Big Lots Reviews in Louisville, KY | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Furniture Lead"

Current Employee - Furniture Department Head in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Furniture Department Head in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, generally management has been easy to work with. Some power of management without all the responsibilities.

Cons

can be a very stressful job when associates and yourself do not overlap working hours. hard to communicate with those you do not work with

"Not all of our customers are "Jennifer""

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time

Pros

20% Associate Discount bumped to 30% during a few weekends per year. Benefits are good for full-time employees.

Cons

Understaffing and the emphasis on appealling to only one type of customer, "Jennifer", has made a once exciting retail environment more of a living hell. The prices are now comparable to the retail giants Big Lots is seeking to emulate.

Advice to Management

Do your job, work as a team with the ATLS and ATLM and communicate effectively. No leaving early, calling off and abusing the perks that being a salaried employee affords you.

3. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours good atmosphere vacation personnel days

Cons

Few payroll hours to operate store

Advice to Management

Hire good assistant managers

"Satisfies my needs for the time being"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

All employees except cashiers and management are part time so it's good for someone who doesn't need a lot of work. 20% discount during employment and a 30% discount 4 times a year. It was really easy to become friends with co-workers. It's probably the easiest job you could ever get. People who have worked here as well as fast food places or gas stations say this job is WAY easier.

Cons

Whoever sends the stock/merchandise sends WAY TOO MUCH stuff and we have nowhere to put it. We're expected to put everything that we get in onto the sales floor, no matter how much stuff it is or if we even need more of it. And if there's not a place for it, we have to MAKE a place for it. We don't have much help in the evening. They expect one person to straighten and recover the ENTIRE store. It's very difficult to do, especially when trying to do that while customers are still shopping. Even with two people it's difficult to make the store look how the regional managers and higher up's want/expect. During the evening they usually have one cashier and a manager as a back up but the manager is hardly able to get anything done because they're constantly needed at the service desk.

Advice to Management

If you want perfection, every single night, hire more people.

"Hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

20% discount. The bonus, getting overtime.

Cons

Lack of staff and payroll. Regional and district managers don't have a clue as to what goes on in the stores. Make long term employees full time. Part time associates don't care. They are there to get a check.

Advice to Management

Share information. Make it a better place to work. Make long term employees feel like you value them.

"No Advancement and Low Pay"

Current Employee - CSS/Temp Associate Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - CSS/Temp Associate Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

20% discount. First pick from what comes in. Every shipment has surprises. Made friends with coworkers easily. 30% discount twice a year. 4 paid holidays a year.

Cons

Low pay. Very little raises. As low as 10 cents per year, only as high as 25 cents. Hard to get full time. Only management and a CSS are eligible for a full time position. Corporate gives out just enough hours to operate. One cashier, manager on duty often has to be back up cashier. One furniture associate, causing customers to have to wait. One person at night to straighten the whole store, while corporate has the expectation of perfection. It's impossible to run a store on the bare bones of a crew. But they don't want to hear that.

Advice to Management

Lower prices. Often times the grocery store has better sales than we do. Give more labor hours to use. People need associates to help them and there's often no one available. You preach about good customer service to help loss prevention, but when there's only two people In this $4million store, there's no one to prevent theft.

"Horrible."

Former Employee - Furniture Manager Big Lots in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Furniture Manager Big Lots in Louisville, KY

Pros

The hours were okay. However I had to work if someone called in sick. Got old quick

Cons

The management is on a high horse. They are horrible.

Advice to Management

Go to school.

Showing 7 of 1,098 reviews