KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Big Ass Fans Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2021

Found 150 of over 160 reviews

2.6
Big Ass Fans CEO Lennie Rhoades (no image)
Lennie Rhoades
Pros
  • "Beer fridge on days sales goal is hit, the people there actually care about you and your work life balance(in 16 reviews)

• "A very thermally comfortable work environment(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Culture of good old boys club, performance does not equate to advancement, recognition, or improved compensation(in 10 reviews)

• "Upper management is full of individuals who know nothing about the product or market for fans or lighting(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Big Fan

Feb 5, 2021 - Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well money is great

Cons

Rude customers complaints not nice

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

It used to be a good place to work

Jun 2, 2021 - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, able to use pto right away, good benefits

Cons

High turnover rate, instability in management. More of a focus on profit, not so much on employees

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not good. Beware.

Jun 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice facility to work in.

Cons

you will do the work of 3 people for a low low price of 1 person. They just pile on the work for you to do because they are understaffed in a lot of areas. They are understaffed because they work their people to death and don’t pay anyone a fair wage so people leave left and right. It’s toxic.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Take my advice and keep looking; its a toxic company

Mar 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) The products they manufacture and sell are actually very cool, high-end products. 2) There is (was) a lot of good talent there. People are attracted to the company for its uniqueness. 3) Free beer at work when sales goals are met. 4) On-site cafeteria with discounted lunch. 5) Its such a bizarre environment, it might actually be worth it if you're entry level, simply to have cool stories to tell.

Cons

1) Its not the company that it used to be. Founder sold out to private equity in 2017 and now its run by a panel of amateur executives. 2) The CEO truly doesn't know what he's doing. And he surrounded himself with "yes-men", so he has no clue he's ruining what was previously an awesome business. However, he is good at bragging about himself, using profanity, and firing people. When he eventually exhausts the brand name equity, the company is toast. 3) Its obvious that the people in executive leadership positions are there simply because they're friends with the CEO. Definitely not because of any talent. One can't fathom that these people actually have authority over a manufacturing operation like BAF. 4) People get fired on a regular basis, for little or no reason. So many people want to work at BAF, they literally can fire anyone at any time, and they do. Every 2 weeks or so, a group is shown out the door. It is so commonplace, employees there are just used to it. 5) If you last at BAF its because you made the right friends, not because you're the best at your job. The good 'ol boys club there is rampant. 6) Zero respect for long-time employees. While there I saw some loyal 10+ year employees fired simply because an executive didn't like them. 7) BAF is always beating the drum on engineering and innovation, which used to be true. But now all they do is private label other company's products and capitalize on the brand name. They gutted their engineering department to a point its a skeleton crew.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0

Used to be a good place

Mar 10, 2021 - Material Handler
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is decent. Colleagues are good

Cons

Benefits can be better than they are

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Toxic, no diversity, very close minded and backward thinking.

Feb 22, 2021 - Sale Specialist in Lexington-Fayette, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you aren’t in middle or senior management, you are a joy to work with. However, so many of these people get looked over and pushed under management that has no idea what they are doing.

Cons

There is no transparency, or blatant respect for the employees. Upper and even C suite employees don’t wear masks but strongly suggest that everyone come in. CEO uses offensive language, no matter the audience. If you are a minority, good luck getting respect.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Seems fun from the outside, but toxic workplace

Feb 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The company seems fun from the outside, but it was actually very toxic. I got hired pretty shortly after college graduation, so I didn't have a point of reference. - There was no structure whatsoever. Roles were changing on a weekly basis. There were constant layouts. (This could be due to the change of leadership that was happening at the time.) - There was little to no diversity. People of color were used as diversity tokens and would often get comments like, "you were hired because you're *insert ethnicity or nationality*." However, considering that this company is based in KY, I didn’t really have high expectations as far as diversity went. - The company is like a big fraternity. It is a normal day for us to get hit in the face by footballs or stress balls. They hire a lot of new graduates and they bring their playfulness to work. I had a love/hate relationship with this aspect of the company. It was fun until it got out of control. - During my time there, I would overhear inappropriate comments made by male colleagues about our female colleagues’ bodies. A supervisor I had for a short period of time asked me and my female colleague inappropriate questions. The leadership has changed since my departure in 2018. Despite my negative feedback, I truly think this company has great products and they’re lucky to have hired so many intelligent employees. Having this company on my resume has given me great opportunities since then, and I’m grateful for that and the lessons and career advice I gained from my time there.

Cons

- The company seems fun from the outside, but it was actually very toxic. I got hired pretty shortly after college graduation, so I didn't have a point of reference. - There was no structure whatsoever. Roles were changing on a weekly basis. There were constant layouts. (This could be due to the change of leadership that was happening at the time.) - There was little to no diversity. Being one of the few people of color, I was often used as a diversity token. I would get comments such as, "you were hired because you're *insert ethnicity or nationality*." However, considering that this company is based in KY, I didn’t really have high expectations as far as diversity went. - The company is like a big fraternity. It is a normal day for us to get hit in the face by footballs or stress balls. They hire a lot of new graduates and they bring their playfulness to work. I had a love/hate relationship with this aspect of the company. It was fun until it got out of control. - During my time there, I would overhear inappropriate comments made by male colleagues about our female colleagues’ bodies. A supervisor I had for a short period of time asked me and my female colleague inappropriate questions. The leadership has changed since my departure in 2018. Despite my negative feedback, I truly think this company has great products and they’re lucky to have hired so many intelligent employees. Having this company on my resume has given me great opportunities since then, and I’m grateful for that and the lessons and career advice I gained from my time there.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Great sales experience but lack of organizational structure

Jan 13, 2021 - B2B Commercial & Industrial Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great sales experience. Awesome cold calling tactics. Good sales leadership. Training on overcoming objections is solid

Cons

Organizational structure was off. Never knew directional approach. Cliquey. Lots of lay offs. Lack of job security

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0

lol

Mar 20, 2021 - Lohnbuchaltung Personal- Und Hospitalitymanagement
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team management is not so great

Cons

Lot of favoritism and politics

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Investment firm

Nov 30, 2020 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Used to have an amazing culture and challenges were handled fairly well as a group.

Cons

Purchased by an investment firm and the benefits have slowly been whittled away. Feels very corporate now.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 150 Reviews