KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.4
BetterHelp Founder Alon Matas
Alon Matas

Ratings by Disability

This rating reflects the overall rating of BetterHelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Betterhelp is great but can do better on compensation

Jun 16, 2021 - Therapist in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company if you are just starting out. There is no shortage of clients, however, the compensation is not at the level of a seasoned mental health therapist. It really feels like altruism, just giving back to the community as far as pay goes.

Cons

However, the compensation is not at the level of a seasoned mental health therapist. It really feels like altruism, just giving back to the community as far as pay goes.

4 people found this review helpful

Onboarding Specialist

Thanks for providing your feedback. We are glad you've found redeeming aspects of working on the platform and would be honored to see that continue!

2. 2.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Love the clients, pay is unfair and be prepared for limited support

Jul 7, 2021 - Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the clients. They are the reason I show up every day.

Cons

Pay is way too low. One of the things that is most insulting is BetterHelp does not pay you for no-shows or late cancellations even though they are getting paid. You can report them and on the second no-show/late cancellation, they’ll pay for a 15-minute session ( only a business would think that a counselor provides a 15-minute session). Keep in mind that you are working for a company that is out to make every penny they can and provides extremely limited support. You are an island on your own. Many counselors are leaving. Too bad. They could be a great company if they followed the model of amazing companies like BetterUp.

3 people found this review helpful

Onboarding Specialist

Thank you for providing this review. We are happy to hear you are enjoying the clients on BetterHelp. We understand the no-show and cancellation reporting feature is not always an equal comparison to some offline practice structures, and appreciate hearing your experience in this regard. We highly encourage you to engage in the clinical forum - we're aware this type of work can feel isolating and hope that this community can be a resource!

3. 5.0

Great Supplemental Work

May 26, 2021 - Licensed Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can make your own schedule and you can work as much or as little as you want. I am a stay-at-home mom so this job works perfectly for me as I can put my 1-year-old to bed and work through the later evening. Yes, I would probably make more in private practice, but Betterhelp takes care of client marketing and billing. I had my desired caseload in just two days, as well. I also make more on Betterhelp than I did working part-time at my last agency job, where true client interaction was often lost in miles and miles of paperwork. I am very grateful that this platform exists. I initially thought that I would work for Betterhelp for a few months, but I now see future full-time potential.

Cons

A client's first no-show is not compensated. Often times, these are individuals who do not give a first session a chance and they end up taking up slots that could go to people who are actively participating.

2 people found this review helpful

Onboarding Specialist

Hello! We so appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here. We are thrilled to hear that the flexibility offered at BetterHelp is congruent with your needs and would be honored to see your work here continue!

4. 3.0
    Current Contractor

Good and bad

Jul 20, 2021 - Therapist in Huachuca City, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Make your own hours and caseload, no insurance or diagnosing

Cons

Pay is complicated and not at industry standards

2 people found this review helpful

Onboarding Specialist

Thanks for adding your experience here. We are glad to hear you've found some positive elements of your work here and we would be honored to see that continue.

5. 1.0

Don't Walk But Instead Run from this Organizatoon

Jul 14, 2021 - Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

The cons truly cancel out the pros.

