Better.com Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.3
Better.com CEO Vishal Garg
Vishal Garg
Pros
  • "Better puts a big emphasis on not only attracting top talent but retaining top talent (covered lunches & dinners & unlimited PTO)(in 24 reviews)

• "Best work environment of all other big companies in the same sector(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There is zero work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• "I feel night shift can be problematic for some(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

I feel valued as a person and what I'm doing matters

Jul 15, 2020 - Loan Consultant Associate (Sales Associate) in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked a lot of sales jobs where it feels like you have to try to sell the other person on the other end even if it doesn't make sense. That would never fly here. The job functions may be similar to other sales jobs as far as making calls for applicants and speaking on the phone but it feels totally different. You're either helping people save a ton of people refinancing their homes or helping people buy a house. The company is forward thinking and management does not skate by with blanket statements regarding our company and even the state of the world right now. They speak with us monthly to make sure as stakeholders we know where we are and where we are going. I feel like we're really helping change people's lives all while wearing sweatpants at home until the office opens back up. Feels like I'm really being taken care of during a time with the most uncertainty possible across the country. My first day I walked in and was overwhelmed by how intelligent, diverse, and hard working everyone in the room was. I haven't stopped being honored to work here since.

Cons

I started right before we moved to working from home, learning VIA zoom can be challenging but now that I have my groove I'm loving it. I haven't gotten to enjoy the social aspects of the office yet due to covid but so far so good.

9 people found this review helpful

Better.com Response

HR Associate

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re so glad to hear your experience with Better.com has been a great one. We are always looking for ways to improve upon our training and onboarding and value your insight!

2. 5.0

Amazing

May 7, 2021 - Loan Consultant Associate in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, extremely welcoming

Cons

None, love the company no complaints

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Better has Ruined Me in the BEST Way

Apr 6, 2021 - Senior Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

*The People *The Product *The Learning and Development *The Culture * Unlimited PTO * The Virtual Daycare Program * Equity * I hear the office is beautiful (I've never been there) Better is honestly the BEST company I have ever worked for. When I say it ruined me, I mean that in the most positive way possible. I am not new to tech/start-ups, but Better really is in a league of it's own. I'm ruined because if I ever have to work at another company (which I hope I'm a Better lifer), I 100% will be comparing it to the standards of Better.com. From the L&D that is provided to all individual contributors to the front line manager trainings, growth is top of mind from the top to bottom. This company practices what it preaches, this is incredibly rare! I love that Better as a product is trying to make the mortgage industry less biased and more equitable, they are doing the same on the inside with 5,000 employees. I am so proud to work for a company that values diversity and embraces a wide range of experience. It's been just about a year and I'm just as in love as when I started. Better, please never stop being the best. Thank you for setting the bar really high!

Cons

A lot of Zoom Meetings (but that's par for the course in Covid times).

4. 5.0

Ride the wave!

May 5, 2021 - Closing Expert
      Business Outlook

Pros

Better is what you make of it. The opportunities are there. The growth is there. The work is there. It is not for the weak. They will test you and challenge you out the gate. It is rewarding if you commit. Be involved and network. Ask questions. Join groups. Work hard and you will get noticed.

Cons

The biggest con I see is work/life balance. I personally feel like the balance is great. You have to find your groove and understand what works for you. My main cons are the cutting of benefits and no current way to see how other departments operate.

5. 3.0

Rapidly Restructuring & Alienating Current Employees

Apr 27, 2021 - Loan Consultant Associate in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of opportunities to be involved in activism/networking within the company -Push towards diversity, inclusion, human rights -Some opportunities for internal movement/advancement -The ability for most to work/remain remote -Very helpful, kind, supportive teammates/colleagues -Decent pay, generous benefits + unlimited PTO -Provide training/education/licensing at no cost to employees

Cons

-Slowly restructuring to eliminate most of the benefits the employees enjoy -Massively misleading regarding culture/job satisfaction -Stressful work environment, with high-pressure stakes in first few months of employment -Severe struggles with work/life balance -Lack of transparency -Clear org changes that threaten compensation/mobility -Consistent "start-up" type of changes that at this stage in size/function severely impact employees -The LCA role specifically is an extremely unappealing job with high demands for metrics, a lack of apps to support performance, requirements for us to badger and harass clients, and overall poor job satisfaction until an opportunity for growth into LC becomes available.

