Cover image for BetterUp

Found 250 of over 346 reviews

4.2
BetterUp Co-founder and CEO Alexi Robichaux
Alexi Robichaux

What people are saying about BetterUp

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Amazing people, leaving the company was difficult because I was surrounded by people who weren’t just colleagues but friends.(in 42 reviews)
  • "Amazing Culture(in 24 reviews)
  • "Great leadership, product, vision, pay(in 19 reviews)
  • "Most colleagues are great(in 15 reviews)
  • "Great Benefits(in 12 reviews)
Cons
  • "pay is very low for contract coaches(in 7 reviews)
  • "This is a key reason why bad managers continue to work at the org, and why incompetent people are promoted into the wrong roles.(in 3 reviews)
  • "I have no psychological safety with my manager, and I am not the only one who feels this way.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Lack of transparency throughout the different parts of the sales org, and big changes being made that directly affect your financial wellbeing were communicated very ineffectively.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Compensation is fair.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of BetterUp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing Company

Nov 24, 2022 - Senior Data Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and they care about their employees

Cons

growing start-up pains. they need to balance product with engineering as it's still very product heavy at the expense of engineering

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Opportunity of a lifetime

Nov 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have grown both as a person and professional through my time here at BetterUp. The fact that we all get a team of personal coaches to help us through the challenges of both life and work has been so transformative for me. More so, working with people who all have access to a coach creates an environment where I truly feel I can be open with my co-workers without judgment and a cool bond that comes from us all being on a personal growth journey. I have been able to take on multiple different roles and learn/accomplish more than I thought I could in such a short amount of time. One of my favorite parts of BetterUp is a process we call the Culture C's where the whole company goes through the data collected by our internal survey which has an almost 100% completion rate. People really care about the culture here and speak up when things aren't working then leadership makes commitments to do better -- and in my tenure here I have been so impressed by how quickly they act on the data. No company is perfect but I'm so glad that the leadership here recognizes that and is accountable!

Cons

Since we are a fast-growing company you kind of have to be comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty. Strategies shift and you have to shift along with it. It can be challenging if you aren't ready for that kind of environment.

3. Join the BetterUp team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Life changing work that is worth the effort

Nov 8, 2022 - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in Sandy, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is the first role in my career where I am selling a product that I can see is changing people's lives in a massively beneficial way. I love having conversations around coaching and what it can do to drive change for people and the businesses that we partner with. The culture, opportunities for growth, benefits, and compensation are some of the best I have ever seen from a Saas organization as well. I have an incredibly supportive leadership team that - specifically my AVP who I attribute much of my success to. The thing I enjoy the most is the amount of empathetic humans in the organization. My wedding took place this past summer and the team was so accommodating during a stressful time, truly forever grateful to them for their guidance and leadership.

Cons

The reality is even with the amount of success BetterUp has seen we are still proving out a new category to the market. With that comes a lot of changes and experimenting new things to see what works and what doesn't. It truly is a challenge and on the AE side it means you have to develop new strategies to get into accounts and there isn't a playbook that is handed to you that you can follow to find success. Things are still being built out and defined, you have to put in a lot of hard work to be successful here. There are a lot of people that find success and to me over the last almost year and a half the pros vastly have outweighed any cons.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Be the company and leaders you tell others to be.

Oct 19, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people, leaving the company was difficult because I was surrounded by people who weren’t just colleagues but friends. It’s an inspiring mission that BetterUp is working on and changing people’s lives. I would want to work at a company who is a customer.

Cons

Over my time at the company I was overlooking quite a few things with rose colored glasses. With the sprint to an IPO and fundraising a lot of money that forced the company into unrealistic goals things are really getting toxic. First, if you are starting as an SDR here don’t. There is no career path for you, it’s not a priority to build pathways either. Second, the core product is good but all the big bets have fell flat because the concepts were half baked. This has added pressure to other sales units to pick up the slack. Most territories that aren’t coastal regions a majority of reps are seriously missing their huge quotas. These aren’t reps who aren’t passionate or excellent at what they do. Regions have overhired and there just isn’t enough demand. Also, other offerings are catching up in capability and are more flexible, affordable, and easier to do business with. There is a reason for the mass exodus, it’s not just a few bitter people.

18 people found this review helpful

BetterUp Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is concerning to us, as this is counter to our commitment of fostering growth and enablement for everyone at BetterUp. You note that you are no longer an employee, but if you feel comfortable, we invite you to please connect with us directly to elaborate further on your experience. Our HR team would be grateful for the opportunity to connect as we continuously work to improve our organization. - The BetterUp People Team

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Company that Challenges You in the best way

Oct 26, 2022 - Recruiting
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at BetterUp for almost a year and I can honestly say it's the best place I've ever worked - everyone you work with lives the values of the company, and it makes me feel understood and connected, even in a remote environment. Pay is great, lots of work life balance benefits (paid volunteer days, inner work days, company week-long paid holidays, FTO, sick leave, etc.) Option to have different work collaboration space memberships if you're in an area without an office.

