Big Blue Swim School Swim Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Big Blue Swim School Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2019

Found 41 reviews

3.8
Big Blue Swim School CEO Chris Kenny (no image)
Chris Kenny
  1. "Best Job I’ve Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Swim Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very rewarding and your efforts are always noticed. Great feedback from management and lots of help getting you to where you want to be in the company.

Cons

Some co-workers bring along drama but that’ll be found in any workplace.

Advice to Management

None, you’re doing amazing!!

Big Blue Swim School2019-07-02
  2. "Okay job, not great pay"

I worked at Big Blue Swim School

Pros

Entry level, get to spend time with kids, learn swimming techniques, most holidays off

Cons

Very little pay, crappy hours.

Big Blue Swim School2018-11-28
  3. "I couldnt ask for a better company to work for"

Current Employee - Swim Teacher in Niles, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full time, awesome benifits, free lunch on weekends, rewarding watching and helping children learn and accomplish new skills,

Cons

Some employees love to gossip and it can be hard to avoid not getting involved in some drama here and there. The heat on deck and being in the water can be taxing and exausting.

Advice to Management

Id say take time to check in With all of the employees one on one from time to time maybe once every couple of weeks.

Big Blue Swim School2018-10-25
  4. "Big Blue Review"

Former Employee - Swim Teacher in Niles, IL

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing staff! Fun work environment Opportunities for advancement Good learning experience with children

Cons

Long evening hours, would have rather had morning hours

Big Blue Swim School2018-10-02

"Swim associate"

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time

Pros

Working with kids and making an impact in their lives. Free lunch on the weekends.

Cons

That is easily the hours. While it adds up to a 40 hour work week, working from 8:45-8:30 takes its toll.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate and take accountability for your actions. You always would preach professionalism, yet management was far from that. I honestly am amazed grown adults can be that awkward and poor at communicating.

Big Blue Swim School2018-08-17

"Rewarding, but Plagued"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Niles, IL

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to teach others to swim, and the other employees are great and try to keep morale high. Some of the local management really rocked and did an awesome job of setting and keeping standards high. Seeing a child go from being afraid of the water to getting in and swimming is so rewarding. I myself learned how to swim better here, and got to meet some employees I now consider close friends. It was a lifechanging... experience, in the best way.

Cons

Upper management has no experience in managing, they are unable to communicate program changes or price changes, or launch a promotion with the infrastructure in place. I was made fun of by another employee for being homosexual, and nothing was done by HR. I developed severe rashes from improperly balanced water (pH 9 according to the pool computer.) I was told the water is fine and to just get in the pool. It was a... lifechanging experience.

Advice to Management

Communicate, educate, relate. Cut out the fat.

Big Blue Swim School2018-08-20

Big Blue Swim School Response

August 24, 2018Director of HR and Compliance

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We are concerned regarding some of the information you shared and would like to better understand what occurred as we don’t tolerate the types of behaviors you have described. It is important to us that Big Blue Swim School remains a safe and professional environment so we would definitely appreciate any additional information you can provide. Please don’t hesitate to reach out at any time. We can be contacted at 773-701-8081 or hr@bigblueswim.school.

7. "WILMETTE ROCKS!"

Former Employee - Swim Teacher in Wilmette, IL

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture and environment to work in! Great place to learn a little bit of everything, everyone was very patient and encouraging throughout my training process. I've felt this place has really helped me figure out my strengths and passion which I will forever be thankful for. Extremely sad to say bye to such an awesome workplace and work family. Shoutout to Marissa, Lucia, Jenelle, and Thoma for their patience,... leadership and professionalism, they recognize everyone's efforts and always encourage you to strive for more, 6 months in I was offered a supervisor position, a raise and a full bonus, for simply trying my best and loving what I do. I look forward to coming back in the future.

Cons

Difficult to provide 100% customer satisfaction when only one phone number for all locations, parents are comfortable with our staff so frustrating for them when they call one location and another picks up. Bathrooms could use remodeling, updated cleaning supplies.

Advice to Management

Marissa, Jennelle, & Lucia are the absolute best managers!

Big Blue Swim School2018-07-10

"Swim teacher"

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to grow Easy to learn

Cons

If your skin is sensitive don’t do it! Make sure you oil up before getting in the water. You’re in it all day everyday

Big Blue Swim School2018-07-05

"This place needs to get their stuff together."

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time

Pros

Working with great employees, and teaching some really fantastic children, something I'll never forget.

Cons

Pretty much everything else.

Advice to Management

You need to get it together. This company is not going to succeed if you keep running it the way you are, and letting your Regional Manager get away with everything. It's ridiculous how you let this man take charge of a 5 star facility, only to screw everything up all in the matter of two weeks. I'm not a bitter employee, and honestly, since I was let go, it's been a huge relief, but I hate seeing my fellow... associates getting treated with so much disrespect. The only way you would ever get respected, or noticed nonetheless, is by kissing up to the regional manager, because he sure does enjoy playing favorites. And yet, parents are withdrawing, employees are leaving because the only thing you care about is money. John and Chris are great people, you guys had run a fantastic business, and you two are great people, but you need to open your eyes up and see that you need better management.

Big Blue Swim School2018-05-13

"Terrible upper management who do not know how to value their employees"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wilmette, IL

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than a year

Pros

if funs what you want apply

Cons

i use to work as an assistant manager at big blue and i loved every minute of it but when i had to leave for a family emergancy they said i could leave and come back and when i was ready to come back they pretty much kicked me to the curb without even a call back i even called to come back as an instructor and no call back but they are on indeed looking for people and i would have love to come back but they do not... care they only use you to sell trials and get people to sign up make them money and get replaced in less than a week they dont know how to talk to employees you just get put into an ultimatum and if you dont choose correctly they slowly get you out the door and make it seem like you didnt try at all they have no consideration for other people its just big blue or you go home terrible upper management who do not appreciate their employees i would say if you want good money and get treated like crap come to big blue swim school

Advice to Management

learn to talk to employees treat them like you would treat any other person be considerate to them show them that you need them just as much as they need you if you have no instructors or assistant managers there is no big blue

Big Blue Swim School2018-04-23