BetterWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Market Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at BetterWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and super smart team members that are passionate about the companies success. Even while still being small, the interest in the market is massive. Engaged with many Fortune 500 companies, many of which come to us inbound. We are solving a real need to help companies, help their employees reach their full potential at work. The company liberally rewards and puts incentives in place for performance.

Cons

Some distraction exists while the company fills a couple of critical roles, however, seems like we are close to resolving.

Advice to Management

We are all fortunate to be here. I would keep up the high level of communication and encourage some employees to work towards performing at their very best.

"Amateur night"

I worked at BetterWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some truly passionate people here who are dedicated, but most left

Cons

I am glad I left this place. After the departure of many senior staffs, the organization is now in disarray and many people are scrambling for the exit. Management has made it into a sweat shop. Since they are bleeding talent, they pretty much squeeze every living breath out of the remaining, making it modern slavery. There are many inexperienced people, this is their first or second job from another startup and they have no idea what experienced organization looks like. Stay away! Unless you're a nature born slave.

Advice to Management

Hire less and better people and pay them well and treat them fair

"Needs work"

I have been working at BetterWorks full-time

Pros

People are genuinely nice. I have a good work/life balance and I think many others do too. There is a good amount of fun to be had. I think there is a strong emphasis on trying to get better as a company and on an individual level but YMMV across teams.

Cons

Benefits are about par for the course. Definitely not great. This is the bay area. It should be a lot more than it is. Compensation is okay but a lot of employees have left for Big Names.

Eatclub and other provided lunches need to go away. No one likes them and I will never work at a company that uses them again. Should be a lunch stipend considering where the company is located.

Cross communication between departments is minimal even though it shouldn't be.

Management needs a lot of work. They're letting the company die.

Company has felt like it's been in a state of strong decline the last 6 months and has had quite a severe amount of turnover.

Work/life balance could easily get thrown into the wind if you aren't strong willed about it.

Everyone is using 5 year old equipment because the company is super cheap. Example of cheapness: They let the fridge be broken for about a month and had 2 super cheap folks come into attempt to fix it before replacing it with a much worse $300 one. The door had to fall off before that happened. It's embarrassing.

Really cheap culture from the top. It's starting to show in other areas. They're starting to hire more remote workers.

Feels like the company is about to implode as of recent or at least a couple teams. I expect a huge swath of people to leave in the next 2-3 months but many are hoping new leadership will fix things (read: it won't, met the guy).

Advice to Management

Hire leadership positions asap. It's destroying the company. Leadership, vision, and direction are missing. Stop being cheap - it's the bay; pay to play.

BetterWorks Response

Dec 5, 2017 – Chief Financial Officer

Thanks for your input and I’m sorry your experience has turned negative recently. We agree that our team is nice, it’s a fun place to work and that a good work/life balance is a shared value across... More

"Still a big opportunity with a bright future ahead"

I have been working at BetterWorks full-time

Pros

- The market opportunity is significant (a must have for every company!)
    - The product is highly differentiated in the market
    - Focused on diversity & inclusion (to the company's credit, there has always been a focus here - genuine and not reactive).
    - Highly collaborative work across all departments - marketing, sales, engineering, product, customer success, senior management, etc.
    - A lot of very smart, good people, committed to the employees and company success
    - Great benefits packages and overall employee happiness perks, including money for tuition reimbursement
    - The company, people, and the culture IS NOT what has been falsely portrayed in the press from last summer
    - A lot of amazing customers that get a lot of value from the product

Cons

- Press from the summer was a huge distraction for employees and the business
    - There are still some employees that choose to be a part of the problem than solution
    - Redwood City location is not ideal for employees living in SF but very convenient to Cal Train

"Fake reviews"

I worked at BetterWorks full-time

Pros

There aren't any, avoid this place

Cons

Beware of all the 'great company' reviews
    All the key personnel have left (sales, product)
    Stock options are probably going to be worthless soon

BetterWorks Response

Dec 5, 2017 – Chief Financial Officer

Thanks for your input and I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience with us. The CEO you refer to is no longer with the company. We feel we have special talent throughout the company, and we... More

"Avoid this company!"

I have been working at BetterWorks full-time

Pros

Great benefit package and office perks.

Cons

Creepy CEO and exec team who pretend that everything is fine despite a very public sexual harassment lawsuit. Lots of customer churn and even more employee churn. Depressing work environment.

"Software Engineer"

Pros

Transparent company culture with great values comprised of friendly, smart, and supportive teammates. Building a great product, with an excellent business opportunity and an absolutely elite board.

I have found BetterWorks to be an amazing place to learn and grow as an individual contributor. Engineers in particular have the opportunity to go deep technically, while going wide simultaneously by working across the stack. On top of that, the company actively encourages cross functional engagement with other areas of the business.

All that is on top of the perks: food🥙, transportation 🚅, beer🍺, game nights 🎲, happy hours 🎉, hackathons 👩‍💻 and more.

Cons

Fast paced start-up meens lots of change and some volitility.

Advice to Management

Keep on being transperant - don't hold back! Get the right leadership in place and lets get our heads down.

"Solid team, work culture and spirit"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at BetterWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm on the engineering team, but this really applies to all of our departments:

- Everyone here absolutely cares about their work, going the extra mile and is proactive in getting ahead on things before the situation calls for it, as well as just getting better at what they do in general. The teams here are extremely collaborative and transparent, as could be seen in department-specific Slack channels being indistinguishable from each other because everyone is in every other channel and actively contributing. (sometimes gets noisy, maybe not a good thing??) Most importantly, teammates are lively to work with and really care for each other. I don't get the sense that anyone is here "just because it's a job" at all.

- Relatively "flat" hierarchy, in that it is very easy to talk to C-levels and get your voice heard

- Lots of freedom and flexibility, easy to initiate projects as long as you have the willpower to drive it to the end

- Typical valley perks: catering, free drinks/snacks, Caltrain/parking passes, frequent company-wide activities

Cons

- Some management positions remain unfilled

- Because it's a relatively young company, some processes still feel ill-defined as we transition from a scrappy startup mentality

- Recent negative press has been distracting for everyone.

Advice to Management

- We all have a product wishlist but we need to prioritize correctly and recognize the resources we have
    - Move faster to fill the exec positions, we don't have luxury to wait forever for the perfect candidates

"Love the culture!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at BetterWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great people
    - Flexible hours
    - Awesome product

Cons

- Some turnover as the company is moving from SMB to larger stage of growth

Advice to Management

- Keep the sparkle going and overcommunicating with the team!

"great company"

Current Employee - Biz Ops in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Biz Ops in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at BetterWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great coworkers
    - Large market opportunity in HR 2.0 space
    - Free lunch and dinner
    - Company is agile
    - Software empowers modern and progressive performance management practices
    - A lot of transparency
    - Executive coaching available for managers
    - Lots of different type of company activities

Cons

Can't think of any cons

Advice to Management

Stay agile and customer focused