Big G Express Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Research"

Current Employee - Driver in Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - Driver in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at Big G Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work stock package employee owned

Cons

Overworked underpaid driver managers,no dedicated runs

Advice to Management

Communicate more.

2. "Run!!! Don't expect to be home"

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

I have been working at Big G Express (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't expect to be home on weekends. They lie to you consistently. My boyfriend goes through this mess every Friday. He has told them he has kids to get on weekends. THEY DO NOT CARE!!! I have tried to be supportive and understanding. These are the typical liars. Then someone in upper management will apologize. They don't call your kids of course. 😉 They continue to lie. Run from Big G. Don't buy into the lie of employee owned, and family oriented. If you want to be home. Go with Schneider. They'll pay much more... Up to $.55 a mile. They block out your days off at the beginning of the week.
    My father has a trucking company. He would not ever do his employees this way
     He does heavy haul. Just run and don't buy into the deceit.

Cons

They do not care about employees.

Advice to Management

Listen when someone wants to be home and stop lying.

3. "DON'T APPLY TO WORK HERE!!!!"

Former Employee - Class A CDL Delivery Driver in Shelbyville, TN
    Former Employee - Class A CDL Delivery Driver in Shelbyville, TN

I worked at Big G Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good miles at first but then they drop.

Cons

They "claim" to be family oriented but home time is horrible!! Lots of sitting on runs. Low miles = low paychecks. Promises never kept no matter how many times you talk to them. And they'll screw you if and when you decide to leave. Don't make a phone call and expect an answer!!

Advice to Management

Management is very unresponsive to the needs of drivers.

Big G Express Response

Sep 18, 2017 – Manager of Marketing and Communications

Average miles and home time are both up. We have started multiple initiatives to help our drivers. Better training of dispatch, process improvements in utilization, preplan % has more than doubled... More

4. "Trucking review"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Russellville, TN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Russellville, TN

I have been working at Big G Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people with steady miles

Cons

Not home enough on weekends.

5. "Big G Express"

I worked at Big G Express full-time

Pros

Good pay, opportunities for advancement, creative freedom to motivate Drivers in different ways.

Cons

Over the road truck dispatching pays very good, it is a difficult assignment for consistent positive results. This is more a fact of this position everywhere, not just Big G.

Advice to Management

Keep on Trucking!

"Fleet Supervisor"

Former Employee - Fleet Supervisor in Shelbyville, TN
    Former Employee - Fleet Supervisor in Shelbyville, TN

I worked at Big G Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Oh God do I must be honest? Nothing.

Cons

Awful place, awful management, poor training. About 10 administrative employees have quit in the last 8 months. Management at Shelbyville is awful, they will throw you under the bus quickly and blindside you. It's like they don't want anyone to get a fair chance. Also the truckers complain about how poor the management treats them. They don't care that the truck drivers have a family and a life. Do not be fooled when offered a fleet supervisor position. Everyone in administrative is a dispatcher, do not get it twisted that you are actually a real fleet supervisor because everyone is one. You are actually just a dispatcher that's all it is.

Advice to Management

Treat your employers with more respect. Get rid of management at the Shelbyville location. Turnover rates should speak volumes. Ask around to see what your employees say about the daytime fleet manager. I believe that has a lot to do with why so many dispatchers quit.

7. "Good family company for truck drivers"

Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Big G Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really do care about the employees home time.

Cons

They are a trucking company. There are always cons with trucking companies.

8. "Great Company if you learn to manage time and learn system"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at Big G Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Employee Owned, Good pay, Consistent freight, Good communication with dispatch, they always solve any problem that arises for me. Benefits are Top Notch. Company has definitely improved since the Employee Buyout. Hometime when I ask for it not when they say I should go home like most OTR Companies

Cons

Sometimes they have to rule by commitee to get something done, Preplanning of Freight would be nice so you can plan your days.

Advice to Management

Preplanning Freight would increase productivity

9. "OK job, terrible career."

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Big G Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Live near Nashville; get home at decent time for weekend. Others, good luck. Paid every week. Insurance not bad for single coverage.

Cons

Bad dispatcher equals bad experience. You'll never meet them nor talk to them in person. They blame all the dispatching mistakes on the "planners". I asked who a planner was and was never given an answer. No names. Night dispatchers are way better. Matt, Carlton, Bernie, Phyllis, Kathy, are all good ones. I force myself on a night time schedule every week for this reason. Have to beg for detention pay most of the time. Sit for 2-6 hours after empty to get another load.

Advice to Management

Couldn't care less. Waiting on a ticket to roll off my record so I can get a local ltl job. Money is not worth missing out on your children's lives.

10. "More productive than other trucking companies"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Shelbyville, TN
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Shelbyville, TN

Pros

Most of the freight they haul is out and back. Their facilities are imaculant and the most modern I've ever seen. The driver managers are really nice.

Cons

I loved working there. But by the time I got to that company I was exhausted with the trucking industry as a whole. The hours at my previous companies really had taken a toll on me. Therefore I was not able to work there long. If I had to do it over again I would take a year or so off than return to work for that company.

Advice to Management

If an employee works 40 hours a week he or she (not truckers) works 2000 hours a year. This includes paid vacations. A truck driver because of staying out for such long period of time will in my humble opinion reach that mark at four to six months. They of course will be frustrated and grumpy and probably quit such as I did.

Once I had quit I regretted it a few months later. If I had received an invitation to come back by mail or other means I would have came back.

Trying to rehire those they perceive to be productive would give them an edge in a high turnover industry.