12 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best mortgage company to work for!

Aug 28, 2019 - Senior Loan Processor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is my 3rd job in the mortgage industry and Better's company culture is by far the best I've been a part of. Yes, the free lunches, snacks, and other perks are amazing, but all of that aside, there is a collaborative work environment where opinions are valued, hard work is recognized, and at the heart of the company is innovation and hustle. The compensation is great and there are incentives available for high performers. Compared to processing positions at other companies, some of the more stressful aspects of the job are handled through automation or made easier with the help of support teams and departmentalization, so you're able to really focus on your job. There is continuing education available and management support is solid. You really feel as though you're part of something bigger here, and I would say there's much more transparency into your role in the business as a whole versus just feeling like you're pushing loans. Also, this is a fast-growing company, so there are a lot of opportunities to quickly grow within your role or within the company outside of processing. Career growth and exploring roles within other departments is openly discussed and encouraged.

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily call this a "con" but the fast growth does lead to continuously changing processes and being expected to learn at a rapid pace, so adaptability is important.

83 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

didn't believe it at first, but 7 months later this is a great company

Apr 4, 2021 - Loan Consultant Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's hard to believe a company when they tell you that they actually care about your growth and want you to succeed. As we have all probably worked at a place where this was a giant lie. But at Better this is actually true. The leadership at this company is great and they have proven to be super agile and progressive in terms of trying new things. With this combo, I am confident that this is a winning company. Thinking 5, 10, even 20 years down the road... the possibilities for where this could end up are endless.

Cons

Overall market is slowing down. Sales KPIs are wack and people hitting the kickers for the LCA role often are just cheating the system and not actually generating more revenue. I'm sure management will work on fixing that though... Also no 401k matching :(

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0

Headed Toward Disaster

Mar 22, 2021 - Processing Expert
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO (which will probably be adjusted shortly) Great Medical Benefits Competitive Base Salary Dependent on your manager but there is little micro management

Cons

- Constant changes and adjustments that are NEVER done for the betterment of their employees but instead solely for the customer and the public image. - You do not have voice unless you are senior leadership. They conduct surveys but don't seem to read them because nothing ever changes. - So concerned with the public image they forgot that the employees are the reason for a lot of the success - removed wfh lunch stipend / presented the fact that it was going to be cut in half but instead it was cut into 1/6th of the original amount and it was done so we have "more money for the customer" - every quarter if not month they find more and more ways for you to earn less

19 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It is all downhill

Apr 28, 2021 - Loan Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The benefits are great -Most of the people you work with -Company growth outlook -Gaining knowledge in the mortgage industry

Cons

-New CFO -Culture or more like the lack of it these days -Cutting employee pay and bonuses -Decrease in many benefits and cost cutting. -The consistent reduction in caring for employees well being -Constant hypocrisy from the higher levels in the company -There is a severe reduction in transparency of the company that is almost non-existent.

12 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great company but proceed with caution

Feb 22, 2021 - Processing Expert in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Better is a very inclusive workplace with a lot of great people. The pay is fairly competitive and the bonus structure is on the generous side. You’re given enough work to make the bonuses that are advertised and then some. It’s the right mixture of competition and teamwork. I never feel like I’m being plotted against or that anyone is out to get me as if we’re all winning then we’re all doing good.

Cons

When there are changes the communication is not always there. The workload is often unmanageable and you have to decide what is the most important and most visible issues to get to each day. For some people this can be really overwhelming. Additionally, most people you work with in other positions cannot or do not help. Decisions with files are mostly up to people with little knowledge and experience and almost every request has to be made at least twice to get resolved. The highest performers easily work 10-11 hours daily. You’re really not as in charge of your metrics as leadership would often like to believe.

7 people found this review helpful