Big Fish Games Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Big Fish Games President & CEO Paul Thelen
Paul Thelen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is an excellent work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Big fish games has a great and friendly work environment (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • I found the negativity (or lack of positivity) from some middle managers to be disappointing (in 7 reviews)

• Lot of people left company because of that (in 4 reviews)

"Great Atmosphere"

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

At Big Fish Games the management team did an excellent job of creating a comfortable environment to harbor creativity and good interpersonal relationships in the office. People working there clearly want to be there and are happy to put in the work needed to succeed in their position and push the company forward.

Cons

Maneuvering around the Big Fish Games office in Queen Anne is exceedingly difficult with construction and traffic abound.

2. "Localization Specialist"

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great vacation time

Cons

Pay is ok, but raises and bonuses are a joke. No room to grow.

"Good People. Upper/lower management need people skills."

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

Pros

Good work/life balance. Casual and easy atmosphere. Folks seem to care. Good work if you can get in but felt like I had to watch my back for managment.

Cons

Ageism does exist. Heard awful story from a manager about an exec who wanted an older employee let go simply because of their age. Got the feeling this person didn't report it out of fear and felt intimidated.
    Boys club sometimes. Women need more promoting. Male managers at all levels don't know how to help women.
    4 reviews every year for everyone. Number crunchers rule with iron fist. Personal growth/promotion is hard.
    Might or might not recommend to a friend.

Advice to Management

New head corporation model doesn't feel like a game industry model. Too much on numbers not enough on humans and effort.

"Different after the buy-out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Interesting projects
    Fun office & good culture (within the teams)

Cons

Terrible management.
    No transparency. Decisions are made and enforced without insight.
    Lately they've been firing a lot of long-tenured employees without explanation.

5. "Toxic work environment"

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

Free goldfish crackers and the occasional party as an effort to boost morale

Cons

Terrible management who create and sustain a toxic work environment by not communicating. Management is comprised of a boy's club who often don't listen to the women around them.

Advice to Management

Learn how to listen, especially to women. Maybe hire some women in management. Learn how to communicate positively. Don't act annoyed when an employee comes to you for guidance!

6. "Get out of CS when you can!"

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

The benefits are great, and I've also made a lot of lasting friendships by working here. Working in CS gave me the skills, confidence, and experience I needed. They have parties, company meetings that keep employees in the know with yummy snacks, and I got the chance to work with some wonderful and hard working people. It's a fun place to work.

Cons

The pay and raises are mediocre. Even if you move up to a different team and out of CS, they base your pay off of what you made in CS instead of the base pay for the position you're moving to.   At the end of my time there, I dreaded going to work because of the toxic environment. There's a lot of trash talk and passive aggression going in CS. It felt like I was back in High School, having to deal with Mean Girls.  There are only a handful of decent managers in CS. I truly believe if there was some kind of anonymous feedback system in place for management, that some of the god awful managers in CS would no longer be working there. There is so much favoritism going on when management positions open up in CS, as well as in the manager to employee relationship in CS, it's ridiculous. There is one manager there that frequently sleeps and snores  in meetings and at her desk, and while I don't know everything that goes on, I doubt anything has been said to her about it, because she is pals with upper management. When I first started, it was all about customer service, quality, and retention of employees as well as customers. Ever since the buyout, it feels like Big Fish cares less about employees as well as customer service, and more about "hit" games they can produce and make money off of. That's fine that you want to make money, you're a business after all. But it's a big and unfortunate change to experience as an employee, as it before I left, it felt like Big Fish cares about is making money, and that anyone is replaceable. This feeling is shared by many, as the turnover is high and job satisfaction is low. I know several employees that are unhappy and looking elsewhere, and trying to get out of Big Fish ASAP.

Advice to Management

Find a way to inspire your employees.  Stop sleeping on the job. If you don't want to be a manager, go somewhere else, because your disdain for the job is obvious, and that just makes it awkward for everyone. Have some self-awareness and self-reflection. Stop playing favorites. Be kind. Don't trash talk your employees, at all, EVER. Be professional. Give more incentives. Fight for your employees to get better raises.

7. "Media Buyer II"

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

An overall positive working culture. Lot's of smart, nice people all doing the best they can.

Cons

Inconsistent in regards to leadership. You could really feel the transition into a more corporate working environment.

"Part of Triton Studios"

Current Employee - QA Tester II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - QA Tester II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Treats you like a human being
    -Not worried about time off
    -Relaxed, happy environment
    -Work is there if you want it
    -Ability and encouragement for growth
    -Promise of temp to hire (is true!)
    -Hires FTE
    -Appreciates good work ethic

Cons

-Pay isn't very high, made up for in lax environment
    -Times of slowness
    -Developers are cross-country and not in-pay
    -Organization can be messy

"They discriminate in hiring based on applicants age"

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

Strange business model but seems to be working

Cons

They should be audited by the dept of Labor

Advice to Management

clean up your act

"Software Engineer Manager"

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

Love the teams and startup culture!

Cons

Company direction was not clear