Big Blue Swim School Swim Instructor Reviews | Glassdoor

Big Blue Swim School Swim Instructor Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2018

3.9
Big Blue Swim School CEO Chris Kenny (no image)
Chris Kenny
  1. "Swim instructor"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting paid to have fun and enjoy swimming while educating the youth.

Cons

couldn't think of a con when you have a job that pays to have fun.

Big Blue Swim School2017-07-12

"Rewarding, but Plagued"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Niles, IL

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to teach others to swim, and the other employees are great and try to keep morale high. Some of the local management really rocked and did an awesome job of setting and keeping standards high. Seeing a child go from being afraid of the water to getting in and swimming is so rewarding. I myself learned how to swim better here, and got to meet some employees I now consider close friends. It was a lifechanging... experience, in the best way.

Cons

Upper management has no experience in managing, they are unable to communicate program changes or price changes, or launch a promotion with the infrastructure in place. I was made fun of by another employee for being homosexual, and nothing was done by HR. I developed severe rashes from improperly balanced water (pH 9 according to the pool computer.) I was told the water is fine and to just get in the pool. It was a... lifechanging experience.

Advice to Management

Communicate, educate, relate. Cut out the fat.

Big Blue Swim School2018-08-20

Big Blue Swim School Response

August 24, 2018Director of HR and Compliance

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We are concerned regarding some of the information you shared and would like to better understand what occurred as we don’t tolerate the types of behaviors you have described. It is important to us that Big Blue Swim School remains a safe and professional environment so we would definitely appreciate any additional information you can provide. Please don’t hesitate to reach out at any time. We can be contacted at 773-701-8081 or hr@bigblueswim.school.

3. "Anonymous review"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros of working here at big blue are that you get paid to have fun and laugh, although swimming is no joke, we take our job serious how ever kids always are laughing and smiling and having blast all while learning the value lesson of swimming. I also love my job because when I'm having a hard day I can always count on my students to put a smile on my face.

Cons

The cons of working here is that sometimes you just can't get enough. I love working at big blue. Although it's a little far from home I love coming here. It never seems like it's work.

Advice to Management

Keep up to the good work.

Big Blue Swim School2016-11-18
  4. "Wilmette Location"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

The manager here is extremely AWESOME! He always makes sure you feel welcomed and comfortable. The entire environment here is full of positive energy from both parents and kids so there's never really any bad days.

Cons

I've only been here for two months so I haven't been working here that long to obtain any problems but so far so good.

Big Blue Swim School2016-11-17
  5. "anonynous review"

Swim Instructor in Wilmette, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at big blue is that this is literally the only place i know that pays you to have fun don't get me wrong we are a swim school and we take our job serious but at the end of the day i personally look back at all the fun i had with these kids and my fellow employee and i can honestly say this is the best job for anyone to have and i'm one the lucky few

Cons

to me there are no cons

Advice to Management

keep it up

Big Blue Swim School2016-11-16
  6. "Best place in the north shore!"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to have fun every day at work. I don't even feel like I'm working. Just a positive work environment, great people to be around and plus the kids are what make it so rewarding! They are flexible when something comes up for scheduling and making sure you are comfortable and happy! Anytime you have questions about ANYTHING they are willing to help you, especially when it comes to the lessons. I would highly... recommend if you want a fun, energetic and beyond rewarding job. Look no further 👍

Cons

I don't see any cons working here. I have the utmost confidence that this company is amazing! Trust me if you love kids, you'll love working here!!!

Advice to Management

Can't wait to open up new locations! So we can bring more amazing people on our team! To continue to be the best swim school Chicago has ever seen!!!

Big Blue Swim School2016-02-18
  7. "Teaching without lesson plans!"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm a former elementary school teacher. Been working for big blue for 3 years and it's great! Never though I would be able to do what I love, teach kids without having 16 hour work days grading papers and setting lesson plans. If you love to teach try them out!

Cons

It's retail hours so you do work a weekend day.

Big Blue Swim School2015-10-14
  8. "Great"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing pay and benefits. Flexible and positive work environment. Food is provided on the weekends and we get lots of great feedback. The training is great! If you love kids you will love working here!

Cons

You have to work at least one weekend day, but the pay is significantly higher on the weekends so it makes up for it.

Advice to Management

We love the daily feedback, its always positive and helps us feel appreciated, keep it up!

Big Blue Swim School2015-10-05

Big Blue Swim School Response

October 14, 2015Founder & President

Thank you for this great review. We continue to strive to make Big Blue a great place to work. Your feedback is very appreciated.

9. "Highly recommend"

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had been working a desk job for 2 years before finding Big Blue. All I can say is that working with kids has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. I wish I had quit my old job a long time ago. Paid training was great. There other instructors are awesome to work with. We have a great time every day.

Cons

I live a little far from the pool so the commute is a bit frustrating.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work.

Big Blue Swim School2015-10-05
  10. "Really great"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, warm pool water, they work around other commitments like jobs or school. Will help you find someone to cover your shifts when you go on vacation.

Cons

The break room could be a little warmer. Showers need to be more consistent with being warm. Lights could be less bright.

Advice to Management

More chances to grow in the company. Keep up the awesome atmosphere.

Big Blue Swim School2015-09-14