no longer being challenged further and find there is no room for growth (in 14 reviews)

1. "Supportive Coworkers, Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DuPont, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DuPont, WA

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone feels like they're part of the team--very encouraging and friendly. The company encourages work-life balance by giving us a flexible schedule, wellness reimbursement, etc. So much opportunity to grow here.

Cons

People sometimes complain that the wages are too low, but BBB is a not-for-profit and they pay competitively for the industry. You should be in it for the mission, not to get rich. And whatever is lacking in salary, they more than make up for it with great culture and benefits.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing, and remind us about our mission.

2. "No Place for an Idealist"

Former Employee - Standards Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Standards Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and good 401K matching %

Cons

Way too high of an individual workload compared to the hourly pay. Unrealistic job expectations. Very high turnover, so no one was very well-trained or experienced. The more experienced people in upper management had an attitude of "Hey, I stuck around long enough to fight my way up here so I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore, so don't bring your issues to me." Plus, BBB may market itself as a caring non-profit organization, but the location I worked for was very sales driven and would often violate their own policies to make or retain a sale. Our office was absorbing smaller surrounding offices at such a fast rate that our workload was spiraling out of control.

Advice to Management

Hire the necessary people so your departments are at full strength to spread out the workload instead of dumping it all on 1-2 people and then just watching them burnout and quit. Concentrate on ethics instead of sales. Pay people a living wage, and if someone has a college degree and several years office experience they should be making more than someone else in their department with no degree and no experience.

3. "Great team of professionals."

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The commission and bonus structure is extremely generous. Mon thru Fri 8-5 with all major holidays off. Because the job itself entails contacting businesses to invite them to join the BBB, you get the opportunity to interact with the business owners of small, local companies as well as CEO's of large, multi-national companies.

Cons

Working in the Business Development department is a strictly commission based position and so the upside of that is that the income potential is unlimited, but the downside is that if you don't produce, then you make no money which can be stressful and intimidating.

Advice to Management

Always appreciate your top sales producers

5. "Overview"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work - good people - great boss

Cons

No cons. Good place to work

6. "Complaint Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to meet interest people from different colleges and ethical background. Most importantly you gain experience on how companies interact with consumers while learning ways to protect yourself as a consumer within the marketplace.

Cons

There is no room a growth for entry level employees

Advice to Management

Promote people within the company

7. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Better Business Bureaus (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked working with the other interns and doing different tasks for my job.

Cons

I didn't like how I got work.

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "District Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% commission of all Accreditation.

Cons

Cut throat sales mentality.

Advice to Management

Don't be so cut throat.

9. "Avoid, avoid, avoid!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you can be a remote employee or work in the NY office you are more likely to have a pleasant experience, PTO is generous. There are good, capable people who work here, but it is overshadowed by the weak link at the top.

Cons

The CEO Mary Power is inept, facilitates distrust & makes the work environment unnecessarily stressful. There is no accountability. Favoritism runs deep. Communication is confusing, unclear and anything but transparent. Relationships with BBBs are strained at best. Funding model is not sustainable. GOOD PEOPLE ARE LEAVING IN DROVES

Advice to Management

My advice is to the board: fix this problem.

10. "Need a job? Keep looking!"

Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work itself was simple. Only other positive thing is this job is a starting point if you have no experience working in an office setting, since you have nowherr to compare it to.

Cons

A ton of downtime. The pres doesn't care about any of her staff - just herself and her statistics. VP does anything she can to suck up to the pres, so won't say what she's thinking, making her another worthless tool. Pay is low and there is no room for advancement. Raises are close to nothing. Very minimal vacation time. If you quit and have PTO days left: you lose them. After leaving this job to go to another, I realized how terrible this place really was. Accredited businesses really do pay for their ratings and to have complaints removed, despite what you're told. Complainants are the absolute worst people as well.

Advice to Management

Respect your team. Attempt to learn what your staff members actually do. Come out of your office and get to know people and stop worrying about only yourself.

11. "Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time

Pros

There really are not any

Cons

Management, management, management, management, management, management,