Cons

You will hear people say "its the most challenging job I've ever loved" and that couldn't be more true. It's a start up - you have to be a builder and comfortable with ambiguity. It can be overwhelming, but if you take care of yourself and find comfort in the chaos of a start up it's incredibly rewarding. They're still figuring everything out on the path to IPO and things change a lot. You won't join and have the answers and processes built out perfectly here, but this can be a pro and really gives you a lot of autonomy. Really easy to not have work life balance if you don't have boundaries in place for yourself.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Reviews are pushed to new hires in the first few weeks - READ the ONE star reviews, please

Oct 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The concept and the mission is great, in theory. Until the IPO goals start creeping in,

Cons

Read the one star reviews. The reason I put 5 stars is because BetterUp asks new hires (honeymoon phase) to rate the company in the first few weeks. I suspect if you weeded those out, this company would be 2 stars or worse.

18 people found this review helpful

BetterUp Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us - we take this kind of feedback seriously. As an organization, we are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce that contributes to a culture of belonging at BetterUp. We know how important this is for employee well-being and connection. As a current employee, if you feel comfortable doing so, our HR Team invites you to share more details about your experience. We want to better understand your perspective so that we can make improvements accordingly. - The BetterUp People Team

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Happy - On my own terms

Nov 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I am happy to say that they not only allow you to have the time needed to have a work life balance that works for me, they equip me with resources, industry experts and formulas for my personal best performance. I have more than one coach to support and open my eyes to new goals and opportunities. My experience with leadership is positive. They're encouraging of self-care and prioritize the employee as a human with human value and potential from the top down.

Cons

Plenty of changes and some uncertainty as a young company in an economy that is itself, uncertain.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Still the best job I've ever had

Oct 24, 2022 - Area Vice President of Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Our product actually changes people's lives and the narrative in business around the intersection of developing your people, performance and well being. The team here is inspired and inspiring. They're also great to work with and committed to a vision that helps bring BetterUp's mission to as many people as possible. This is a passionate and hard working team. The amount of growth opportunity is huge. There are super talented people to learn from and everyone gets a coach! I feel like I've excelled as a result of working with my coach and it helps me maintain levels of growth and peak performance.

Cons

Selling a new product, in an early market is not easy. Learnings are fast, not every attempt is a slam dunk. Some fail. Pivots and failures are part of the journey. Change is a constant and some of the changes are stressful. The sales cycle is complex, multi stakeholder, long and needs to rooted at the exec level. That makes deals exciting but hard to execute on.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you're considering an AE role, be weary.

Oct 24, 2022 - Sales in Sioux City, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people. Access to a personal coach. Great work life. Depending on your region, your bosses are great and can create a great experience despite senior leadership.

Cons

There is a 5:1 AE to SDR ratio. Prepare to book your own calls with little support. There is only so much your regional bosses can do because the csuite and VP layer bark orders with little to no thought about how it gets rolled out. Recently had performance management scorecards which they positioned as "letting the AE org know where they stand" so we are not blindsided by layoffs. Sales turnover is HIGH. If you are interviewing ask them: 1) what % of AEs hit quota (it's around 20%) 2) what is the AE to SDR ratio (it's about 5:1) 3) what % of AEs make it to 1.5 years?

9 people found this review helpful

BetterUp Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please know that we take these concerns very seriously. We have an open door policy because we value employee voices as we continuously work to improve our organization. We care deeply about the success of all of our BetterUppers, including account executives. Being an account executive for a category creating company can be challenging, but it can also be incredibly fulfilling. It is true that as outlined in the job description, this role is required to build market awareness and generate net new business pipeline through strategic and creative prospecting techniques. As part of our sales onboarding process, we focus our training on the activities and behaviors we know have been proven to lead to market success. BetterUp leaders are expected to invest time coaching and developing each team member in the areas of the sales process and personal development that are most important to their individual success. As an organization, we have ambitious goals to positively impact millions of individuals to live with greater clarity, purpose and passion. We want to see you succeed and we invite you to share your feedback with your sales leader or HR business partner directly so we can support you. We are all on the same team and your candid feedback will only make us better.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Working hard on the best work of your life

Nov 8, 2022 - Software R&D Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Extraordinarily meaningful mission to work on human transformation at scale. *Co-workers are A+++ caliber, in smarts and personality. *Commitment to growing with readings, offsites, and self-development (including coaching for all, of course) *Recent leadership across R&D functions shows up with authenticity, experience and confidence. Sets a good tone and makes it more fun for all of us to work on hard problems together.

Cons

*Mission and value alignment with this type of opportunity space means people care about their work as more than a job. This can keep drawing you in, and the organization is still at the size where it feels very possible to change the world based on that one extra hackathon project...

Viewing 1 - 10 of 250 Reviews
</>Embed

BetterUp Reviews FAQs

BetterUp has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 346 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at BetterUp to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -11% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, BetterUp employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at BetterUp. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

76% of BetterUp employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated BetterUp 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at BetterUp to be benefits, senior leadership, career development and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with BetterUp Job Seekers