Cons

1. The pay is so low. It is so wrong of this company to pay you what you are getting paid in comparison to the money that they are billing the clients. The work that you do as a therapist is so incredibly sacrificing and is based upon years of schooling and training. You should be compensated as a professional for what you do. You should be paid in such a way that you make a good living. You won't make a good living here. 2. The company has the clients rate you as if you are a customer service representative. This truly changes the manner in which the clients view and respect you. My suggestion at the very least is to avoid looking at your ratings as they shouldn't be there to begin with. I personally will not engage in looking at these scores. I give these clients all that I have for what sometimes amounts to just over minimum wage so the last thing that I need to do is read these reviews. I have been providing counseling for 20 years. It stands to make sense that not every client will want to work with you. 3. They will have you reach out to clients in between sessions. You will be hounded by the system to do so even when there is no reason to communicate with a client and places you in a situation of creating an awkward dynamic with your client. 4. You are forced to reach out to disengaged clients more than once. I have had a few clients who have disengaged and I have kindly reached out to them to share how they can put their membership on hold, discontinue their membership or even decide to work with another therapist. After doing this, BH tries to force me to reach out to them again. It would be very unprofessional and bordering upon "stalking" for me ro reach out again. But, if I don't reach out again, BH will threaten to prevent me from getting any new clients which at this point is fine as I do not want anymore of their clients as I know that working for a rate that pays a mere fraction of what I am getting paid cannot go on any longer. (The company just received a one million dollar donation but of course they wouldn't feel like they should pay its therapists anymore as a result of receiving such a donation.) The bottom line: you are doing one of the most giving and self sacrificing jobs that you could ever do which required a great deal of training and education on your part. So, you deserve to be well compensated so that you are not only able to pay your bills but instead you are actually able to provide a nice life for yourself. Don't settle for a company that exploits and demeans you.

Onboarding Specialist

We hear your concerns, and appreciate the time you took to write this review. We are grateful to understand your perspective a little better. We hope our platform can continue to push boundaries within the mental health field by integrating perspectives like yours. It is certainly not our intention to come across as 'big business,' and we strive to challenge ourselves to show up better for both our clients and clinicians. We are sorry to hear that you feel exploited, as this is certainly the opposite of our mission. We do not take this feedback lightly and hope you can find fulfillment in this field that does not include feeling demeaned or exploited. You work extremely hard and we hope to be able to meet or exceed that same dedication in the way we show up for our providers. Thank you again, for your continued contributions to this ever-important field.

6. 4.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Flexible, nice platform, modest pay

Jun 16, 2021 - Therapist in Peoria, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Platform is user-friendly, training was simple and effective

Cons

Compensation is not commensurate to my experience, gradually increasing rate based on hours worked

Onboarding Specialist

We appreciate hearing more about your experience here. We're happy to hear you've found the platform user-friendly and do hope to see you continue contributing to the community!

7. 3.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Flexible hours, poor pay

Jul 15, 2021 - Therapist in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours easy to use system easy to adjust schedule and work as little or as much as you want

Cons

Poor pay not competitive pay no benefits

Onboarding Specialist

Thanks for sharing your experience here! We recently added a wellness stipend to support clinicians in paying for their health needs, and we encourage you to reach out to our support team to learn more. Thank you for your contributions to this healing community. We wish you well!

8. 1.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Exploits therapists

Jul 11, 2021 - Behavior Therapist in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job provides flexibility and autonomy

Cons

Horrendous pay. Totally unethical. Has thousands of clients waiting to be matched with a therapists, but not enough therapists to provide treatment. Pays per word of spoken or written text to client. Can make more money working at Costco per hour.

Onboarding Specialist

We appreciate the time you spent providing services on the platform, and also your perspective here. We are sorry to hear that the pay was not sufficient for your needs and understand that this will be the case for some providers. Our intent is to increase care while also empowering clinicians to be able to more effectively show up as providers by removing some of the financial, insurance-related, and overhead cost barriers. We will not get this right for every situation, and your experience helps us illuminate ways we can improve in our efforts!

9. 4.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.temporary-former

Job

Jun 24, 2021 - Therapist in Caldwell, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, great experience, good communication

Cons

insurance may not cover the costs

Onboarding Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We are honored to hear you've found rewarding aspects of working on the platform and do hope to see that continue!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Making the world a better place.

Apr 6, 2021 - Senior Therapist Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A mission that makes waking up and getting at it very easy. Amazing leadership from the top down. Part of a larger organization but feels like working for a fast-growing start-up.  Very generous company. Colleagues are smart, ambitious, and all-around great people.

Cons

Lots to do and not enough hours in the day to get everything done. But when you love what you do, it's all about having proper work boundaries.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 57 Reviews