Big 5 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven G. Miller

Pros
  • Flexible hours and it's all very easy (in 34 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling (even in management) for your own personal needs (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Irregular hours, low pay, small chance for advancement (in 29 reviews)

• Nothing to bad about a part time cahier job (in 29 reviews)

1. "Eh."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Big 5 part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are flexible with hours if you're a student.

Cons

They don't care about their employees. They do something called "evaluations" that is a ranking system on how you've done the past year. If you get a good evaluation you get a 10 cent raise. I worked for the company as a part-time employee while I attended university full-time and I only ever got one 10 cent raise. I was making barely over minimum wage. They forced me to quit because I needed a month off for study abroad. I came back and got another part-time job that was also flexible with my school schedule and they paid starting (before the minimum wage went up) $10 an hour.

2. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Big 5 part-time

Pros

Great community of people at my particular store. Not a hard job.

Cons

Irregular hours, low pay, small chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay your part timers better.

3. "Store Manager"

Pros

you sell sporting goods so

Cons

No help from District/Regional Managers. Corporate office treats retail store employees like trash when you contact them for help.

5. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at Big 5 full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working with the employees.

Cons

Working and closing every holiday. Horrible raises. No room for growth.

6. "Only work here temporarily"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee

I have been working at Big 5 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Assistant managers are easy to work with. The store I work at is relatively easy flowing, not much customers so plenty of down time.

Cons

From the first day I started working the Store Manager was gossiping about how I didn't know what I was doing as if I worked in sporting goods previously. You stand in dress shoes for 8 hours a day without the ability to sit down unless you're on break even if there are zero customers in the store. They expect you to finish a whole checklist of tasks to do before your shift is over when there is not much time to get it done. The employee discount is terrible, you can use a coupon to get the same discount.

Advice to Management

It is a sporting goods company, allow employees to wear comfortable clothing. And stop being cheap, give employees a better discount.

7. "Big 5 Sporting Goods"

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Big 5 (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous employee discounts.
    Occasional sales contests were winning stores are treated to lunch/dinner.

Cons

While no experience is required for part-time non management positions, the amount of work is not consistent with the low wages.

"Disjointed Hierarchy, great coworkers"

Pros

Easy to get the job, coworkers at the store level usually are very enjoyable to work with, if you like sports and outdoors, you will like the products you sell, benefits package is average

Cons

non-competitive pathetic pay, the only full time staff is management and the occasional head cashier. The company in general, the higher up the chain you go, the less logical the decisions made are. The work-life balance of retail is extremely stressful. pay is so little that their retirement plan is useless.

Advice to Management

Up to the store management level, things seem to mostly make sense, but above that, it varies wildly, often we would have to bend over backwards to fulfill the wishes of corporate, all while being paid a pathetic amount, not nearly enough to properly live in the area considering the kinds of sacrifices we need to make for the company. The only reason why Big 5 can post profits year to year is because they basically can still afford to cut costs everywhere. Poor compensation for both full and part time staff and extremely rare and pathetic "raises" ('you have been an outstanding employee, heres a $0.05 raise!') are one major cause of low employee morale. The business mindset of corporate and the higher ups also is very archaic, good luck as a woman in this company, since you will be basically forced to wear uncomfortable and tacky-looking clothing all the time, and will rarely be considered for a sales position. They keep cutting hours and staff in general, and management is forced to work with very few hours, making the sales people often overwhelmed. Its only a matter of time before Big 5 starts slowly hemorrhaging money, not necessarily in the very near future, but there are signs already of discontent since managers are leaving in an alarming number, and the number of people hired on to replace them is dwindling. The suits at Big 5 need to learn, "adapt to the times, or die".

9. "Poor Corporate Staff"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Paradise Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Paradise Valley, AZ

I worked at Big 5 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easiest job you will ever work

Cons

Little to zero involvement from corporate staff. Pay is horrible for what they expect of you.

Advice to Management

Management is great, HR sucks.

"Don't get into management!"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Big 5 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Better discounts then most other retail jobs. Selling sporting goods can be fun until you get the people who don't want to believe what you are saying. Great medical and dental benefits for FT only.

Cons

Performance based raises don't exist for management! You can completely blow your year out of the water and have sales up 10% while another store could be down 10% and when it comes time for raises ( if you get one at all that year) you will end up getting the same $ amount increase. Plus store managers are required to work upwards of 55 hours during the holidays and yet are only being payed for 45. All in all big 5 is cheap and will always find a reason to not pay their employees wrong

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who are actually running your stores!!! There is no reason store management should have to work 6 days a week during Christmas!!! And pay them according to their performance not some unilateral pay increase!! And your supervisors shouldnt be driving company cars while your only paying your pt staff minimum wage. And stop pretending big 5 is some elite store. You are the corner convenience store of the sporting goods world so stop taking yourself so seriously.

11. "Sales Rep/Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Cashier in Stephenville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Cashier in Stephenville, TX

I worked at Big 5 (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers were stern, so the goals were completed daily.

Cons

A lack of modern management. Managers are trained to be stern and powerful. Don't get me wrong, the job was done successfully, but employee satisfaction isn't a top priority with Big 5.

Advice to Management

Adapt to modern times. No one wants to dress business casual to work a sales job that makes just above minimum wage. Relax a bit on the anarchy-style management.