Big Ass Fans Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 18, 2019

Found 85 reviews

2.8
Lennie Rhoades
Pros
  • "Open beer fridge at 5 pm when sales team hits a daily sales goal (fluctuates, but usually every 2-3 weeks)(in 13 reviews)

• "Cool product, good benefits, opportunity for promotion depending completely on who manages you(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The second type is members of the "good ol boys club"(in 7 reviews)

• "I have never seen upper management walk through the production area here and talk to the employees who keep this place going(in 6 reviews)

"Great Start"

Former Employee - Sales in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Big Ass Fans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This was a great place for me to develop and grow. There so many resources within this company, all you have to do is ask. There are no walls or barriers holding you back, you simply need the ambition. If you come in every day and put in the hard work you will be rewarded. Yes the company is gone through changes but you have to grow with the flow. Managers that are in place are here for a reason because they have the...

Cons

One piece of advice would be to help out the inbound volume. There's a lot on the Reps plates, and the amount of inbound given the seasonality is a lot and this can take away from a lot of the work that needs to get done and some reps can feel overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for those individuals that truly care about this company, when you recognize them take them under your wing. These are the seeds for greatness within that company that are still there.

Big Ass Fans2018-07-15

"Culture change"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Big Ass Fans full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great product practically sells itself. Employee perks. Teamwork and spirit to do a good job.

Cons

New ownership/upper management is without focus on the people or product. Culture has shifted to profit oriented only, creating unstable environment.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people 1st, get to know them, then the product and profits will follow.

Big Ass Fans2019-04-12

"Finance Anayst"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Big Ass Fans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and great people to work with.

Cons

Leadership doesn't know which direction to go and there are significant financial issues with processes and data systems.

Big Ass Fans2018-12-11
  4. "Ok"

I worked at Big Ass Fans full-time

Pros

Great people and opportunities if the right people in higher levels like you - fast paced

Cons

Promotion and retention is not based off of your ability, work ethic or results. Lessons learned may bring bad habits to another, normal, work environment.

Big Ass Fans2018-11-28
  5. "Manager"

I worked at Big Ass Fans full-time

Pros

The products and the people you work with

Cons

At the time it was the owner and the higher level management all just afraid of the owner.

Big Ass Fans2018-12-08
    • "Production worker"

I have been working at Big Ass Fans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Grear Co workers, great PTO benefits, generally relaxed culture.

Cons

Corporate is not as relaxed as it used to be. Unrealistic expectations about amount of parts we can manufacture

Advice to Management

Try being more realistic about what your workers can and cannot do.

Big Ass Fans2018-10-13

"Dumb fans"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Big Ass Fans full-time

Pros

None but the Cantina was good

Cons

Big joke! Immature lazy work crew! Perverts all around and i think my team leader was selling dope to the manangent team. Horrible environment with a good ol boy atmosphere! Dumb job in slow Lexington

Advice to Management

Those fans are apparently there to blow smoke up peoples holes! Garbage product really, trust i assembled that crap

Big Ass Fans2018-10-11

"No Communication"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Big Ass Fans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-Workers were like family. Benefits were great. Company culture did a lot when uncertainty was in the air. Catered lunches were a good option to not go off site.

Cons

I started off in one position and got shifted into a completely new position. I never got a full explanation. It was quite the waiting game. The job position transition lasted a couple of months. Once settled into my new position, it was hectic to say the least. My manager was so busy that I didn't receive the proper training. I was told I would handle accounts but at the end of the day, was doing all the busy work for...

Advice to Management

Be transparent with employees

Big Ass Fans2018-08-28

"Transitional"

I have been working at Big Ass Fans full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Better prospects now, and the focus on the mechanics of the business are being addressed. Most of the people are extremely competent at what they do.

Cons

Too much of the same language from before. Too many layers of management that are too busy figuring out where they are to worry about their charges. Little regard to the many elephants in the room about structure, product dev. Too many reversals of actions made to save money, that eventually cost more. Some depts. are still managed as clicks that end up limiting communication.

Advice to Management

Problem and solutions proposed lists aren't a firm enough

Big Ass Fans2018-08-04

"FUD (fear uncertainty doubt) factor used here!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Big Ass Fans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dynamic workforce Catered lunch cafeteria Good lighting Days fly by (always busy) Monthly Family outings Yearly pay bumps 4%-6%

Cons

This place will destroy your confidence or help you develop thick skin. You’ll drink more during the week than is natural just to escape the day...in fact past employees have brought vodka in their coffee mugs and taken Xanax when meeting with management just to cope. Fear Uncertainty and Doubt reign. Managers are not there because they can manage...but no where else for them to go. It’s a game of survivor daily....never...

Advice to Management

Take a look at what your employees are doing. The quietest ones can tell you truth if you seek it out. Have loyalty to those that have been there and seek women in leadership roles. Get rid of the boys club.

Big Ass Fans2018-07-10