Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 26, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Big Lots President and CEO David J. Campisi
David J. Campisi

Pros
  • 20% discount and helpful knowledge to grow as a leader (in 128 reviews)

• Enjoy working for the store to receive great employee discount (in 90 reviews)

1. "Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was one manager that was very understanding that I was a college student and my time for work was limited. She also appreciated my willingness to work, learn new tasks, and take on responsibilities.

Cons

The rest of the management staff saw that willingness to work as an opportunity to take advantage of me and make me do work that they were suppose to be in charge of. The also complained when I would tell them in advance that I had a big project or exam coming up, so I would be working less hours.

Advice to Management

If Pam is still working at the Greensboro branch, she is an amazing manager. The rest of management staff need to learn from her.

2. "CSR/Stocker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Iberia, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Iberia, LA

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Most of the managers were very friendly with me, but disciplined everyone fairly when needed. I remember I had just started there as a stocker and the furniture manager got very upset with someone on my team and threatened to fire the stock team to find people "who will do their job correctly." and he saw me getting very emotional when I got scared about losing the job that I had only been at for 2 weeks. He pulled me to the side a little while later and reassured me that although he was talking to us as a team that I was safe because he knew who the actual problem was. He helped me with car problems, got me food when my pay checks had no extra after bills, etc. The "team leaders" can be very supportive and helpful. It is also very easy to get on with the company.

Cons

If you are not a manager, there is no room to move up what so ever. You are also strictly part time. Getting over 20 hours a week was a miracle.
    Unfortunately, not all managers are supportive, not even if you have known that manager most of your life. This particular one thought I was slacking too much and significantly DECREASED my hours to less than 10 hours a week, knowing I had bills to pay as well as a young child. He never pulled me to the side to tell me that I needed to pick up my speed, it was just a huge slap in the face and I eventually lost my apartment due to inadequate pay. I then asked another manager to switch me to mainly cashier and give me more shifts and was granted as such. (The manager who screwed me over no longer works for the company!👍)
    Also, there are ZERO benefits unless you are a manager. All you get is a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. Be like Manager #1 and address the problem before taking action like manager #2 who didn't have a single care. Be more supportive. Most of you have it, but some of you..... No.

3. "Average Retail Experience"

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers tend to leave you alone as long as you do your job satisfactorily. They don't usually complain if you are productive, even if falling behind or listening to music before the store opens and during truck unloading.

Pretty chill most of the time, just like any other retail experience in dealing with customers and having to multitask or fulfill multiple roles. Managers are usually agreeable and will reward employees with doughnuts, lunch, drinks, and pizza days from time to time.

Cons

Not enough pay for the work that has to be done in my opinion. Also sometimes not enough hours at this particular location for the people that have higher productivity than others. During truck days, we tend to receive more freight than the store can actually hold and put out. Not enough stockers to adequately replenish shelves and rotate stock (from the top shelf and dated items).

From the time I started to today (5/27/2017), I have noticed that most of the people they hire tend to not be very good workers; I'm not sure how much this reflects on the ability of some of the management to properly select individuals for hire.

Advice to Management

As best as you can, please try to hire people that will actually put some effort into working, and make sure that everyone is pulling their weight. Make it known to whomever is in charge of making truck orders that we are a small store and we don't have enough room for all of the food, especially the food, and other things that we are sent on a weekly basis.

Also communicate with whomever you have to that the people who pack the truck for delivery need to a much better job. They constantly put heavy things on top of light things, shrink wrap things that don't need it and ignore those that do, put furniture in the middle of the truck, and so on.

4. "Awesome team mentality!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you value working as a team, this is a great place to work! Generally, everyone is on the same page and wants to help each other meet all of the store goals.

Cons

The turnover rate could be high, making it difficult for those who are committed to making the store great.

5. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount Sales and Merchandising. Stores in several locations around the country.

Cons

Lack of flexibility with neighborhood marketing.

Advice to Management

Give your management teams more flexibility in neighborhood marketing.

"Don't have a voice"

Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Store Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount. Really good benefits. Salary was ok. People that worked at the location I managed were wonderful.

Cons

Need DM'S that will stand behind their management team. When you have a manager that runs one of the best store in the district, let them run it. They know what it takes to run the business and if you want the standards to stay high you have to allow them to schecule to the stores needs.

Advice to Management

When you have a store team leader that"s a true leader and is fair, direct and has high standards. You shouldn't force them to look for better opportunities. I've been back to the store I managed and it's terrible that they have let the standards go and hired the wrong leadership.

7. "Inconsistent"

Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Under the right leadership, great things can be accomplished.
    To be successful, you need to have all leaders for the process.
    If you're lucky to have a DM who believes in you, then you might survive.

Cons

No leader within buildings believe in the process, therefore every store is broken.
    Too much drama with leadership in and out of store.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page.
    Live and breathe the process and believe in where the company wants to head.
    Ensure that top leadership has processes and policies that work consistently throughout all stores.

8. "Operations Supervisor"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people work at the distribution center. Employees have 15+ years experience.

Cons

Upper management not very involved. Very poor work life balance as a salary employee

9. "Would be so simple to improve"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good discount. Special days of the year when your discount is increased.

Cons

Not enough payroll. Your day as a manager is taken up with tasks so you don't get the opportunity to walk the floor and interact with customers like you should. There is no training. New Managers from other companies have been put into problem stores with no training and then blamed for the issues that exist instead of getting the support to solve them.
    The loss prevention policies encourage theft because of a lack of safeguards on customer returns, but if you are a manager in a high shrink store you will get the blame instead of the company solving the issue with some simple common sense changes.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on losses. Stop blaming the store managers and put the responsibility on the shoulders of people who are much higher paid to come up with solutions.
    Give the stores the tools they need to complete all of the tasks. Stop threatening people's jobs when stores are not perfect. THAT IS NOT MANAGEMENT BUT A SHAMEFUL LACK OF IT, and perfect stores do not exist.

10. "cashier"

Former Employee - N/A in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - N/A in Dallas, TX

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

basic working, alright working condidtions

Cons

hassle to deal with multiple tasks at the same time

Advice to Management

care for the employees more

Showing 295 of 1,099 reviews