Big Blue Swim School Reviews | Glassdoor

Big Blue Swim School Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2019

Found 41 reviews

3.8
Big Blue Swim School CEO Chris Kenny (no image)
Chris Kenny
  1. "Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - Swim Associate in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Quarterly raises and bonuses -Friendly and FUN staff -Ton of hours to pick up and substitute -Training opportunities to learn how to be a lifeguard -Free lessons for your child when you're an employee -Bonuses for referring your friends to work there -ALWAYS hiring!!! -Work with amazing kids

Cons

-Honestly nothing, this has been my favorite place to work

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!

Big Blue Swim School2016-12-13
  2. "Wilmette location"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School part-time

Pros

The work environment is wonderful. It's great to come to work and have fun with kids and still be educational. Even when you're having a bad day you come to work and you focus on teaching and having a blast! The staff is hilarious and everyone seems like a big family.

Cons

I love the kids but sometimes they're just too much too handle. Also, training new people is kinda all over the place all in different order. It's all confusing not having a proper orientation where everything is shown and everything is told. You kinda just watch and learn as you go- which is fine for some people but there are others who needs both- verbal and the visual. Other than that big blue is great!!

Advice to Management

Better communication and organization. Otherwise, Marissa is super awesome. Becky is hilarious. Leslie is super quiet although very nice. & Thoma likes to scare people which I find hilarious!

Big Blue Swim School2016-12-02
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"If you love kids, this is for you"

in Wilmette, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School

Pros

I've been working here for almost a year and it's really awaesome. -Well thought out process plan -Mostly awesome kids -Great relationships with parents -Friendly staff -Flexible schedule -Marissa the manager is great -Awesome to see kids succeeed

Cons

-Conflicting information from managers -Rules do not apply to everyone

Advice to Management

Less gossiping -and more communicating

Big Blue Swim School2016-11-17
  5. "Wilmette Location"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

The manager here is extremely AWESOME! He always makes sure you feel welcomed and comfortable. The entire environment here is full of positive energy from both parents and kids so there's never really any bad days.

Cons

I've only been here for two months so I haven't been working here that long to obtain any problems but so far so good.

Big Blue Swim School2016-11-17
  6. "Anonymous review"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros of working here at big blue are that you get paid to have fun and laugh, although swimming is no joke, we take our job serious how ever kids always are laughing and smiling and having blast all while learning the value lesson of swimming. I also love my job because when I'm having a hard day I can always count on my students to put a smile on my face.

Cons

The cons of working here is that sometimes you just can't get enough. I love working at big blue. Although it's a little far from home I love coming here. It never seems like it's work.

Advice to Management

Keep up to the good work.

Big Blue Swim School2016-11-18
  7. "anonynous review"

Swim Instructor in Wilmette, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at big blue is that this is literally the only place i know that pays you to have fun don't get me wrong we are a swim school and we take our job serious but at the end of the day i personally look back at all the fun i had with these kids and my fellow employee and i can honestly say this is the best job for anyone to have and i'm one the lucky few

Cons

to me there are no cons

Advice to Management

keep it up

Big Blue Swim School2016-11-16

"Amazing kids"

I worked at Big Blue Swim School

Pros

You get to teach a life skill to kids.

Cons

Management sucks... Except Andrea. She's cool.

Advice to Management

Andrea is the only manager who possesses manager qualities.

Big Blue Swim School2016-08-29

"Big Blue Fool School"

in Wilmette, IL

I worked at Big Blue Swim School

Pros

They start you off at $12 an hour which is better than minimum wage. And it's a great temporary job.

Cons

Raises have changed. You're lucky if you get 20 cents. The higher raises go to employees they are scared to lose. There is a lot of favoritism at Big Blue. If you aren't on someone's good side, they will pick at everything you do. The managers are the biggest culprits with this. If they don't like you, they do everything in their power to get rid of you. They have a very high turnover rate. Big blue is ran by... bullies. The CEO is oblivious to everything. Or maybe he is a bully as well. I actually had a MANAGER tell me they are famous for Penny pinching!!!

Advice to Management

Get it together. Take some responsibility for your actions, right your wrongs, and grow from your mistakes. Don't make excuses for them. You guys could be extraordinary if you would break your backs for your employees, the same way you expect them to do for you!! You should be ashamed with what you've gotten away with!

Big Blue Swim School2016-02-15
  10. "Best place in the north shore!"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to have fun every day at work. I don't even feel like I'm working. Just a positive work environment, great people to be around and plus the kids are what make it so rewarding! They are flexible when something comes up for scheduling and making sure you are comfortable and happy! Anytime you have questions about ANYTHING they are willing to help you, especially when it comes to the lessons. I would highly... recommend if you want a fun, energetic and beyond rewarding job. Look no further 👍

Cons

I don't see any cons working here. I have the utmost confidence that this company is amazing! Trust me if you love kids, you'll love working here!!!

Advice to Management

Can't wait to open up new locations! So we can bring more amazing people on our team! To continue to be the best swim school Chicago has ever seen!!!

Big Blue Swim School2016-02-18
  11. "Glad I found Blue"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time

Pros

Owners are awesome. Management is awesome. 90% of the employees are awesome! Top it off the environment is extremely fun!

Cons

I wish I was more recognized for the work I do. A 401k would be nice also.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. A little more feedback as well as actually making sure EVERYONE is setting up.

Big Blue Swim School2016-02-18