Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Big Lots President and CEO David J. Campisi
David J. Campisi

Cons

1. "Don't get caught working overtime!!! They all know you have done it, you will get in trouble but not paid for it."

Former Employee - Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

20% discount 30 % discount once or twice a year there is nothing else good to say. They don't care about there people

Cons

Not enough hours to get the work done.
    They don't want managers to work, just supervise but in the same breath won't give you any help. Don't bother going to corporate for help if you have a issue. All that will be done is it will be swept under the rug and not mentioned. The district is ran poorly and you were always told you weren't doing a good job. I worked off the clock got in trouble for it but was never compensated for it. They do not care about the employees only the $$$

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees instead of trying to sweep issues under the rug. But then when they are brought to your attention you act like a deer in the headlights

"Bad, bad, bad"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Bossier City, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Bossier City, LA

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

20% discount, family and friends discount, making friends, floating holiday, although I believe it should be a whole lot more

Cons

I have been a sales floor associate for 3 years. They do not pay enough for what I do. Go on lot 3-4 times to get buggys, answer phone calls, load furniture, doing put backs, zoning store, taking care of customers, cashiering when another cashier needs a break or a lunch all in a 4 hour shift. I stay late when they need me, I come in early when they need me, I come in on my days off when they need me. What do I get in return? Treated badly. The new hires get more hours than me, they're not good at their jobs and I'm expected to go behind them and clean up, the managers take me off of my job to do their job then throw me under the bus when questioned about why I didn't get my job done. Managers having affair with each other and it being covered up by store manager. Managers love the crappy workers and treat them like gold while the hard workers are treated crappy. Managers are lazy and very rude to associates and customers. And forget calling GETREAL. Nothing ever comes from that

Advice to Management

Upper management should look closely to who is running their store. In one month, they hired 10 people and all 10 quit within days. This has happened often. Why doesn't upper management ask why? Start paying attention!

3. "Unfair managment"

Current Employee - Stocker in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Stocker in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Big Lots (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros for working here

Cons

Unfair managment he only favors certain people and he only gives most hours to cashiers when all there stock workers get little hours

Advice to Management

I been there for years and i only been getting 30_34 hours is this fair or no

"Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rising Sun, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rising Sun, MD

I worked at Big Lots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is always plenty of work to be done.

Cons

Management is clueless! Schedules change repeatedly in a week - 1 instance, 4 times in 1 day!!!! They have poor judgement in hiring, and instead of giving an associate that works the extra hours, they just leave you short a person. They have unrealistic expectations for the amount of hours given, especially if your short associates! Management seems to have lack of communication as one will direct you one way, while another gives you completely different directions. When you contact HR "anonymously" it does not stay that way!! I am still in contact with current employees, and it has only gotten worse!

Advice to Management

Communication is the key to a successful business. Treat the employees that work hard for you with respect and courtesy, and the associates whom call out frequently should be terminated, this will ensure a better work environment.

6. "ONE OF THE WORST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

salaries used to be good and competitive but no longer are. 20% discount on employee purchases is nice but that's about all. quarterly bonus if you make sales forecasts and double bonus last quarter.

Cons

DM does nothing to support team. Managers often work 80+ hours because tasking is over the top and you are always short staffed. They will not let you give more than 19 hours to your part timers and expect them to be good, hardworking loyal employees for $7.50/hr 19 hours a week. Because of this you have constant turnover and are constantly hiring. Your only full timers are management and Furniture manager. As a manager you will haul freight, unload trucks, carry sofa's on your back, unload furniture and receive 20-30 tasks a day that have to be set. The new company management gave everyone hope but all the old DM's still have the same Walmart mentality so store managers work their tails off for very little compensation. (salaries have dropped some 30 to 50% in the past 5 years and they are finding ways to weed out legacy employees that have higher salaries) Very dirty business. Furthermore they sexist mentality is EPIC! Female store managers can earn up to 20% less than their male counterparts. The bonus system is a scam if you plan on leaving. You will work your tail off for a bonus but if you are not employed 2 months after bonus cut off, when they are actually paid, you dont get it. That means by the time you get your bonus you have already worked 3/4 of the way into a new quarterly bonus. Therefore if you leave the company, they rob you of the bonus that you broke your back for them to earn. The company treats people horrible and is the worst company I have ever worked for. Training is a computer module and hands on training is nearly non existent. You are forced to sign off on training you dont even receive. They push anti-union to a degree that is brushes against the law the way they intimidate you about not talking to union people and reporting anyone who does. DM's sleep with store managers and yearly out of town seminars are nothing more than a chance to chant the mantra during the day, get drunk and sleep with other DM's and managers at night. The Managers that work 40 hours have the worst stores but get away with it if they brown nose the DM and he doesnt say anything. If you are an Asst Mgr and are offered a management position, better to stay an Asst Mgr where you can get OT than to become a Manager and have to work 80 hours a week with no life and no overtime pay. My 2nd last week there I worked 92 hours and slept in my car only to be screamed at because a display had not been set. If you complain to your DM they do nothing but get hard on you. If you complain to HR they blacklist you and will go to any extent to get bogus negative feedback to justify getting rid of you. I have seen fabulous managers weeded out this way. They have no regard at all for their employees. Better to wait tables than work for Big Lots.

