Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

Big Lots President and CEO David J. Campisi
David J. Campisi

1,142 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 20% discount and helpful knowledge to grow as a leader (in 101 reviews)

• Enjoy working for the store to receive great employee discount (in 93 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It's Amazing, I love the people I work with. We treat each other like family!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in North Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Big Lots part-time

Pros

The people are incredible, I love working mostly because I'm ADHD, so I like a lot of movement!! And when I start something I try my hardest to get it done otherwise it drives me completely crazy.

Cons

There are definitely challenges but your team helps you through it, but if I had to choose one, it would be the rude customers, but everything else is great!!

Advice to Management

Yall are doing a great job!!

"Beware of Big Lots"

Current Employee - Stocker in University Place, WA
    Current Employee - Stocker in University Place, WA

Pros

pay is ok. get to meet new people, you get the satisfaction of helping customers find what they are looking for.

Cons

lack of communication from Management to the other employees, each person in a management position works 11 hour days while everyone else gets cut down to 15 or less hours a week. employees talk about other employees behind their backs to whomever will listen and no one does anything about it. management bad mouths other employees in front of everyone. They only care about sales and not their employees or the customers needs.

Advice to Management

pay attention to your employees and actually listen to what they have to say and stop putting them down. Dont cut their hours to statisfly your needs, cut your hours back so that everyone has hours to work. Don't play favoritism to employees and leave others out of the loop.

"If Steve Fishman only knew"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Customers, customers, customers, customers, customers

Cons

I was actually proud to work for this company at one time until I came to the Denver region. The management in this region are like children in the eighth grade. They enjoy playing games and tearing up peoples lives. They actually fired me for throwing away a swing set that would have harmed children. Apparently his safety certification does not include the safety of children as he was worried more about the bottom line profit.

Advice to Management

Don't stick up for yourself (store managers) or you will be on their hit list and certainly don't tell them if you know something they don't know, If Big Lots as a corporation only knew the misconduct of their district associates.

"Checks and balances"

Current Employee - Everything But Management! in South Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Everything But Management! in South Palm Beach, FL

Pros

New store location,clean,high traffic area,potential growth within a growing company. Challenging work enviorment.

Cons

Mgr(s) lack the skill sets needed to run a store. Demeaning laguage used by mgrs towards employees=lack of respect. Hours given can not support a family let alone ones self. Promotions are far & few between. Cross training, training on a whole non-existent, rules and regulations do not apply. Inventory control (no one knows what it means or how to impliment it). Monthly phone test is a joke, it is answered for you so no one reads. The break down of valuable communications lost due to individuals who just don't care about what thier doing. Lack of professionalism from managers which inturn produces substandard results.

Advice to Management

Take step back and remember first and foremost we are people. We do not work for you, we are all employed by big lots. Be humble, give credit where it is due. Promote individuals that can accomplish the tasks given to them, lead by example, respect is earned not given. Just a few things for you to think about if the aforementioned applies then you are the problem and not the solution.

"Don't Even Go There!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Discount and variety of items available.

Cons

The Upper Level Management doesn't understand what it takes to run a store.
    The hours that you are given compared to the work load are not even close to what is needed to run a store.
    District Manaagers that are not held accountable for their actions on how they treat their Management teams.
    Corporate HR makes it almost impossible to terminate employees that are worthless.

Advice to Management

Get a clue of what is going on at the store level, don't assume that it is always the Store Management team that is at fault. Maybe you should look at the District Leadership and hold them accountable.

6. "Employee Appreciation"

Former Employee - Merchandise Stocker in Inverness, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Stocker in Inverness, FL

Pros

I love the job that I did.
    Good employee discount.
    Flexible with employee private life.

Cons

Worked for the company 6 years and in the last 6 months it has been terrible.
    No matter how you do your job they are just not happy with it.
    I was going on my second write-up in the last 4-5 months for not putting out enough stock.
    The first time I got written up it was right after I stood up for a lady that has worked there longer that me. She is 84 and stocks merchandise. It is obvious they are trying to get rid of her so they wrote her up for not putting out enough stock. Her and I are the only ones that got written up that time even though others weren't gotting out enough stock. Employees are remined regularly that managers are not going to lose their jobs for them and if you don't do better you will be fired.

Advice to Management

I don't know if its the district I worked in or the whole company but the employees are not treated fairly in Inverness, FL. Someone needs to look into this.

"Horrible."

Former Employee - Furniture Manager Big Lots in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Furniture Manager Big Lots in Louisville, KY

Pros

The hours were okay. However I had to work if someone called in sick. Got old quick

Cons

The management is on a high horse. They are horrible.

Advice to Management

Go to school.

"Terrible to work for."

Current Employee - No Longer Employed There in Inverness, FL
    Current Employee - No Longer Employed There in Inverness, FL

Pros

Good discount.
    Good with requesting time off.

Cons

Non-management not appreciated.
    Management reminds you weekly that you can be fired.
    When I started there we had to do 17 boxes an hour, then it went to 22, now I hear it's 30.

Advice to Management

Stop threatening employee's with their jobs.
    Stand up to upper level.
    Show your employee's you appreciate them.

"Work here only if you can't find any place else to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

All employees have a 20% off discount.

Cons

1. Poor training.
    2. Stores get dumped on with freight clogging up the warehouse with no way to work it.
    3. Payroll very tight.
    4. A lot of stores are old, messy and dirty.

"SWEAT"

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

As a manager pay is middling, but not wildly out of line with other retailers. The only good reason to join the compang to gain experience to move to a better retailer

Cons

There is little to no training. Managers due little to no management, instead stocking shelves cleaning etc. Associates are expected to due the work of three

Advice to Management

There must be a real and lasting effort to effectively communicate with store management from a corporate level. It is inane to communicate nothing about new or upcoming changes.

Showing 1,142 of 1,156 reviews