Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

Big Lots President and CEO David J. Campisi
David J. Campisi

1,037 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"It's Amazing, I love the people I work with. We treat each other like family!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in North Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Big Lots part-time

Pros

The people are incredible, I love working mostly because I'm ADHD, so I like a lot of movement!! And when I start something I try my hardest to get it done otherwise it drives me completely crazy.

Cons

There are definitely challenges but your team helps you through it, but if I had to choose one, it would be the rude customers, but everything else is great!!

Advice to Management

Yall are doing a great job!!

2. "Don't have a voice"

Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount. Really good benefits. Salary was ok. People that worked at the location I managed were wonderful.

Cons

Need DM'S that will stand behind their management team. When you have a manager that runs one of the best store in the district, let them run it. They know what it takes to run the business and if you want the standards to stay high you have to allow them to schecule to the stores needs.

Advice to Management

When you have a store team leader that"s a true leader and is fair, direct and has high standards. You shouldn't force them to look for better opportunities. I've been back to the store I managed and it's terrible that they have let the standards go and hired the wrong leadership.

3. "Floor associate"

Current Employee - Floor Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Floor Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Big Lots (More than a year)

Pros

family friend work place and great team work place

Cons

high turn over with new hires

5. "Inconsistent"

Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Under the right leadership, great things can be accomplished.
    To be successful, you need to have all leaders for the process.
    If you're lucky to have a DM who believes in you, then you might survive.

Cons

No leader within buildings believe in the process, therefore every store is broken.
    Too much drama with leadership in and out of store.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page.
    Live and breathe the process and believe in where the company wants to head.
    Ensure that top leadership has processes and policies that work consistently throughout all stores.

6. "low pay"

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be an easy job if you want it to be and also having a good attitude about it.

Cons

Management is not on the same page as to how things should be done so you are left confused sometimes.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration everything an associate does for the store when reviewing them and do make them look stupid for small things i front of customers. Also have more communication between managers.

7. "District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - District Manager in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Love the company . Great friendly Store Manager . Allot of tenure knowledge employees. Great benefits this includes paid time off . Bonus Plan .Room to grow within the common any

Cons

Allot of hrs . Payroll is tight . Allot of task detail work in the store . People call outs .

Advice to Management

Nine

8. "Operations Supervisor"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people work at the distribution center. Employees have 15+ years experience.

Cons

Upper management not very involved. Very poor work life balance as a salary employee

9. "Sales Associate Review"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Kentwood, MI

Pros

20% discount, Friends and family discounts

Cons

I was hired in as a Sales Associate they wanted to train me as a back-up cashier so they would not have to hire and schedule more cashiers then they wanted me to get carts from the lot but at the same time still do returns and zone. Then no one from furniture was brining in the grills and patio furniture so I was doing it and it wasn't even my job to do but some had to do it. And keep up the returns and zoning all at the same time. Not to mention filling in the pop machine because the customer service person who job it was did not want to do it. On top of all the other jobs that I had to do all in 5 hours.

Advice to Management

don't train everyone for back-up cashier and pull everyone off the floor so the customers can fend for themselves. Explain to furniture that it is their job to bring in the merchandise outside not the sales associates job. Establish the same across the board store standards policy at all stores.

10. "Big Lots Review"

Former Employee - IT Director in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - IT Director in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time

Pros

Hired talented people and trusted them to do their Jobs. Allowed for new ideas and innovations

Cons

Company grew to fast and scared upper Manager and they lost their focus. Company's growth stalled. New people were brought and it lost it's continuity. Just recently the seem to be work back to their root. I expect good growth in the near future.

Advice to Management

Stay on course of getting back to the roots of the company and get back to the innovations and ideas from everyone in the organization.

11. "This company was excellent to work for. My superiors were extremely helpful and supportive."

Former Employee - Lease Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Lease Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big Lots had Excellent benefits and work environment. Upper management was extremely supportive and helpful. I really enjoyed working here.

Cons

The staffing could have been more robust as it seemed like we were short staffed and there was a bit of a struggle to keep up with the pace.

Showing 1,037 of 1,050 reviews