Better World Books Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Miller

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Mishawaka, IN

Pros

Generous vacation; Independent work environment

Cons

Transparency is lacking; Little opportunity for growth; Little training for ambitious employees;

Advice to Management

Management is young and inexperienced. They should be allowed to learn more management skills and techniques in a college setting. Promotional opportunites should be based on credentials. The most hard working and educated should have the opportnities to move up within the company. Management should be more truthful with employees. Deception and lying will be exposed. Reviews should be performed much more regularly. That is, at least, once every six months if not more frequently.

"Poor experience that got worse with each managerial decision"

I worked at Better World Books full-time

Pros

You are able to cash out excessive personal time off for eighty cents on the dollar. They also provide you donuts on payday.

Cons

Difficult to take time off because various managers do not frequently approve vacation requests, even months in advance. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Begin to thoroughly interview your prospective employees and inform them what type of atmosphere they will be joining.

"Better World Books Warehouse Associate"

I worked at Better World Books full-time

Pros

Met a lot of interesting people, one can work on their own without having someone breathing down their back constantly. The break room is also quite nice, has a pool table and sofas/loveseats as well as typical tables and chairs, there is also computers so employees can get online during breaks/lunches.

Cons

Very dirty place to work in. There are nests of black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders in the warehouse. It is cold in the winter and hot in the summer (no a/c). The management treats people like they are slaves and their opinions don't matter. A mandatory 50 hr work week at the pay rate of $9.00 an hour and raises are very stingy (being maybe .03 cents to .05 cents). The management also uses intimidation tactics to make people sign their names to new policies that they want to enforce. The building is also falling apart, the roof constantly leaks, there is insulation falling out of walls and ceiling all over the place, holes in the cement floor in the warehouse and some blackish looking mold creeping up the side of the north end of the building. And there are only 6 bathroom facilities, of the 6, only two (a men's and women's) are multiple stalls, the other four (men's and women's) are single toilet located in the front office. The toilets are loose off the ground, not screwed down, so they wiggle. Ceo came to visit once, never did see him talk to anyone except those in the office.

Advice to Management

Get the place cleaned up, big time. You are selling books, and if you actually look at the warehouse, it is covered in dust and dirt. There is a thick layer of dust or dirt on the books you sell. You also need to have that mold looked at, the insulation replaced and the roof replaced as well as the floors in proper repair. To get rid of the "revolving door" syndrome you have going on, pay employees a better wage, after all these folks are busting their butts working hard so you can sit on yours, and $9.00 and hour doesn't cut it for the amount and type of work being done. If you can donate millions a year to literacy funds, then you should pay your people better, after all, you have to take care of your own house before you can take care anyone else's. The 50 hour work weeks, those need to stop, or you won't get and keep quality people in there. May I suggest you go out to the warehouse and grab a book (there or may copies of this book, trust me.) called 7 highly effective habits of successful people. READ the book, and learn from it to run this company before you run it into the ground.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager/Executive in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager/Executive in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Better World Books full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company with great mission of supporting literacy around the world.

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for. Leadership is unethical and unprofessional. Overall stability and future of the company is questionable as there have been numerous layoffs, terminations, and voluntary employee resignations.

Better World Books Response

Sep 22, 2015 – Senior HR Generalist & Recruiter

We are sorry to hear of these concerns. We’re not aware of the exact incidents described, and we do our best to assure all of our team members have a positive experience. Please know that we ... More

6. "Life suckers"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Better World Books full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only good thing about this place is the awesome non management employees. The PTO is good and maybe the insurance.

Cons

High turnover rate! Books are covered in human waste and no one in management cares. Overworked and underpaid. Lots of dust and bugs as well.

Advice to Management

This place needs a lot of work!! Treat your employees better and maybe it would get better working at Better World Books.

7. "Worst place I've ever worked!!!!"

Former Employee - Shipping/Scanner in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Shipping/Scanner in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Better World Books full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of other great ppl to work with & short distance to travel. The office personal are helpful & friendly.

Cons

Constant quantity over quality, despite what they tell you! Hours changed on minutes notice & you ARE expected to work them!!! They say paid holidays, yeah, but what they don't tell you is that if there is a "paid holiday" they expect you to work at least 10 hours a day, the rest of the work week WITHOUT overtime pay!! They act like they're doing the employee a "favor" : example: July 4 falls on a Thursday, they make you work until all orders are complete 8+ hours on July 4, but they're going to "let" you have Friday off, thus giving you a 3 day weekend instead of the actual holiday to spend with your families!! They don't look at "what" you do, rather "how many numbers" you have! Pay raises are a joke!! They were "laying" ppl off & hiring new employees in the door at the same time!! Even if you're considered a "full time" employee, you aren't guaranteed a "set" schedule. I felt like I was a "slave" laborer!! The more you gave the more they wanted & expected. No, maybe the bosses aren't standing "over" you breathing down your neck, but with their "Time & Task" login system, believe me, they ARE standing over you & breathing down your necks!!! Sure doughnuts are a nice thing, Bull walks, Money talks, give me a pay raise that'll make a difference & last a lot longer than that doughnut!! While working here full time 40 + hours a week, I still qualified for food stamps!! If you call in, they automatically use one of your vacation days, however, they also give you a point. They sound good, but that's as far as I'd go!!

Advice to Management

Take a good look at the dedicated, hard working employees, & appreciate their dedication & hard work!! Give employees their paid off holidays, not those that just remember to request them off well in advance!! Pay your employees & show them you appreciate them!!! Your "X" amount of numbers, whether in scanning, shipping etc. is not ALL that should count!! Many ppl, especially older ppl, don't work as fast as others, thus have the constant "numbers" hanging over their head, constantly being fearful & threatened over losing their jobs!! Instead of being just another "quantity over quality" place, try looking at each person as the "individual" that they are & respect them for their positive contributions, not just how many numbers per hour they can do!! Treat & respect employees as you wish to be treated!!

8. "None"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, MI

I have been working at Better World Books (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice enough people work with

Cons

Recent poor management behavior. Lack of care

9. "High Turnover!"

Former Employee - SHIPPING SPECIALIST in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - SHIPPING SPECIALIST in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Better World Books (Less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of books.

Cons

They only give you 60 days to get up to speed.

Advice to Management

They should give at the very least 90 days to get up to speed.

10. "to each his own veiw point"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Better World Books full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great co-workers, casual dress code

Cons

Long hours not worth the pay, lots of Overtime.

Advice to Management

reevaluate your goals with employee morale.

11. "Pretty meh"

I worked at Better World Books full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission behind the business is great.

Cons

The company is a little short-sighted and reactionary, rather than at the forefront of anything.