Advice to Management

Fire all your DM's and start over. Stop hiring Walmart rejects. Stop abusing employees. If you want good employees, give them a job that they can live off of and pay them a decent wage with a minimum of 30 hours a week. You will never have loyal long term dedicated employees on the floor with your customers if you keep treating them like you dont care. 17-19 hours a week at $7.50 an hour is not a living for anyone. Dedicated employees will give you dedicated customers. Stop trying to be the Walmart alternative. Above all, when you take someone from asst manager to store manager you cannot give them 2 weeks of book training and throw them in a store that has been a mess for over a year and is short the entire supporting managerial staff and then expect them to fix everything without any support, staff, or experience. ALL new store managers should have a mentor that works with them HANDS ON every day for a minimum of 3 months, longer if the store they acquired is FUBAR. Take a look at what Trader Joe's is doing and learn from them. You will never find an unhappy employee at TJ's. they love working there, are paid well, treated well and transfer their enthusiasm into a fabulous guest shopping experience and some of the most dedicated customers in the market. Big Lots could learn a lot from them.

"Assistant Team Leader"

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Freehold, NJ

I worked at Big Lots (More than a year)

Pros

None. None. None. None. None.

Cons

High Turnover rate for management. HR nonexistent to defend managers. They terminate at will. They promote a bully culture. Don't apply.

Advice to Management

Seek other employment in Retail.

8. "FSL"

Current Employee - Fsl in Parkersburg, WV
    Current Employee - Fsl in Parkersburg, WV

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, most of the customers are very nice, you do get vacations and holiday pay, and floating holiday pay

Cons

Full time hours get cut, they try to tell you when u can take vacation, they black out certain days that only the FSL can not take off,work every weekend, no pay, hard work does not pay off there

Advice to Management

My advice really isn't to the management team but the higher ups, you can't keep taking and asking more out of your employee's. Don't threaten jobs with mystery shops. Your gonna drive the best front line employee's right out the door. We have very little money and time to spend with loved ones and you take hours and small holidays away from us. cut your fully payed health care back some and give the front line there perks back!

9. "shady McShady"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to see new products come in on the truck.

Cons

Don't get enough hours to "make a living" >>LET ALONE >> TO SPEND MONEY AND ENJOY THE 20% EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT! The scheduling is ONCALL 24/7 scheduling! You don't get to have a "life". They OWN you!! It is a sweatshop. They don't give managers enough hours to perform stocking or sufficient customer service. The "labor" hours are the bare minimum. HR isn't there for the employees. HR harasses the employees and abuses them. I have been with BL for two decades... it used to be a great place to work. I have watched a HUGE change in the treatment of employees. We had a pretty nice break room in the past. But, now the break room is sparse with furniture and painted stark white... very CLINICAL. There is no "warm and fuzzy" feeling between employees and the hierarchy of this company. The disconnect is HUGE. As well, there is a feeling of cut throat mentality amongst the employees for the sparse hours. People are literally FIGHTING for hours. And because of that hostile environment, politics and special treatment runs rampant. No... BL is not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Quit your jobs. Do something else for a living. Don't work for Big Lots. Big Lots uses their labor like slaves on a plantation. It's all a BIG LIE.

10. "Literal Hell on Earth"

Former Employee - Stock Lead in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Stock Lead in Middletown, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time

Pros

Discount
    There are no other pros to this job

Cons

Upper level management incredibly lazy and clueless.
    Associates are treated like garbage.
    Extremely restricted hours.
    Rarely promote from within.
    Managers rarely actually work they just push their work off onto underpaid, overworked associates.

Advice to Management

Before you open your mouth and berate a hardworking employee, you should actually know what you're talking about. District managers have no idea what goes on in the store, they just come in demanding things be done without taking into account the amount of time and energy and lack of available hours. Management at Big Lots is such a horrible joke. Lastly, I can't say this about every store but the general manager at the Middletown location is horribly and blatantly racist.

"Get over yourselves"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Payson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Payson, AZ

I worked at Big Lots (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are excellent, kind and very complimentary .

Cons

Management is poor and very unprofessional . They chastise employees in front of other employees and customers. They are so disorganized that they cannot stick to giving you a single task until it is completed. They jump around as if they are ADHD. Then complain about a task that they forgot to tell you about in your "training" which is a major joke.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage. Quit acting like an associate who's afraid to get chewed out by the boss. Get organized. Develop some kind of training routine for your new hires. Do not just throw them out on the floor and expect them to know all of your little codes without explanation. Train them on the register. Don't come up behind them and correct them in front of a customer on something that they have seen others say and tell them "If you don't know something ask".There is no reason to be rude and unprofessional. Don't throw common courtesy out of the window. Shame on you.

Showing 233 of 1,057 reviews